“Traditional Italian bistro” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
california
“Traditional Italian bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

This restaurant reminds me a lot of Italian restaurants I have visited in Chicago and Santa Monica. There is an old-fashioned quality from the decor to the level of service. This is a family restaurant, but also could be a great place to take a date or have a romantic night out. The prices are medium range with the most expensive items on the menu running about $20.

Servers are attentive. My water glass never fell below half-full. I came here with my teenage son. My son gobbled down the bread sticks, which came warm, fluffy, with a dusting of herbs. The bread sticks were served with an oil and balsamic vinegar dipping sauce sprinkled with ground pepper and other seasonings. The seasonings were a bit over-done, but otherwise quite good.

Entrees can be ordered with Caesar salad, house salad, or your choice of minestrone soup or soup of the day. The soup of the day was a clam chowder (it being a Friday night). The soup was served as a small cup, but more than sufficient. It was accompanied with oyster crackers, which certainly recalled another era. The clam chowder was rich and full-bodied. My son declared the soup itself a meal.

My son ordered a penne pasta with broccoli and chicken in a cream sauce. It was a large, generous serving, dusted with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. There was enough leftover to take home for another meal next day. I ordered the Osso Busso, a lamb dish over risotto. The risotto was done well, not overcooked or starchy, just the right amount of creaminess. The lamb was perfection, falling off the bone, and a lovely gravy.

This place is a definite come-again....and again...and again. I have no doubt that if I was a regular visitor the staff would recognize me and we would develop a long and wonderful relationship.

• Visited July 2011

Sacramento, California
“Old-style family restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

We found this restaurant by accident: we were returning from a day trip to Monterey when we got caught in rush hour traffic; when we realized we could be stuck until 7 p.m. on the freeway, we decided to pull off in Campbell and eat dinner there. A cashier at a gas station directed us to Mama Mia's and told us she and her boyfriend ate there regularly. No wonder: this is a very friendly family-style restaurant, the kind of Italian restaurant I remember from my childhood. The menu features traditional favorites like spaghetti and meatballs and ravioli, all served either a la carte or in dinner packages that include a cup of soup, salad and bread. (The bread was wonderful, herb-crusted and served with a flavored olive oil.) The vegetarian in our group ordered the grilled eggplant from the appetizer menu, and said it was "wonderful." I also ordered from the appetizer menu the calamari and a ceasar salad with a glass of sauvignon blanc. The calamari was crisp on the outside, tender inside, perfectly done, and served with both red cocktail and creamy horseradish sauces. Our big eaters opted for the steak special and the personal-sized pizza "with everything." I heard no complaints, but then they were too busy eating to say anything. Our server was pleasant and attentive, as was the manager, who greeted everyone coming in. I haven't eaten food like this in a long while, and it made me a little nostalgic for the old-fashioned Italian restaurants I used to eat at in places like Chicago and New Jersey. Good food, good people.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good value. Food is consistatnly good, not over priced. Nice neighborhood feel. Friendly staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good italian food, been...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

Good italian food, been around for a while. may be a wait to eat there during dinner time.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I would not call this food italian”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2007

I would not call this food italian

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Mama Mia's? Share your experiences!