“Not my Favorite..”

Elephant Bar Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Elephant Bar Restaurant is a scratch-kitchen specializing in globally-inspired dishes and traditional, American fare. Our food is all made from scratch using the best, locally-sourced ingredients available. All of our cocktails are made fresh when you order, handcrafted in-house by our mixologists. Brunch is offered on weekends 10am-2pm with brunch cocktails, patio dining, and delicious specialty brunch entrees. We've kept the same, great Elephant Bar Restaurant exclusives you've come to love...but made them better, using only made-from- scratch methods and high-quality ingredients. Better menu items, new craft cocktails, new wine list, and new brunch cocktails. We've completely evolved.We can't wait to see you soon!
Reviewed January 21, 2012

if you want to have a conversation with friends or family while you enjoy your meal, this is not the best place to do it. It's always so noisy in this restaurant that it really detracts from the experience. The food is good, but nothing special really. Typical "fusion" fare. And it can be quite a long wait to be seated during peak meal times.

There are newer reviews for Elephant Bar Restaurant

Reviewed January 8, 2012

They lost our reservation. The service was fake-smile friendly, but obviously annoyed by any requests. Some of the food was okay, some wasn't worth eating. (Applebee's food is much better as far as chain-restaurants go.)
Our family will not return.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We eat here often and look forward to returning each time. The menu is fairly large and the food is very enjoyable. The atmosphere is fun, but the restaurant is always noisy (poor acoustical design of the dining room). The food keeps us coming back, though.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

Since I was there a week or so ago, I thought my negative feelings might change.

They haven't.

This is a crazed food carnival spinning out of control.

It's noisy and bright with untrained and unprofessional servers, undistinguished and badly prepared food.

Examples: Ordering fish, "blackened," seemed to baffle our server. She kept asking "sautéed or grilled?" I said, "Blackened, like it says on the menu."

She remained confused and, as a working, professional Chef and line cook, I told her that "blackened" meant covered in blackening salt/pepper seasoning and quickly seared in a super hot frying pan or skillet. This is the method. Grilling and sautéing is not. She did not get it. The main issue was that I said I did not want any oil or butter on the fish. She was lost. What I expected her to do was go back and ask the cooks how they would handle it. She didn't do that.

What came to the table was an oil-drenched, greasy, half cooked, probably previously grilled (it had grill marks, although these looked suspiciously like supplier-provided, single serving versions, not done in the restaurant), filet of fish.

I sent it back.

Consulting with the server about what could come out fast, I ordered a half rack of ribs and this took so long that when it came, my companions had long since finished their meals. The ribs were pathetic. Cold, with little or no meat and had a side of limp, cold French fries and a few bits of lettuce leaves and a small ramekin of canned pear slices.

Meanwhile, our drinks were not refilled, there was little or no dialogue with the server and the place was a Wild West show with screaming kids, (one couple at the next table tried to set up a playpen in the crowded aisle) and ambient noise was so bad you could not carry on a conversation without shouting. General chaos.

We paid the bill, left a 10% (too much, given the service), and left.

No "sorry," no offers to make good next time until the email message a week later, (see below). Nothing. But managers wandered about, seeming to be doing little.

After writing a terse email message to the general manager when I got home, I got a boilerplate "sorry 'bout that" and a promise to send me some sort of response.

My final take is that this is a very badly managed operation with little or no oversight or strategy regarding what comes out of the kitchen and what goes on in the dining room(s). Their only goal is to move diners in and out, turning over tables as quickly as possible.

Seeing that 85% of the reviews on this site seem to have had similar experiences and found it as bad as I did, it would seem clear that with so many other good places to go, the hungry masses would go elsewhere.

1  Thank jjstives
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Just recently had a birthday lunch at the Elephant Bar on request that we heard it was "really good". I have to say that it was not! The food was horrible, and out of 9 people that dined with us only 1 person thought their entree was good... only it was a kids meal that one of the kids ordered with us! The prices are a little high but for what you get it is too high! Throughout the whole lunch the General Manager would be talking to the Assistant General Manager right next to our table and kept sending us glances while trying to enjoy a birthday. Waitresses are not professional at all and never came back for refills on drinks or to ask us if we needed anything else. At the end of the meal I was finishing up the Kids menu French fries and our waitress just came and picked it up thinking that I was done with it.

Extremely dissatisfied and with Campbell having some good restaurants, go somewhere else!