“Convenient, Clean and Friendly Staff”

Larkspur Landing Campbell
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was in the area for a family celebration and stayed at this hotel for four nights. The rooms are clean spacious and comfortable and the staff is helpful. I did have trouble with the WiFi as it would go on and off depending on where in the room I was. The phone beeped at 4:00AM for two nights in a row and when I complained an engineer was sent to take a look. The problem seemed to be resolved on the third night but then on the fourth and last night, at 5:00AM there was noise coming from the phone. These are the reasons for only four stars.
The location is convenient and parking abundant.
I had a problem with my bill which was taken care of by the manager quickly and courteously. This is a great place to stay if you are in the San Jose area.

Room Tip: Try for a room without young children overhead.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
LLCAMPBELL, Front Office Manager at Larkspur Landing Campbell, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

DearNewyorkLonghorn,

First and foremost we would like to thank you for choosing The Larkspur Landing Campbell during your visit to the Campbell South Bay area, we realize that you have many options for your lodging purposes and as such we are truly appreciative that you chose our hotel.

We whole heartedly apologize for any loss of sleep our phone system may have brought you, I will make sure to check in with our Engineer to ensure this won't happen again with any of our other guests. We are happy to have assisted you with your bill upon check-out and we truly appreciate your understanding. On behalf of the entire staff we thank you for making this a home away from home!

There are newer reviews for Larkspur Landing Campbell

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We just stayed a few days at the Larkspur Landing in Campbell and were very pleasantly surprised. Easy parking, easy check in with fresh cookies at the front desk, nice rooms with kitchens, very comfortable bed, washer/dryer if you need it, and a complimentary continental breakfast. We paid $100 per night for the two of us. Excellent small hotel and we will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
LLCAMPBELL, Front Office Manager at Larkspur Landing Campbell, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Alanmhersh,
Thank you so much for you review, we truly appreciate the time you put towards what you feel about the hotel, I noticed that you are a very active reviewer on Tripadvisor and as such your review is taken with great regard! In a perfect world all our reviews would look like yours but all we can hope for is to do our very best to meet and/or exceed the expectations of our valued guests.
From all of us at the Larkspur Landing Campbell: Thank you!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel during the November holidays. We usually just book something sight unseen through Hotwire in a rush and it has always worked out both in terms of value and securing a higher end hotel.

This trip we decided to try something different and paid in advance to get the discount at Larkspur Landing. Although Larkspur was still a bit higher than we usually pay, it provided a larger room, continental breakfast and was closer to the people we were visiting......so it seemed a fair trade off.

Previous reviews suggested the 4th floor for quiet which we found to be excellent advice, and in truth, the entire hotel was very quiet even fully booked during a holiday, which we appreciate. Our suite layout was well thought out, the kitchenette was great and we LOVED the balcony in the early morning or late evening. The balcony on the 4th floor/ back of the hotel over the parking lot.....at night or early AM, the view is above & beyond the parking lot into trees and is calm & peaceful! +++ on these things!

Unfortunately, we ran into other things that made us decide we probably will not return next year.

1) We are up and out early to spend time with family who live in Northern Calif. Every morning except one, the breakfast set up was late. It was supposed to be ready by 6:00 AM...... It was very very late one morning and we needed to skip it 2 out of 4 days. Because everything was not set up and ready when we came down at 6:00 or 6:15 am, it was hard to determine what was available. We did not need a large breakfast....... just to grab a quick little something to send us on our way out the door by 7:00 am. The hardbolied eggs were good, the plastic bottled juice selection was not 100% juice in most cases......most were the high fructose/corn syrup "juice cocktail" variety so we skipped it. White bread and bagels and sweet rolls from the supermarket , some boxed cereal and some apples and bananas. Coffee & tea WAS available 24/7 which was nice, but the cookies mentioned repeatedly on the website were limited or completely gone at the front desk after 8 pm.

2) Twice I asked questions (in person) of the front desk staff - once about the usual booklets/notebooks (which were missing from our room and that every hotel we've EVER stayed in provide) to answer general room questions.......area attractions, fire escapes, local churches etc........I was told that Larkspur doesn't provide those and I should look at the hotel TV site and was handed a 3 X 6 tri-fold marketing piece on the hotel........strike one.
My second question was to a different front desk person on another day and was about a chef academy which is very close to the hotel, if not across the street.......she had no idea what I was talking about and said so, didn't think there was anything like that close by and suggested I check Google. After checking on my own I found that there IS a cooking school across the street from the hotel......... strike two.

One night we returned very late and the heat was turned on HIGH in our suite..... we finally found the thermostat and turned it off..... however there was still a fan or vent running in the bedroom that blew air and made a clicking noise.......we were exhausted and looked all over the suite for a switch, a box etc.....and discovered a dial that looked like a regular light switch and we turned it off. (Remember my earlier question to the front desk about the usual hotel notebook that cover these garden variety issues?)

The following are not items that I would usually worry about, people are human, but because it IS the several service related "little things" that tarnished a nice stay in a quiet, beautiful hotel, in a convenient location and persuaded us to decide that it may not be worth the price next time, I will share these and hope the hotel takes note.....again...these are service related, not facility or location.

1) Upon first arrival there was still trash in the kitchen trash can under the sink. Disgusting, but not a showstopper.....SLOPPY SERVICE TRAINING.
2) The hotel website repeatedly highlights a some sort of "name brand" bath products we were not familiar with ........whatever they are, these are no more than the minimum and ordinary motel type small bottles of shampoo, conditioner and hand lotion - no more, no less.

All in all, I think this hotel has great potential - location, physical building & parking were perfect for us, MAYBE it was an off week...... but the devil was in the details.......untrained front desk & housekeeping staff, repeatedly late breakfast buffets and a corporate marketing/website that highlighted silly items like unimpressive bath soap, cookies, and a continental breakfast that was late AND poor quality.

We clearly liked certain things about Larkspur, but for my dollar, service goes hand in hand with location & property. If you cannot provide an excellent product on both counts, the high price isn't merited.

Room Tip: 4th floor at the back for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank roadtripmom2013

Dear Roadtripmom2013,
Thank you for your survey; it is with great regret to read in how many aspects of the stay we failed to meet your expectations. Our aim is to provide all of our guests with respect, genuine care and a product of great quality which our loyal customers have come to expect from the Larkspur Brand. I can give you all the reasons why we may have failed to meet your expectations due to a turnover we recently experienced in staffing but at the end of the day we still did not provide you with service in the quality that you deserve as a valued customer.
I can assure you that your observation shall be shared with the staff in our next training/meeting session. We hope that in the future you allow us the opportunity to service you better should you choose to stay with us again. Thank you and on behalf of the staff we wish you a wonderful new year!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the past month and they have been wonderful. All of the staff is friendly and helpful Jose the manager was especially accommodating. The rooms are clean and have a great kitchen and table.
I set up my computer on the table and had a great work station using the hotels Ethernet.
The hotel is situated in a good area, close to the freeway and close to lots of stores. The post office just across the street is fast and convenient if you need to send anything home.
I am looking forward to my next visit in the summer.

Room Tip: Call the hotel about prices before using a travel website.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
LLCAMPBELL, Front Office Manager at Larkspur Landing Campbell, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Marci D,
From all of us at the Larkspur Landing Campbell: thank you so much for staying with us! we realize how hectic it could be when trying to find a hotel when traveling from abroad and only basing yourself off of reviews and photos but we are truly happy that out of the many choices you have when staying in the Campbell Area you chose to stay with us!

We eagerly look forward to having you during the summer of 2014 and of course should you need anything please let us know how we can be of assistance.
On behalf of the Staff: Chag Sameach!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Whenever we come to visit our children in Campbell we stay at the Larkspur Inn. The staff is exceptional. If we have any requests, the staff goes out of their way to satisfy them, The beds are comfy and the healthy breakfast has something for everyone. The kitchen has a full sized refrigerator ad the WiFi is easy to access. Thank you Larkspur Landing Campbell!

Room Tip: the 1 bedroom suites are an excellent value
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank betsey n

Dear Betsey N,

Thank you so much for such a great review, we realize that during the holidays people take the time to visit their loved ones and aim to spend as much time as possible with them; as such it is our pleasure to do as much as possible to ensure our guests’ comfort and to make their stay as smooth as possible so that you may spend the time with family and friends during the holiday season!
Thank you once again and from all of us Seasons Greetings!!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have booked rooms at this hotel for our out of town guests for several years. Every stay our visitors have had here has been a completely positive experience. The rooms are spacious mini suites, clean and very comfortable. There is a small kitchen if you want to prepare your own food and a nice continental breakfast offered as well. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. All of our visitors have been very happy with their experiences here. I have had occasion to stay here myself during a local power outage and had the same experience. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathy N

Dear Kathy N,

Thank you so much for your review, with all honesty I can't tell how much we truly appreciate your kind words about the hotel. It brings us great joy to hear that you and your guests have had such a wonderful experience staying with us and we hope to host you and your guests with the same level of service you have come to expect from us.
Thank you once again and Happy Holidays!!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions. I have never written a review for this hotel but since our last stay was so good I thought it an appropriate time to write the following: The Larkspur is a very comfortable, and clean location. The beds are always very comfortable, and the staff is always accommodating and pleasant. The breakfast in the morning is adequate and saves a lot of money if your stay is extended for any amount of time.

I highly recommend this location to anyone staying in the San Jose, area. Always check out down town Campbell for cool dining and shops. Do not miss the San Luis Creek trail for a nice run, walk or bike ride too. Just a quick note do not stay at the CAMPBELL INN as it is "cheezy" and not too clean. you get what you pay for. The Larkspur is a great choice. Letty the supervisor there is great and the amenities in this hotel are excellent.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite. The "board room(s)" is the biggest and best rooms in the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
LLCAMPBELL, Front Office Manager at Larkspur Landing Campbell, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear CM,

We truly appreciate your kind words, I'm especially happy that Lety was able to give you a genuinely warm experience. Because we know there is always room for improvement I often share all our reviews with the staff in hope to hone in best practice and to also solidify what we excel on.
Our guest’s satisfaction is our goal and given the opportunity; we do everything in our power to ensure that every stay is a great one. It’s especially wonderful when our guest allow us to come to a reasonable resolution. We truly look forward to having you stay with us once again and to give us the opportunity to serve you better!