“Great Value while Staying in San JOse”

Larkspur Landing Campbell
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Value while Staying in San JOse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2007

The Larkspur Landing is an excellent hotel. Every room is mini-suite with a full size kitchen. The rooms are modern, in functionality and look. The wireless internet works well and there is an exercise room and hot tub.
The proximity to downtown San Jose and downtown Campbell, make this place great for business. There are several excellent restaurants and general shopping within a short drive.
Whenever I stay in San Jose, I stay at the Larkspur Landing.

• Liked — Full size kitchen.
  • Disliked — You have to drive to go anywhere, but that is the nature of the area.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

We arrived at 2am in the morning, and I was exhausted. However, the front desk guy was very understanding. I guess he could see how tired I was. He was very friendly. He asked about my trip and made a point to make a speedy check-in. The rooms had nice furniture, and the carpet was very clean. But like another reviewer, when we pulled out an extra comforter out of the closet, it was soiled; however, they corrected the error. I have a few complaints about housekeeping: We stayed nine days, and some days our room was missed, and I had to call the front desk. The housekeeper did a poor job cleaning the dishes, and she did not wipe the counters in the kitchen. She did not sweep the bathroom, or clean the bathroom counters. We also had several instances of a backed up toilet. On the positive side, the bed was absolutely the best bed I have ever slept in, the internet service was very good, the location is around a lot of attractions, but there is a major highway that is in front of the hotel. You can definitely hear minor traffic noice, and I agree with another reviewer that the walls are rather thin. In spite of the negatives, I would stay at this hotel again, and I do recommend it. But it is a little pricey at $169.00 per night!

• Stayed March 2007
niftyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

I am not a picky traveler and I write a lot of positive reviews. However, the Larkspur really went out of its way to deserve this bad review.

We chose a suite so that our six-year old daughter could stay on the sofa bed in the front room. When we arrived the sofa bed was not made up, and when we removed the sheets from the closet they were badly soiled. When I called the front desk they didn't seem surprised or concerned, and they certainly didn't apologize -- it made me wonder if this is a regular event?

When we removed the sofa cushions to open the folding bed, the underside of one cushion had what appeared to be a fairly recent vomit stain that had been unsuccessfully cleaned.

Some of the staff seemed inexperienced, while other staff behaved in ways I did not understand. For instance, I told the staff I would be leaving very early in the morning and I wondered if there was an express or self- check out to speed things up on our departure. They said no -- that the only way to check out was at the front desk, which was staffed 24 hours per day and "very fast." When I tried to check out at 5 a.m., the desk was not manned. When the clerk returned and began to check us out, he was remarkably slow. For instance, he slooooowly retrieved a DVD rental slip from a file and asked us if we had returned the DVD. I saw the slip was clearly already signed by a hotel staff member and it had a "time returned" noted on it. I said that we did return it, and he apparently didn't believe me, because he went to the back room and painstakingly sorted through all of the DVDs until he found the one that I borrowed. He did this without speaking to me -- he just turned his back and left me at the desk waiting.

My daughter and wife experienced severe allergies during our stay, which we attributed to the weather. However, on the day we were checking out we noticed that one corner of the living room smelled like urine (perhaps from a pet?) and we found some pet hair after we went looking for it. My wife and daughter are allergic to dogs and cats.

The other things seem minor compared to the above, but I'll list them anyway:

The bedroom did not have any air conditioning, only a fan connecting it to the living room. The fan did not work well and was noisy -- it was muggy and hot all night in our bedroom, while the front room was too cold.

The walls were thin and we often heard people in neighboring rooms talking.

The lobby was nicely decorated but the guest rooms seemed underfurnished. Our bedroom seemed to be missing furniture, or perhaps it was designed with a very spartan style. Chunky spray-on white ceiling, white walls, a very small number of inexpensive looking prints on the walls, view of parking lot with buzzing parking lot light outside my window -- I felt down-at-heels staying there.

There were some nice amenities -- free internet, breakfast, and the free DVD rental was very nice. But they hardly made up for the rest of it. Overall, I guess my family has a high tolerance for vomit stains and urine smells, because I wouldn't call it a fiasco. Just a failure. Stay away!

• Liked — DVD players in room with free DVD borrowing
  • Disliked — stains and bodily fluids from other guests
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank niftyc
Lincoln, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

Stayed Friday night. Got a better rate than their Web site by calling in and getting a senior discount. They made us(?) sign a "no party in the room" agreement, said everyone has to on weekends. $500 fine mentioned on the form.
I agree with the other reviews except the bed was sagging badly in the middle, making it impossible for us to use all of the queen bed.
Also, the spa is small - 3 ft. sq.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2007

I had my first experience with a Larkspur property in Folsom, and when I found out that there was one near my company's HQ in San Jose, I was extremely pleased. It is a straight shot down the San Tomas to the company, so I was extra happy.

I have been very pleased with Larkspur properties at which I have stayed. They cater to the business traveler, with suite-style lodgings, roomy desks with full computer setup (plug-ins, business center, etc). And the beds are to die for. So amazingly comfortable, you don't mind traveling for business.

I liked that I could do it up like an apartment for a couple days. I went down to Trader Joe's and stocked the fridge with necessaries--cream for my coffee, evening munchies, Bailey's to unwind after work, etc.

The breakfasts are great. Fruit, cereal, milk, coffee, juices, string cheese, bagels and cream cheese, yogurt....it's also nice to have it in a community setting. You can get to know your fellow travelers, or be a hermit. Your choice.

This Larkspur facility is a bit older than the one at which I stayed in Folsom. I noticed a bit more chipped paint on corridor corners-- that type of thing. But for the most part, it was clean and in good repair. There was plentiful parking, and decent water pressure.

The location is good. You're down Hamilton Avenue from several major shopping centers with a Red Robin, Trader Joe's, ice cream shop, drugstore, and a Mimi's. If you're like me and get misty eyed when someone mentions hollandaise, and want a little more than a continental breakfast, Mimi's is a good bet.

After reading the report from the more recent traveler who had jewelry stolen, I will be a bit more protective about locking up items while I am gone, but that would include mostly my laptop, as I am not a jewelry wearer. I still enjoy the comfort of the Larkspur vs. the Extended Stay they normally book us at.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank miselainis
NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on business in October. Jewelry was stolen from my room by someone with access to the room. I reported the theft, filed a police report and discussed it with management. The hotel did not investigate but simply turned it over to their insurance which, of course, denied the claim.

Don't let what happened to me, happen to you - avoid this hotel at all costs. They do not protect their guests!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Theft from my room!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank loves2golf
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2007

We stayed in the exec. suite for a great price considering the kitchenette, 2 TVs, a VCR in the bedroom & a DVD player in the sitting room, & the MOST COMFORTABLE BED.
Pros - easy reservations on the website, cookies at check in, clean, quiet, gym & jacuzzi, laundry facilities, Starbucks in the lobby area, a queen size sofa sleeper, bring some DVDs if you have kids, & no problems w/the high speed wireless access. There is a business center avail. which we did not use.
Con - pillow menu not given as the other reviews had mentioned - we called & were told housekeeping had left for the night.
The pros definitely outweigh the cons. We plan on staying here again when we visit up north.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Campbell - Pruneyard Plaza
Toll House Hotel
Toll House Hotel
#1 of 6 in Los Gatos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,017 reviews

Been to Larkspur Landing Campbell? Share your experiences!