“One night” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
Fresno, California
“One night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

It was in a good location. . Easy to get around. .Rooms were OK. . Clean. .A little outdated. . But overall it was decent. .A little noisy.. You had to go upstairs for breakfast. .Plenty of TV stations but the TV itself was old. . Color not great. .I had to plug in lamps myself to get things working and it did have a room refrigerator but it didn't cool things down very well. .

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

San Luis Obispo, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I wouldn't have stayed here based upon the other reviews, but the reservation was made by my employer. Everything the other reviewers said was correct:

The beds are atrocious. The mattresses (and there are in fact 2!) are those old foam cushions from summer camp - they are covered with white and blue striped fabric, and are only 5 inches thick. They are not mattresses - there is no internal support - it is just spongy foam. To make them appear as if they were mattresses - they stack 2 of these on top of the box spring, which makes them even more spongy.

The linens are filthy. I put the top mattress on the floor, because there was no sleeping on something without any support, and saw the mattress cover - OMG. It was covered in body fluids, the entire thing was stained. I don't know how anyone could put new sheets on top of that vile thing and think it was OK.

One pillow case was grey. All of the towels were ripped and stained. The sheets were cheap polyester blends with stains. I used a sleeping bag instead it was so bad.

The furniture is from the early 70s and is entirely stained and faded. I have never seen anything that bad even in really cheap motels. The carpet is badly stained. There was a big brown stain around the toilet. The door frame was split apart from someone breaking into the chain lock.

This was supposed to have been elegant, in Hearst style, back several decades ago. It has this facade of elegance with the chandaleres and statues, but it is actually very gaudy. I know it is a famous status, but I did't appreciate naked penis at eye level right by the elevator.

I had contacted the motel a week ahead to have a microwave in the room, and they confirmed my request, but when I checked in there was none. The desk person was clueless and said they were already used by other people and he had no record of the request. Luckily the breakfast room guy was nice and heated something up for me. The food did look slightly better than normal quality, but I didn't eat it. I don't eat motel food as a rule. The coffee was good.

The road is very noisy and the heater/fan makes almost no noise to cover it up. Even the room facing the back still had road noise. The rooms are big and I didn't hear the neighbors.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel is nicely located and priced well, especially for the area. The breakfasts offer a nice selection to please most palates. The room itself was quite large, but the bathroom was rather grubby and didn't feel like it had been thoroughly cleaned in quite some time. The carpet in the room was stained and equally dirty. The sheets on the beds, while appearing to be clean, were threadbare and so thin that they felt like they could be torn when one turned over during the night. Towels weren't much better. Room amenities were basic, but somewhat outdated (old tv, etc.). No view from the window (a wall about 4 feet away). Lobby and public areas had a very European feel with statues and art that reflected that. The room safe wouldn't lock.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise ask for a room towards the back of the hotel (away from Bascom).
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Lynda33
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I'm in love with this hotel! Booked it sight-unseen based on so many positive recommendations. It's a small hotel, just two stories in a nondescript area. The hotel lobby is small and funky, with odd old reproductions of art and statues. We're thinking "whaaat?" Room 228 is HUGE. It could easily hold two king beds. The bathroom is all marble and again, huge. Also a nice closet with safe and a small refrigerator. Good sized desk, two phones and a comfortable sofa and chair. You would expect to pay lots more for a room like this. Again, the weird Renaissance artwork. My husband thought it was tacky, I thought it was charming. Excellent breakfast in the morning including eggs and bacon. My only complaint is the towels and sheets need upgrading.

Room Tip: We were in room 228, but the front desk said they are all the same.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 101547
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Pros...
Great front-desk service with smile
Clean, large rooms
Gym has treadmill, bike, elliptical
WiFi is good

Cons...
Breakfast is limited, no fruits...closes at 9 AM (instead of 10 AM)
Gym has no towels, no TV, no water-fountain
Room has no coffeemaker, just instant coffee
Traffic noise from Bascom Ave can be an issue

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank assamese
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was looking for an inexpensive small hotel, but one that was not in a risky neighborhood or one with rooms that are falling apart. The Bristol Hotel was a nice find for me. The value of what I got for the price was outstanding.

Pros
1. Located in a reasonably nice part of town. I felt safe in this area.
2. Parking was a breeze, and my car was always close to the entrance.
3. Staff was super nice.
4. The decor is nice. Maybe a touch on the cheesy side, but still nice.
5. I stayed in an "executive king" room and it was HUGE! I like some space, and this room had it.
6. The included breakfast was good, with both hot and cold food options.
7. The price was right for my budget.

Cons
1. My one big complaint was that I found my bed mattress to be very uncomfortable. No matter what part of the bed I moved to I woke feeling I was sunken into a hole. I don't know if the mattress was old or just way too soft for me, but this factor did reduce my sleep.

2. Though my room was huge in square footage, it didn't have furnishings to match. The desk was way over in one corner and the bed and TV were on the other end. Between them was basically a ton of empty space. I guess this is not really a "con" but more an observation.

3. The TV was an old CRT tube unit, and it did not offer the "sleep" function that I love to use in a hotel to help me fall asleep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank RobertoCalifornia
Marysville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Staff was helpful and polite, rooms were spacious and clean and the breakfast was good. Everything was delicious and hot. We even had some family that lived in the area come over and share it with us and no one said anything. The hotel was beautiful and I loved the high cealings, light fixtures, statuary and marble bathrooms. The parking lot was secluded and safe, unlike some of the other hotels in the area where I read they had regular break ins. We did not visit the work out room so I can't comment on that. The pillows on the couch were a bit stained, but all in all we had a nice stay while we were in town for the daughters wedding.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room that faced the street and it was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annie G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell
Larkspur Landing Campbell
Campbell Inn
Campbell Inn
#7 of 9 in Campbell
3.0 of 5 stars 140 reviews

Been to Clarion Collection Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!