“This posada is a great lodging value”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rincon de La Vieja
La Posada el Encuentro
Tilaran, Costa Rica
“This posada is a great lodging value”
Reviewed May 11, 2007

My wife and I are a Costa Rican couple who just came back home from our stay at Posada el Encuentro. I can't wait to go back to this posada!

My wife and I stayed three nights and we wish we had stayed at least two more nights. There's a lot to do in the Rincon de la Vieja area and Posada el Encuentro is in our opinion the best lodging option to plan your trip to this beautiful region. The owners, Luis and Sharon, give this B&B a very special touch. The food was delicious, the rooms big and super clean and the views from the back of the property were superb. Don Luis is one of the most accommodating and courteous persons we know. We plan to go back to Posada el Encuentro before the end of this year, so, Luis and Sharon, Roxy and I will see you again!

Regards,
Mauricio and Roxana

• Liked — The rooms, the value, the owners.
  • Disliked — Internet access
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Business
santa fe, NM
Reviewed April 17, 2007

My family (2 adults, 3 boys 12, 8 and 6 yrs old) stayed at the Posada in mid March, 2007. We LOVED the experience. Luis and Sharon (the owners) made our stay perfect. They are incredibly helpful, hardworking, very knowledgeable, extremally warm and pleasant folks!

We stayed in their family-sized cabina - it was HUGE with 5 beds! Windows on all sides for a beautiful view. And spotlessly clean!

We loved the swimming pool and the terrace with the gorgeous view of Rincon de la Vieja. What a great way to relax: the kids played for hours in the pool and we adults visited and read our books! We really liked the other guests...

We also very much enjoyed all our meals! Sharon is a very good cook and was really great about preparing meals that the adults liked and the kids, too!

Luis' english is excellent and he was delightful. I had originally contacted him by email; he responded immediately and had answers to all my questions.

I had asked Luis to help arrange transportation for us to the Liberia border - he drove us himself! And at the border, he walked us all the way into Nicaragua (through 3 checkpoints!) just to make sure that we were OK and even helped us find a good taxi driver! What a super nice person!

We also spent a day doing the activities at the Hacieda Guachipelin ($75 for all you could fit in and included a huge buffet lunch)! We loved the tubing (unforgettable!), the excellent and safe zipline, and the mudbaths... it was hilarious using paintbrushes to cover our bodies with mud!

But we were VERY glad to return to the Posada where we were welcomed like family!

• Liked — Great location near Rincon de la Vieja, fabulous owners
  • Disliked — The driveway is very rough...
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Monteverde
Reviewed March 5, 2007

I've just returned from a 3 night stay at La Posada el Encuentro with 3 generations of my family, and we couldn't have been happier with our stay! We booked based largely on reccommendations from TripAdvisor, as the hotel has only been in operation for a bit longer than a year, and they are not listed in the guidebooks yet... and we are so glad we did. Luis and his family who own and operate this small B&B style hacienda are absolutely wonderful hosts, and they did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable- not something easy when we ranged from an 8 year old boy, to his 73 year old grandmother.

As others have noted, the food here is also superb-- it is NOT typical Tico fare (I live in Costa Rica, and I know what local food is!). Meals ranged from some fantastic tenderloin with red wine sauce, to several very nice chicken dishes, to a pasta with seafood & cream sauce that Julia Child would have been proud of (including the cream & butter content) ;-) --not so good for the waistline, but heavely for the tummy! They also made nice small kid's dishes too. And if you {: Z SAXZ something special, or cooked just so, nothing was a problem-- it's tough to please my mom, and they managed beautifully!

As for the place itself, it is very easy to get to (the roads are much better than described if you've driven other places in Central America), and the setting is gorgeous. The photos on-line do not do the place justice. The main building is very well designed and built, and spotless clean. The view over the canyon at the back is breathtaking, and if you are lucky, you'll catch one of the fantastic sunsets. And finally, Rincon de La Vieja National Park was great! Lots of little volcanic mudpots and fumeroles (reminded me of a mini-Yellowstone), plus all the typical Costa Rican wildlife. We saw howler monkeys, coatis, iguanas, and lots of birds, and had a marvelous swim under a crystal clear waterfall.

Overall, this was one of my favorite spots in Costa Rica- we can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The people and the place
  • Disliked — it was a bit hot (they were having a local heat wave), but cooled off OK at night.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank scotty23
Phoenix
Reviewed January 23, 2007

I was just emailing a friend about this fabulous B&B when it occurred to me to share my experience on Trip Advisor. Our stay at Posada El Encuentro was great. The owner, Luis Venegas, sat and talked with us for at least two hours. His wife Sharon is a fabulous cook and they have two cute kids, ages 4 and 8. We stayed inside the house. Our room (front facing windows and a huge shower) was clean, large and attractive. They have some cabins but our room in the house was much more attractive.

It is located on the same road as Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin but not as close to the volcano. Its about 25 minutes from the airport and 25 minutes from the Rincon De La Vieja National Park.

I'd recommend staying at Posada El Encuentro and just going to the Guachipelin for activites like horse back riding or canopy tours. We stopped at the Guachipelin for a beer and it was $4! Luis will sell you a beer for $2 and discuss business, economics, and politics with you!

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank LargartoDreamer
Chicago
Reviewed January 1, 2007

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. While we enjoyed the entire trip, the 3 days we stayed at la Posada el Encuentro were the most memorable. We flew to Liberia on Christmas day. Since we did not rent a car, Luis, the owner, picked us up from the airport. When we arrived at the house, we relaxed on the patio by the pool while enjoying the breathtaking view and the delicious lunch prepared by Sharon, Luis’s wife.

Each day during our stay, Javier, Sharon’s brother-in-law provided transportation to and from the Rincon de la Vieja National Park conveniently located down the street. We enjoyed hiking in the area – the hike to the waterfall was a bit strenuous, but well worth swimming in the waterfall! The hike to the hot springs was a bit easier, but also scenic. The volcanic mud spa was a bit odd – I really wouldn’t recommend it.

The house is charming and the rooms are clean, comfortable, and spacious. The pool is also nice – a great place to relax and enjoy the sunset before dinner.

I cannot say enough about Sharon’s phenomenal cooking. It was truly the best food we had in Costa Rica!!! She prepared breakfast and dinner… and even sandwiches to take on our hikes. Our favorite was the traditional beans, rice, and plantains… we loved it so much we requested it two of three nights! The beef was the best I’ve ever had…very tender and flavorful! I normally don’t even like beef. We also enjoyed the chips and spicy salsa.

The most memorable part of our stay was the evenings we spent outside on the patio with Luis and his family. Although I am not accustomed to small children, Luis and Sharon’s children, Daniel and Luciana were adorable, well-behaved, and very entertaining. I’m also not normally comfortable around dogs, but I had fun playing with their two German Shepherds (which stay outside) – especially the two puppies, which were only a week old at the time.

You will feel like a family member at this place… I am so glad I found it!!!

• Liked — The food and the family atmosphere
  • Disliked — No air conditioning, but it was cool at night an not really necessary
  • Tips/Secrets — Great place - I highly recommend it!!!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amherst MA
Reviewed December 22, 2006

What a wonderful starting spot if you fly into Liberia. Luis picked us up at the Liberia airport and Sharon (his wife) provided a lovely dinner upon our arrival. When you are tired from traveling this is a real treat. I had emailed Luis about our plans and he arranged for our car rental (Solid Car Rental). The next morning, the renral car was brought to the hotel at breakfast time - to not have to deal with renting upon arrival was such a pleasure. The price for the rental was also as good as any I had found.

The rooms are pleasant and comfortable - not fancy but very nice. Breakfast is delicious (have the traditional breakfast).
The pool area is the real gem - fabulous view and a delight to sit by.

We came back later in our trip and enjoyed one of our most romantic evenings. We sat by the pool with a bottle of wine and enjoyed the sunset. Sharon made us a wonderful dinner of salad, seabass, rice and yucca followed by a nice slice of cake. We returned to the patio for our after dinner tea.

This is a good spot freom which to explore Rincon - a great park.

---

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
ontario
Reviewed August 14, 2006

Staying at Posada El Encuetro is a combination of being treated like honored guests and much loved family. Luis, Sharon and the rest of the team were our hosts for five nights in late July. We were concerned about not having a car, but were pleasantly surprised to find that either Luis or Sharon were available each day to take us to see local sights. There are lots of interesting places in the area. Sharon and her daughter Louisiana hosted us on a day trip to the
hot springs near Volcan Miralles. Louisiana is around three years old and told her Mother that it was time to get some lunch because she had sensed that I was hungry. Perhaps she was hungry too but I feel this indicates the kind of care and attention you receive. Luis was born in Costa Rica, educated in the US, and is a gracious and sensitive host. Sharon is Costa Rican and her humor and culinary skills are wonderful. I casually mentioned a Central/South American dish that is a favorite of mine and it appeared on my plate for dinner that night. I know that Sharon made a special trip to the market to buy the ingredients.
We were with them during the Guanacaste Day celebrations and were welcomed as their guests to the festivities in Liberia. Daniel, their son, was in the parade and we walked the route with them and then arrived at the fiesta. Again we were treated like family when Luis bought us cold beer, Costa Rican food and chatted with us as Sharon and the children enjoyed the midway rides. He would not accept payment and considered it his pleasure to treat us. When our final bill arrived I wanted to pay for that meal but Luis would not hear of it.

The location is very beautiful, overlooking the canyon. There are lots of birds to see and owls fly in each night and sit at the edge of the pool. Within just a couple miles are facilities for whitewater rafting, horseback riding and other adventure-based activities. Luis drove us to the nearby ranger station at Rincon de le Vieja National Park where we saw fumaroles and boiling mud pots. There is a hike that also takes you to a waterfall or the top of the volcano.
We stayed in a casita that was clean, had a good bed, lots of hot water and was very pleasant. Meals are served in lovely a glass solarium near the pool. Javier, Sharon’s brother was an attentive and gracious waiter.
These people are putting body and soul into their business. The old website from the previous owner does not begin to describe the excellent location and level of service here. You hear the phase “Con mucho Gusto” meaning it is my pleasure to serve you, all over Costa Rica, but at Posada El Encuetro they really mean it. I wish this family all the best as they continue to build their business. It was my great pleasure to stay with them.

1 Thank margsip