Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure
$104
$98
$95
  • Breakfast included
Hacienda Guachipelin(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
$73
$69
  • Breakfast included
Canon de la Vieja Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)
$94
$91
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Paraiso Tropical(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
$30
  • Bar/Lounge
$60
$75
$32
Travelocity
  • Free Internet
All reviewshanging bridgessunset bartractor ridezip linehot springshorseback ridingcanopy walkjaguar restaurantcanopy tourcosta ricawatch the sunsetcoffee tourmud bathday triptwo nightssteam roomtour group
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is my second trip to the Buena Vista Lodge. First trip was May, 2011 with OAT. This trip I was traveling by myself through Costa Rica and spent 5 nights/6 days at Buena Vista. I love the property and had a wonderful vacation.
I went horseback riding, zip lining and hiking and all of the experiences were great. I had a medical emergency before my vacation that came back at BVL and the management and their paramedics did all that was possible to help me. I was driven to the clinic in Liberia and their staff stayed with me while I was there. All of the staff were very friendly during my stay.
I would be happy to return there in the future.

Room Tip: I'd choose a cabin near the lake. From there you can see the beautiful sunset from your cabin's porch.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We booked this hotel thinking it was close to the volcano, but it still took us over an hour the next morning. It is a hotel property that caters to tour buses and has adventures like water slides, horseback riding, etc. However, the tour business must have been down as all but one of the restaurants was closed along with the souvenir shop and internet cafe. All meals were buffet style and our dinner was good. The wind nearly blew us off the mountain and the room was spare at best. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MOvagabond
aocampo, Manager at Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Our property has been categorized as a mountain lodge and per our location it is a 19miles from Liberia. BuenaVista lodge provides many adventure activities like Canopy, Horseback Riding, hot springs. Those come to be very attractive, not only for hotel guests but for the ones staying at beach hotels located even 2 hours away from here.

The property has different restaurants and according to hotel occupancy, we determined if it is necessary to open one or more of them. At check-in we inform to our guess the open restaurant.

When you visited us, it was very windy (totally unusual). It is out of our control.

Kind Regards,

Esmeralda Espinoza
Sales Manager

Reviewed February 7, 2012

The resort sits halfway up the side of the 6000 foot Rincon de la Vieja (The Old Woman's Corner) volcano. To the west are miles of pasture and a great view of the Pacific. In the other directions are forests and hot springs. The resort offers horseback riding, mud baths and hot springs pools, several zip lines in the forest, a long water slide, swinging bridges in the forest canopy, and other activities (for a fee). Rooms are comfortable, with a porch to enjoy the view and great sunsets. Wildlife, particularly monkeys and birds are prevalent nearby. Food was good. The place is remote and works hard to maintain a top eco rating. Don't expect nightlife and lavish rooms. The objective here is to enjoy nature.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank fosoll
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The site is beautiful but beyond that it isn't really worth the trip because there isn't that much to do and the fact that one must pay for each activity is a downer. Here is what there is to do...

horseback or tractor to hot springs
walk to hot springs (mostly along an unpleasant dirt road)
walk to waterfalls (3.5 hours mostly along an unpleasant dirt road)
canopy walk (fun because of the monkees)
zip line (a ride which has nothing to do with nature itself)
water slide (again a ride which has nothing to do with nature itself)

there is a national park neaby but there is no way to get there other than sending for a taxi which has to drive an hour just to get to you. the hotel staff isn't helpful in getting you anywhere.

overall, I find the concept of "eco-tourism" a bit silly (considering that the tourists travel from all over the world on jet planes to do it). Then once there, only a few animals can be seen.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wtraveller2
Reviewed December 24, 2011

I have been visiting Costa Rica every year for the past 7 years and this was most cold, indifferent and unfriendly group of people I have ever met here. We were treated like cattle, rushed through every activity, without regard for our safety, experience or adequate time for a few snap shots. The canopy tour was genuinely terrible with rude guides that seemed to be mocking us in Spanish. The lunch was good, except they charged us $30 for two beers and 3 soft drinks. Overall, I would say that this place is an embarrassment to the good reputation, culture and people of Costa Rica. I have the feeling it is run by a penny pinching, money grubbing banker...

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family