“Wow!”

Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
New York City, New York
“Wow!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed for one night in mid-December. The property itself is beautifully maintained, and our bungalow was immaculate and spotless. We were welcomed with a glass of fresh juice which was nice after a long drive. The food at the restaurant was unexpectedly excellent, and good value for money - dinner was very good, and we wanted to stay and eat breakfast long after we were full. Everything was very fresh. The hotel is well-staffed and everyone had the time to be ultra-attentive, in particular the man who checked us in and helped us with our bags to the bungalow (sorry, no name) and Andrea, who checked us out and helped with boarding passes etc. Everyone has a smile and wants to help without being overbearing. The hotel is very isolated, but we counted that as a good thing for a short stay. We might have wanted more close dining options if we had stayed for longer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davidfinch86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Combermere, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed Nov18 to the 23 and it was one of the most relaxing resorts we have stayed at. The cottage we stayed in was awesome! (503) ~ very clean and well maintained. The food was great! The staff were more than helpful and it made for a very enjoyable vacation. The sunsets were breathtaking and the facilities were 5 star. The road was a bit of a challenge! We did blow a tire, but luckily it was right when we entered the resort, so it added a little excitment to our adventure !

1 Thank Brian20146
Playa Potrero, Costa Rica
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My husband and I are staying in Costa Rica for a couple months and we booked 3 nights with friends who were visiting with us from the States for a luxury getaway in the mountains. I was really looking forward to luxury and Borinquen has it, but it wasn't always in working order.

We booked a bungalow deluxe and it was very moldy/musty- these units have AC, but no fans for air circulation (esp when unoccupied). We were there at the end of green season, so the rooms were probably as bad as they can get in the year, but the leather furniture had mold on it. We upgraded to a Junior Suite and it was much better (these units have fans), but the leather still had mold on it. We only used the AC once when a maintenance man was power washing the drive outside the unit and I closed the windows and used the AC for noise cancellation. Leaving the windows open and using the fans was a great help on the mold and the temp was perfect-chilly enough at night to sleep under the massive amount of luxurious sheets and blankets provided. Our room was really beautiful and comfortable, I didn't want to leave it. The rainfall shower was difficult for me-they have such gentle pressure that I couldn't wash my hair (thick). The hot water was in and out in the shower, though constant in the tub and the faucets. Maintenance came twice and the second time said it was fine. The bathrooms have one hook and it needs more for a spa resort as there are bathrobes, wet swimsuits and wet towels to hang. The bungalows have a clothes line in the shower, but the suite did not.
The day we did the mud treatment was disappointing. We steamed and then headed to the mud and smeared from face to feet. The showers were cold and there were no scrubs to help get the dried mud off, so it was a long cold shower. We headed to the thermal pools for the next step and the resort had been running only hot spring water into them and they were far too warm to use. We told this to the person working at the snack bar (only person around) and he and others (even the chef I think) started to fix the issue. They turned off hot inputs, turned on cold and added a hose I to the pools for cold water. They were really on it, but it ruined our "treatment" as it's all these steps in sequence bc you want your pores open (though the cold showers prob ruined the treatment and that was probably bc all the hot was going into the spring fed thermal pools).
We decided to go to pool and get warm in the sun and have a drink. Sat at the swim up bar for 30 minutes (at least) and no one was working there. I know, I could have walked back to the snack bar and asked for service, but I was tired of asking for things that I felt were core services to be fixed. The evening we arrived, we had the same experience at the pools-the little shop was closed, the snack bar was closed and the pool bar was closed/unmanned.

We enjoyed the restaurant and the room service. The food is priced as you would expect at any resort. It was expensive compared to a Costa Rica Restaurant that is not part of an upscale hotel. I really think the issue that many reviewers have is that they seriously have an $18 casada on their menu. That is laughable as it is the $4 to $8 meal of Costa Rica (and often much cheaper outside of the Guanacaste region). I had the mahi mahi 2 nights in a row and it was very good, though they did not have all the listed sides available on the first evening. Night 3, we had room service and it was very fast. I had the fish fingers and they were amazing- these were strips of fish hand battered and fried...so fresh and good.
All in all, I give Borinquen a 3 bc I really wanted luxury, and while I got it, I had to constantly ask for it to be fixed so that I could enjoy it (except the hot water in the shower). The staff is very accommodating, but it is more important to me on vacation that things work as expected.

Note:On the shower issue, they did offer that I could shower in a different room bc of the water pressure.

Room Tip: Recommend a room with fans.
1 Thank AlexisUnchained
Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Borinquen Resort for a weekend and enjoyed every second of it. The road to access the hotel has ~11 km of unpaved road (to be prepared) but in good condition. we arrived around 10:30 am and the staff told us that the room will be ready in a moment and we were pointed to start using their natural spa treatments. The rate includes natural steam bath, real volcano hot springs and mud baths. After we relaxed we headed to the room (Junior Suite) which was simply spectacular. Huge room, king size bed, full bath with Jacuzzi and huge shower (rain like) to continue our relaxing retreat.
The food was very good and the service excellent.
The only set-back for us was the maintenance of the hot springs/mud baths/pool area. Its a bit run down and I believe the rest of the resort is so well maintain that they must put a little extra attention to this area (which is the most promoted of the place).
We used the spa for massages and the service again very nice.
I would definitely recommend this resort for a nice and pampered couple's retreat.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We were the only people at the resort the night we stayed. Talk abut personalized attention! Beautiful grounds, mud bath, nice pool and springs, great nature walks and horse back riding. The rooms and restaurant are very nice. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kristikls
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in late Novemeber. The road to there is quite bumpy, but so are most of roads we used in Costa Rica. The rooms are huge and beds were comfy. The blackout curtains made it possible for the whole family to sleep in:) The views are just amazing! If you ride the horses you can see all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Our family signed up for zip lining, but 3 of us chickened out when we got to the top. They were very nice about giving us a lift down the mountain and not charging us for that part of the tour. My husband LOVED the ziplining. The pool area was nice and our kids really enjoyed the mud bath and hot springs pools. We all enjoyed the swim up bar as they do made some neat non-alcoholic drinks for kids. The included breakfast was VERY good and filling. Two nights were perfect for us to get our volcano fix then head to the beach.

CONS: The dinners were quite expensive and not exceptional. I would have liked another more casual option for dinner since their restaurant is it unless you want to venture out. The waiters were very nice and accomodating to our picky and sometimes tired kids.
Walking up and down the hill to our room got a little old, especially when you forget something in the room. This is not the place for anyone with mobility issues. They do have golf carts to get you and your luggage up and down and we were offered a ride one other time during our stay.

Stayed November 2013
Dallas
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here one night last week on a quick first trip to Costa Rica. We totally enjoyed our visit and I consider this a top CA resort. We had a junior suite which was spacious, quiet, and comfortable. Large Jacuzzi was a little too much to get very hot water. Living area and deck provided a great view of the valley and the Pacific. The grounds are well maintained.
We took advantage of the horseback riding/zip line and ATV/water falls tours. Highly recommend both - we had a blast. The staff was excellent and flexible in scheduling with just us on the tours. We enjoyed using the volcanic sauna/mud/hot springs. This is a great activity to do on your own and without having to schedule with a spa.
We ate at the restaurant for all meals although there is room service. Our meals were great although speed of service varied from very fast to more laid back.
The trip from Liberia airport is about 45 min to hour ($80) and as others have noted the road is not that great.
This is a very good value considering the free use of the sauna/mud/hot springs and the room amenities. We plan to visit again when we have longer to stay.

Room Tip: Our junior suite was at the top of the hill. This could be strenuous walk for some although staff is...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon de La Vieja
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
#1 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!