“My Fantastic Time at Blue River”

Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
Reviewed May 5, 2014

When my husband and I decided to take a vacation, we wanted a location that was off the beaten path, out in the middle of nowhere, and surrounded by nature. Our destination of choice was the Blue River Resort and Hot Springs in Costa Rica. One word I used to describe the pictures of the resort before the trip, “paradise”. My husband and I stayed there for a week from April 27 – May 4. I would describe the resort and surrounding area as “better than paradise.” We had a few issues not related to the resort; however both of us had a great time. The staff, as well as the town’s residents, are genuinely nice and accommodating. We loved walking around the grounds of the resort and taking in the beauty of the resort, butterfly garden, botanical garden, and hummingbird observatory. We took advantage of using all of the pools, and enjoyed every one of them.
All of the meals we ate were delicious, we enjoyed the buffet breakfast every day we were there, and the restaurant staff was friendly and worked hard to ensure good service. The portions served were adequate enough to leave my husband and I full, and it was nice that we could take our dessert back to our room for later. Our favorite dessert was the three milk cake.
The activities we took part in were the horseback riding and zip line. I would like to personally thank our horseback riding guide, Giovanni, for being so friendly, patient, and accommodating to my husband and me. The zip line guides made sure that my husband and I enjoyed our experience, taught us how to safely zip line, and was very courteous and supportive.
Several days we were there we walked into town for supplies, and we had a special guide each time. Our guide was a very friendly, playful, dog named Echo, and he walked with us each day to town and back. When we would stop off at the office for one reason or another, Echo would greet us with a wagging tail and lots of love.
Our room was the cabana with king-size bed, and we were impressed by the size of the room. We were also impressed that our laptop and cameras were left alone, and any clothes we left lying around were folded and neatly placed on the bed or chair in our room.
Our experience at Blue River was fantastic. I would like to personally thank the owner, manager, and the rest of the staff for making our time at the resort so great and so memorable. If you are the type of person that needs perks such as a phone in the room or wifi, Blue River is not for you. If you are the type of person that wants the rustic charm of nature and do not need those types of perks, Blue River is the place to be. My husband and I personally loved being surrounded by nature and away from commercialized surroundings.

1  Thank wigirlbk07

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Everyone was very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. We would recommend spending no more than two nights, though. It is in the middle of nowhere and the resort does not have many tours. When you're not doing your tours, there is little to do at the resort itself. The food is very good, but, again, the options are limited, because there is only one restaurant with the same menu. It is an hour on VERY bumpy roads just to get to the resort from the nearest paved road. Do not expect many amenities in the room. The workers will do what they can to make your feel welcome and happy...with their limited resources.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Valerie K
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I had a friend recommend this hotel to me and decided to give it a shot. Not expecting much, I just really needed a a nice rest. However, I was pleasantly surprised! The place had great service, beautiful nature and exciting zip lines. I definitely plan on going back on my next vacation.

Room Tip: Go for room 112 with double beds big bathroom. It has the best wifi and is close by the restaurant.
Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Aileen B
Reviewed May 4, 2014

my visit was one of the most enjoyable trips ever, just the views and the beautiful gardens i really enjoyed myself, the volcano was the most interesting, the hot springs were very relieving after a day of horseback and i plan on going back to visit again soon.

Room Tip: if your going for quiet choose the south side
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I don't usually write many comments because the majority of the places the service is good but nothing spectacular. This was my second time that I went to this paradise and this time accompanied with my future wife last time was a sports tour and this time a romantic tour. The service was incredible comfort and the staff is amazing. Any person who does not know this place does not imagine what he is missing; although I was already 2 times here I will keep coming back because I think it is worth it.

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We traveled to Costa Rica for a week and spent the first 2 days at the Blue River Resort. Let me say the reviews saying this is in the middle of nowhere are absolutely right. Most all the secondary roads in the country are dirt and the road to the property is no exception. It is well marked but very bumpy.

If your expectation is to stay at a 5 star resort, you will be disappointed. If you're goal is to experience the true Costa Rica, then you'll enjoy Blue River. The staff is very friendly and the grounds are pretty. The bungalows are adequate and clean. One pillow per person is tough, but the beds and linens are clean.

The restaurant is your only option, so it is pricey. The food isn't bad and the wait staff did a great job.

Overall, this is a good value for the money. Just manage your expectations on the front.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Emily F
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Being from Northern Alberta I thought that the descriptions of the road accessing the resort may be a little exaggerated, but I was wrong! The road is very rough in places, large rocks poke through and there are a few steep climbs and ascents, but that being said, it is certainly doable if you take your time. Drive in the day and watch the scenery as you ascend from the brown landscape and into the rain forest. There is a bridge over the river just before you get into the resort, we stopped and had a look around. There is also a little town with a grocery type / convenience store.
I would not recommend staying here for more than three or maybe four days. The resort is pretty much the only thing up here so your entertainment choices are to sit in one of the many hot spring pools, lounge in the sun, or eat. The resort offers basically three excursions. We did the zipline which was pretty fun and ended with me doing the Tarzan swing. When you are done you hike back to the vehicle along the river. Be warned though! We did the horseback ride the next day and it is basically hiking through the same area you ziplined through. I said we could have probably just driven to the trailhead and skipped the "guided" tour to the waterfall but I guess the property is privately owned so may not be an otion. The zipline guys were great!
There is only the resort restaurant to eat at, breakfast is included and was usually a buffett though one morning it was served, there were not a lot of people staying there.
Generally when you go the restaurant for lunch and supper, the food is charged to your room and added to your credit card, same as the excursions so when you check out you get a bill for everything at once. Prices are reasonable I thought considering they could really gouge you if they wanted to being the only place to go.
One odd thing was my daughter cut her finger so I asked for a band aid. This seemed to throw everyone into a tizzy as at first they said there was no first aid kit anywhere. Suddenly someone appeared with one. Not sure what that was all about but given the remoteness I would hope the staff would be well versed in the location of first aid supplies.
Butterfly garden was really good and the trail they had going through forest was nice to walk around. I think this resort is still in a development mode, however if the road is eventually paved I can see it becoming a popular destination.
The rooms are cabins and massive! Lots of room, in fact maybe a bit too much. I would recommend they put some couches or chairs in the rooms as you are kind of forced to just sit on the bed.
Would I go again? I think we exhausted all options there. Maybe if they get their hike up to the volcano going again I would.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
#4 of 5 in Bijagua de Upala
Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
#2 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs? Share your experiences!