Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
$115
$104
  • Breakfast included
Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
$68
$48
  • Breakfast included
Hacienda Guachipelin(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
$73
$69
  • Breakfast included
Canon de la Vieja Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)
$94
$91
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Paraiso Tropical(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
$30
  • Bar/Lounge
$60
$75
$32
Orbitz.com
  • Free Internet
1,076 results
All reviewsbotanical gardensdino parkmud bathhummingbird areazip lininghot springscosta ricahumming birdsfront officehorseback ridinghot poolsbutterfly enclosuredos riostarzan swing at the endfresh water poolfront porchnatural sauna
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We visited Blue River in January 2012 and now in February still cannot forget our short stay. Starting from our ride from Playa Tamarindo through Liberia and then small villages near the resort, everything was magical. You'd see beautiful green country, ranches, cowboys, mountains on your way as you approach the place.

The resort itself is a labour of love. As staff told us, the owners are from US and Canada and they put all the money back into the development. I believe this is true. They have a dream. Immaculate territory, amazing flower garden, spa, hot springs, sauna, butterfly and hummingbird gardens. There is lots to do and see.

We loved our room, it was spacious, with walk in closet, the biggest shower I've ever seen, very comfortable. Wi-fi worked in the rooms.

Tour guides had university degrees, knew their stuff, loved their work, respected the owners. (Hoakin, hola!) We went horseback riding to visit the waterfall and spent 3 hours with the guy. We had great time. Two of us never had any experience with horses and Hoakin made us feel relaxed, proved us tons of information about natural history, animals, Dos RIos etc.

Things to improve. Don't say you use Egyptian cotton linen when you don't. We felt we might be late for the flight back home, cause there was not a single sign on our way back. Only when we got back on the main road we knew we were going to be OK. Please put Liberia signs for visitors leaving the place! Some locals we stopped didn't know!

Also, if you're planning to go to the volcano like we planned. Sometimes, even in dry season it is not possible due to rain. We only had one day and we couldn't go. It's totally unpredictable.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same - brand new, very clean, with great outdoor patio and hammock.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank vitussia
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We were disappointed in another close-by 'resort', that turned out to be a sort of camp for masochistic adults. But that's another review! Blue River was the exact opposite of the first place we stayed at, as it turned out to have a beautiful room with an updated bathroom and dressing area, comfy queen beds, and a hammock in your small outside deck. There are amazing birds, flora and fauna within this little out-of-the-way resort, and a host of pools to wade and sit in, from ice cold to very warm.
Blue River also has a gorgeous butterfly preserve, where you will see all of the mystifying butterflies you may have noticed in other areas of Costa Rica. Flowers that you've only seen in movies that you were convinced were fantasies of someone's imagination leap out at you throughout your walk of the resort grounds.
There is a small massage / facial spa in one of the buildings. I had a relaxing massage there one afternoon. Food in the restaurant is adequate, sometimes very good, but not particularly inspired. There is a full bar with a decent array of choices. Staff mostly bends over backwards to accommodate, but we did have an odd waiter who seemed to have more personal problems than we really want to hear about during our stay.
On the less-than-positive side, it rains there rather often, but thankfully in small doses. It can become crowded with families and other groups in the pools, making them less attractive to frequent. We stayed away from the colder pools because they were stuffed with kids and moms. The warmer the pool the less crowded, as a rule.
Overall Blue River was a fun stop to end our Costa Rica trip!

Room Tip: They all seem exactly the same really. Nice little cabins.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2012

After what felt like a marathon drive up in to the mountains on a dirt track we arrived at this resort. I was apprehensive given the remoteness but my worries were dispelled as soon as I saw our room. It was clean, spacious and luxurious. We explored the gardens which were beautiful and tired the mud baths and natural sauna. I really did think I had found paradise and that was before we tried the hot pools.

We did a couple of the tours - hike to Rincon de la Veija volcano and the waterfall walk - and in both cases the actual tour didn't quite match up to the description however in the case of the volcano walk I think this was because we were lucky enough to be able to climb to the crater and so didn't have time to visit the waterfalls. The tours were quite expensive and I think that if the trails were marked better some of them could be done independently. After a long day of hiking slipping in to the hot pools was simply glorious.

The on-site restaurant was very good. The food was delicious and there was a good choice on the menu. The waiters did seem to struggle to keep up at times so the service wasn't as good as it could have been.

This place is so relaxing and there are plenty of things to do. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz B
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Last 20 km into the hotel were horrible. And bring a raincoat, this is cloud tropical forest. Hotel is luxurious. Food & service good. Rooms spacious. Their photos on Internet are accurate. How they manage this in such an isolated spot is amazing. Birding was great. 7 species of hummingbirds at their feeders. Several hot spring pools, 1 cold. Only 10 villas, so place always seems half-deserted. Heavy rainstorm bangs on the roof at night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lorgor
Blue_River_Video, Owner at Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

We read each and every review, look into each of your comments and make adjustments to improve ourselves everyday. Thank you. We appreciate this review and the feedback within each of the reviews. A couple things to address:

The Last 20km to the Resort. The final 20km to the resort is along on a public gravel road that is maintained regularly. When driving here in the rain and in the dark you will have to go slower. A 4X4 is not a must, but it means you may need to be more careful. Also, some reviews are from travelers who came in the wet season (before Dec 15), so experiences vary. Hopefully the 30-45 minutes is nothing more a fun adventure, and when you arrive it will all be worth it.

The Weather: This time of year the daytime temperature is around 28 Celsius and at night, 24 Celsius. It typically rains 15 minutes to 2 hours in mid afternoon and during the night it varies. The humidity is around 70%. We think it is one of the reason you are here. You may experience more sun or more rain than this; but keep in mind that this can happen anywhere.

Again, thank you to this reviewer and each of you.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

I cannot begin to tell you the surpise I had of what a wonderful place Blue River Resort is! Absolutely blew away my expectations. The setting is wonderful. The room product is new and very nice and spacious. For the price, I certainly thought the rooms would be lackluster. The staff was nothing but professional and engaging. Victor especially in the restaurant was wonderful (along with the rest of the restaurant staff). I was very surprised the food was as good as it was due to it being the only outlet in a 20 mile radius. I did not have a bad meal there and I ate there for 2 straight days. The 2 gents that took me zip-lining were also very professional and wonderful. I would highly recommend the zip-lining trip. Nice lines and the setting was simply amazing. My only regret was only staying 2 nights and not being able to do more activities up near the volcano. My next trip will be at least 3 days. Mud bath, warm springs, and the forest with butterflies and humming birds was great as well. I would recommend the resort add another mud bath or two since they were always full of guests. Also, make sure that you do not come with a sun burn or else you will not be able to enjoy the warm baths.....I only was able to get into some of the lukewarm baths my 2nd day due to my beach time earlier in the trip.

The road to the resort is a little bit of a challenge but I have been on FAR worse in Caribbean islands and it should not make anyone balk at this gem. I highly recommend a few days off the beach in CR for this place....

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple