We left Manuel Antonio and after 5 hours on the road hit the gravel track that takes you to Blue River. It was another hour, at least, before our driver finally made it to the resort. Not for the faint-hearted and, if you're self-driving, make sure you have a 4x4.
Reading an earlier review, 1st impressions do not count here. Seeing the Reception, my wife nearly made us turn around and head back. But, once you get inside the resort it changes. It's the perfect hideaway from the hustle & bustle, in the middle of nowhere with some of the most friendly staff you could ever wish to meet.
We fell in love with the toucans, watched butterflies hatching and sat covered in the hot volcanic mud for as long as we wanted. One word of warning, the water running under the mud bath is VERY HOT, don't let you or your children step in it as I did and nearly burned my foot badly. Blue River - PLEASE put a WARNING SIGN here!
Our two young children (10 & 6) loved the pools and the water slide.
If you've not got your own car, be careful as there is nowhere to go outside of the resort to eat. Make the most of breakfast and dinner would be my recommendation.
Go on the horseride to the waterfalls, it is great. The Blue river itself is beautiful. It poured with rain during our 3-hour ride, we got soaked, but that just made it more unique. We were 4 plus 3 guides, what more could you ask for and they got as wet as we did!
I must mention Jimmy at the restaurant who catered for our every need in terms of food & drinks.
This is a jewel of a hotel and is well worth the detour to see something typical of this lovely country and its people. The rooms are large, clean, modern and comfortable and the staff are very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue River Resort and Hot Springs is an authentic Costa Rica experience in the rainforests of Rincon de la Vieja. Our jewel is the spectacular natural mineral "green" hot spring pools – but that’s just the beginning. There is a large fresh water pool & bullet slide, the spa, botanical gardens, butterfly farm, iguana and frog pond and much more. Set out on several authentic eco Costa Rica adventure tours, all nearby. Eco-tours include visits to gorgeous blue volcanic rivers and waterfalls by horseback, nature walks, volcano hike, zip-lining across waterfalls and much more. The breadth of eco-nature tours will amaze you. Blue River Resort & Hot Springs offers luxury accommodation in new, spacious 720 square foot cabanas. Book your dream Costa Rica vacation! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Blue River Resort & Hot Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue River Resort And Hot Springs
- Blue River Resort & Hot Springs Hotel Rincon De La Vieja
- Blue River Resort & Hot Springs Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja