“Beautiful, lovely resort!”

Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had a great stay at Blue River. The hot springs were fantastic, the food was good (and Jimmy the waiter/bartender made us custom drinks and kept us entertained), and we loved our room. We also did a hike with Walter, who was an excellent guide.

One word of caution: we were reluctant to spend the money to get picked up at Liberia airport, and weren't renting a car, so we attempted to get to the resort by public bus. We ended up getting dropped off 5km from the hotel with all our luggage, and after hiking about a third of the way, gratefully accepted a ride in a passing jeep. Not anxious to repeat that experience, we shelled out $180 for a ride to our next destination, Arenal. Blue River might be a better choice for people with a rental car or a higher travel budget than we had!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jessie_510

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Upon arriving at the resort after a bumpy last 20km on a very difficult road (use 4x4 when possible) one is a little surprised to see the reception area. One guest commented that his wie was going to kill him, but after she saw the resort he was off the hook. The resort which is about 300m from the gate boasts unbelievably beautiful gardens, spacious cabana style accomodations, a spa and a restaurant.
The cabanas are beautiful. Made mostly of wwod thy combine old with new including a large flat screen TV. The bathroom area is spacious and there is a walk in closet. The beds are very comfortable and the room includes a fridge, which is very handy as only breakfast is included.
This is not an all inclusive resort so you have to be a little creative with the meals to save a buck. We averaged around $35 per dinner for two adults and two children. We brought food along and ate sandwiches for lunch. The food is good and there is a wide selection.
The RESORT - first of all you will need to leave your stress and worries of your busy hectic life at the front gate and RELAX. The thermal pools are great. The offer 6-7 different temperatures and they have a cool slide for kids as well. The gardens are awesome...ask for a guided tour of the garden, butterfly farm and to see the rescued Toucans if they are still there. The gardens are diverse with many different plant species and hundreds of birds flying overhead and all around. The gardens also sport other cool attractions like a natural sauna and mud bath. Sit in the sauna for 10 minutes, apply mud, wait and then sit in a delicious hot water spring to clean off. Other attractions include a fish pond and several little areas to just hang out and read in the gardens so bugs are no worries.
So there are few days activites right there. Other options are a horseback ride to waterfalls - totally worth it to see the blue river! There is a long hike to the volcano and of course the spa.
If you are a person who likes to relax in natural beauty and who is not in a hurry.. this place is for you!!!

2  Thank Grossen76
Reviewed July 11, 2011

During my stay in Costa Rica my family and I stayed at two resorts; the Hilton Papagayo and the Blue River Resort. The Hilton Papagayo was very touristy and did not give me the real feel and effect of authentic Costa Rica. The Blue River Resort was breathtaking and all together an amazing place. As you drive up to the resort you get to drive through one of their local towns. The land of the resort is on a natural reserve and they rescue animals. They had some baby toucans, iguanas, tiny fruit bats, a butterfly pavilion, and very large hummingbirds. All these animals were on the nature trail that was beautiful and lovely to walk through. I know my family and I walked through it a couple times a day. The trail was also filled with exotic plants, and there is also a mud bathing area which made my skin feel like velvet. The Blue River Resort had many tours to do. The zip lining was not open yet, but will be soon. My family and I did the horseback riding tour. We rode horses up to the blue river, walked around and even got to swim in the river. It was scenic and our tour guide Walter was very informative and knew everything about the rain forest. The staff and owner of the resort were very friendly and the food was fantastic!! My mom has been a message therapist for 25 years, and got a message that blew her away. The three heated mineral pools and the cold pool with the water slide was where we all resided most of the time. It was pure relaxation and bliss. My family and I loved this resort and definitely plan to go back soon.

Highly Recommended!!

2  Thank meow_mix_30157
Reviewed July 9, 2011

From the moment that Rolando picked us up from Hilton Papagayo, to take us to The Blue River Resort, we knew we were in for an adventure! He was so kind on our journey, he even pulled over on the side of the road as he spotted a family of Congo monkeys for us to view, and again as my daughter saw a snake on the road by the river! Every one at the Blue River Resort was friendly and very helpful as we arrived and settled into our beautiful cabinas. Shanneth gave us a fantastic tour of the resort and was very helpful every day during our stay.
One of the highlights we experienced was the horseback tour that Walter led to the rivers and waterfalls in the rainforest. He is extremely knowledgeable of the surroundings and it was a privilege to have him give us a tour of his native homeland. We will be back soon to take his hike to the Volcano!
My husband and I were looking forward to some relaxation and reviving during our stay at The Blue River Resort. We were unsure if our 4 teenage children would be as intrigued as we were with all that Blue River had to offer, but we all enjoyed our stay at The Blue River Resort far more than the touristy Hotel that we stayed at in Guanacaste. They all loved the hot pools and soaked in them many times per day, going from one to another then enjoying the waterslide at the cold pool as well. We all enjoyed strolling through the beautiful gardens and butterfly house everyday, as well as enjoying the volcanic mud bath and rinsing off in the river daily. I got a very relaxing massage by Rosie at the Spa. The windows in the massage room were open and it was so enjoyable listening to the birds and water and seeing the lush gardens. The grounds are breathtaking, and the climate is perfect. We all were content just being outside.The hammocks on our porches were constantly in use by
one of the kids, often for an afternoon nap. We clearly all were able to relax and we never
once heard "I'm bored", in fact we all were sad to leave this piece of paradise that we
found.
We were pleased to have met the owner of The Blue River Resort, Daniel. His search for the perfect environment to build a beautiful resort was certainly attained! He is a very kind and generous man with a passion for the culture and beauty of Costa Rica! Thank You Daniel for sharing your dream with us!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same size and style.
2  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My family stayed at this resort for 2 nights in June. Overall it was wonderful and a great value for the price. We also stayed at Hacienda Guachipelin and Blue River was much nicer and less expensive.

The grounds were absolutely beautiful. We enjoyed the botanic gardens, butterflies, and the mud bath. When we were there the pools were never crowded, even when a tour came in for the day, the pools were still quite empty. My son had lots of fun on the water slide. They usually had one pool closed for cleaning, but this seemed to rotate so we got to try every one.

The restaurant was good and very reasonably priced, especially for being the only place in the area that you could get food. We used the refrigerator in the room for leftovers.

The rooms were large and had a lovely feel, although they were a little dark. There was even a large walk in closet to keep suitcases out of the way as well as an in room safe.

The only negative thing I have to say was regarding my spa experience. My only "extra" that I did during our entire trip to Costa Rica was a massage at the spa. It was supposed to be a 50 minute massage. I was shocked when the I was told the massage was over after 40 minutes (42 max). I really enjoyed the massage, but was very disappointed that it was cut so short. I did give a smaller tip than I would have, but I probably shouldn't have given one at all.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank coloradofamily_11
Blue_River_Video, Owner at Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Thank you so much for this review. In response to your unfortunate experience with the massage, We are try to locate who you are. This is the first time, receiving this feedback and want you to know that another massage is awaiting you, on us.We sincerely hope you will return.
On another topic, please know that our location is on the south side of Rincon de la Vieja. We offer hikes to the top of the volcano and other tours based the natural environment.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed three nights with our 13 year old. This place is just gorgeous and worth the drive in. You will know you are in Costa Rica when you stay here. If you want the basic beach and buffet experience, stay in the beachy part of Guanacaste. If you want a pristine rainforest with a view of an active volcano and hummingbirds, parrots, and butterflies flying all over the place, and yes, I was told there are even jaguar lurking in the woods, this is your spot.

The cabin like rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable. Do be prepared-the establishment is green, and you need to get used to the fact that you can't flush the TP. There is a hint of odor from the (possibly composting?) commode, but I think this is the price you have to pay to protect this precious environment and the toilet itself was very clean and new looking. The bathroom and shower were spacious as was the closet. If you need conditioner for your hair, I recommend you bring it, as the supply is combined shampoo/conditioner.

The pools were the prettiest I have ever seen-surrounded by plants instead of pavement and chairs, though chairs were nearby if you wanted them. Another person noted slime and bugs. You are in a rainforest. There are supposed to be bugs. We enjoyed seeing the leaf cutter ants carrying their leaves around and the frogs croaking loudly at night. As for slime, the staff were constantly cleaning the pools, and as the establishment noted, this is a real hot spring here. Wear beach shoes in the pool if you are worried about the slippery tile. We did not find it a problem.

The grounds are lovely-we enjoyed the various gardens. I never thought about wandering around independently beyond the paths, as the other reader mentioned they wanted to do. I think it would be important to have a guide, as this is genuine nature here and I think a protected area.

The tour guide Walter was fabulous-he even took us to the Cano Negro, which was a long day for him. The driver (Ronaldo?) stopped to show us monkeys and other things on the drive in. I felt like I was leaving friends behind when they dropped us at our next destination.

Sure, you will be a captive audience, but I loved the restaurant-my whole family thought every meal was better than the last. Jimmy the waiter was extremely gracious-I have never had better service anywhere. It is not cheap, but it is fair for what you get. We thought the food was practically gourmet quality.

We intend to come back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ilvnazoo
Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and I wanted a 2 night getaway on our motorcycle to a unique and beautiful place. We have lived in Costa Rica for 8 years and have ventured to many parts of the country, and this is one that I will treasure and return to many times. The Hot Springs are an unbeleivable added bonus, but this is not the only reason to go there. The cabins are large and well equipped with everything you could possibly need. Im only calling them cabins because they are made of wood and have such a homey feel to them. The restaurant has great food, staff and service, fabulous spa with wonderful treatments, the grounds, gardens and wildlife are amazing. In 2 days we did not have time to take in all the other great tours they provide, but we will be back. The blue river is spectacular to see, I have never seen that in my life and it was very unique. I would like to thank Daniel, Elli, and Jeanette for making our stay so memorable. Your staff really does make the experience enjoyable. See you again soon.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Bijagua de Upala
Rio Perdido
Rio Perdido
#1 of 1 in Bagaces

Been to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs? Share your experiences!