“My favorite spot in CR - 5 star hospitality and authentic culture” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Anita Rainforest Ranch

La Anita Rainforest Ranch
Seattle
“My favorite spot in CR - 5 star hospitality and authentic culture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

Honestly, I selfishly wanted to keep this secret to myself, but Ana and Pablo - the hosts at La Anita, have done too good a job to keep quiet about this hidden jewel. The ride in, while rustic, is all part of the adventure - through the rainforest, over local bridges - most drivers can point out the rare birds, sloths, and other widlife along the way. Colonia Libertad, the local town, is welcoming to guests and gives visitors a chance to sample real Costa Rican life. Ana and Pablo personally welcome their guests to the ranch, which started as a Macadamia farm (free macadamia in the morning? yes, please!). While I highly recommend the one day tour (walk the rainforest - learning about the biodiversity of this special area - , learn to make ceviche from freshly harvested heart of palm, ride the tractor through 8 foot flowers - I've never seen anything like it!) - staying overnight is a must! The most delightful wake-up calls of your life: The cabins are BEAUTIFUL and secure, but built just so you can hear the tropical birds wake up while you take a warm shower in the morning. Ginger flowers surround the cabins. Great spot for honeymooners - beautiful scenery everywhere! The cabins are set in the middle of three volcanoes in the most diverse spot of the country - literally more species in those 25 or so square miles than in all of North America combined. Nearby activites would take months to explore - Ana and Pablo have all the information about local hikes, waterfalls, and horsebackriding. Stay a few days for the food (mostly family or local recipes taken to a gourmet level), the view, the authentic experience, and most of all - for the people. best of all - Ana and Pablo donate part of their proceeds to save parts of the nearby rainforest. Be a do-gooder in the jungle!

• Liked — The location, the activities, the food, the people.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
12 Thank LiveWithGanas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

I hesitate to tell anyone how wonderful La Anita is for fear it will be inundated with tourists but given the difficulty in getting there it may be safe (there are no public buses). Pablo and Ana have turned a working macadamia farm into a special place for overnight guests to learn about Costa Rica, the rainforest, the ecology of the area and how to coordinate those things responsibly in a business combining farming and tourism. The food is amazing, always fresh and delicious. For example: we had delicious hearts-of-palm ceviche for lunch one day after Jose showed us how to make it earlier in a garden tour. The cabins are very nice with beautifully tiled hot water showers and refrigerators even though it seems you are in the middle of nowhere. I was awakened by hummingbirds buzzing my first morning there. There are lots of birds on the farm with guidebooks in the office to identify them. Jose can direct you to adventures nearby (but make sure you have a 4 wheel drive and a very good driver).

• Liked — Pablo and Ana
  • Disliked — difficulty getting there
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank pbbrown
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2008

The recent trip I took to Costa Rica was my second time visiting the country and my stay at Finca La Anita stands out as one of the most special experiences I have had there. I had a wonderful time getting to know the hosts, Ana and Pablo, and seeing there lovely home. I arrived in the evening and had no idea what kind of secret the dark night was hiding from me. I had heard Finca La Anita was gorgeous . . . but I could have never imagined the beauty that greeted me when I woke up the next morning. I felt like I was in a fairy tale. . . and, I guess I actually was. My only regret is that I merely had time to spend one night at their ranch. Even though my stay was so short, the quality of my experience left such a remarkable impression. Everything -- from the comfort of the cabanas, to the delicious meals, to the educational tour -- was marked with a touch of care and class. They truly care about their guests! In addition to learning about their Costa Rican lifestyle and becoming more familiar with their culture, the ambiance is unmatchable. The scenery is full of energy from the bright plants and flowers. At the same time, the serenity sets a perfect mood for a tranquil and relaxing vacation. Whether I was watching the dainty little hummingbirds zip around or staring at the magnificent volcanoes in the distant horizon, the entire setting was inspirational and rejuvenating. Finca La Anita is definitely a place that I will recommend to any Costa Rica travelers. I have told many of my friends about it and I have already made the arrangements for my return trip this coming December ☺. Fortunately, I will be staying for more than one night this time!

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Stayed September 2008
3 Thank pumpkinpie08
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

We spent 2 nights here and wish we could have stayed longer!! I found out about Finca La Anita randomly while surfing the net for places to stay around Rincon de La Vieja. After reading the reviews here, I knew we had to stay there, even if we could manage only 2 days.
It is definitely off the beaten path and so if you don't have your own car, like us - then transportation to there will cost a bit, but it is SO worth it! Also I have to mention that the drive to the ranch is no picnic - though it is wonderfully picturesque, the last 13 km to the ranch are on a very bumpy, pebbly road. But as they say - no pain, no gain!
Once you get there - oh you will be so glad you made the effort, coz the place is just so beautiful. The cabins are rustic (intentionally so) but built in the most aesthetic manner and very comfortable. Our favorite part was getting to spend time with the hosts - Ana and Pablo and their family and oh the food - I still dream of it! It was never anything fancy, but everything was fresh from the garden and tasted so delicious. And it was the only time during our trip in CR that we got to eat really good home-cooked local Tico food (other than the ubiquitous gallo pinto which I love also). Ana and Pablo have exquisite taste in everything and everything they do and serve is done with style and of the finest quality.
I could go on and on about our experience there, coz I loved it and hope we can go back again some day. Ana and Pablo treat you like family and they are so well-read, well-informed and widely travelled - they can talk to you about anything and are fountains of information on local culture and way of life in CR. They have a genuine passion for their country and the traditional way of life and its infectious. I loved CR even more after I met them and visited their farm. We came as tourists and left as friends.

• Liked — Beautiful, serene surroundings, warm and wonderful hosts, excellent food, opportunity to experience the traditional CR way of life
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JuliaFairchild
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2008

I spent a week at La Anita Ranch in September 2008. I had no idea what to expect, and was blown away by what I found. First, La Anita is perfect as an unique experience that is off the beaten tourist track. I was one of only two gringas in the entire town, which was certainly a change from Monteverde and the beaches! By the end of the week, I had met several locals and was impressed by the tight-knit, welcoming community I had found. Second, the location is phenomenal. Each morning, I woke to birds of every shape and kind, and each night I fell asleep to the toads and lizards. From my cabin, I could see several volcanoes, mountains, and acres and acres of rainforest. The careful cultivation of the farm truly complimented the natural beauty of the surrounding area. Finally, the staff at La Anita was an absolute pleasure. Each and every person, from the managers to the cooks, made me feel at home. Everyone was welcoming, patiently answered all my questions, and even willingly listened to my attempts at Spanish.
This is an excellent place for those interested in photography, birdwatching, sustainable agriculture, or just getting away from it all. I absolutely recommend La Anita Ranch to anyone looking for a hidden gem in Costa Rica.

• Liked — remote setting, wonderful staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
#2 of 6 in Rincon de La Vieja
Rinconcito Lodge
Rinconcito Lodge
#3 of 6 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to La Anita Rainforest Ranch? Share your experiences!