I have mixed feelings about this place, the wooden cabins are clean and the bed comfortable, but very dark with a permanent and strong smell. There were no safe nor TV, which isn't a big issue, but there were tea/coffee facilities, A/C and a (basic) wardrobe. The domain is vast, however, the cabins are next to each other so you have to share the patio with your neighbours, there are also some independent bungalows, not sure whether the tarif is the same.
The parc itself gave me the feeling like it was neglected and unfinished, with rough grounds, lots of stones and dust but few plantings, there is no night lighting so bring a torch, otherwise you will get lost, I managed to get lost during the day, so at night...
There is a pool in the middle of the parc which I didn't have the opportunity to try, well, the colour of the water put me off to be honest!
Breakfast was okay in quantities but not appetizing, the bread and fruits didn't look fresh, the sausages fatty and/or overcooked, the coffee looked more like a strong tea than the tasty, traditional Costa Rican coffee.
The staff were neither friendly nor bad, just neutral, providing you with the bare minimum, for sure they remain at your disposal for any question, but I really didn't feel like it!
What else? The good thing is that there is a river down the restaurant with a suspended bridge, and a wall for rock-climbing, the place is suitable for rafting, a little bit further there are also here and there along the river areas of calm waters where you can swim, but here again the water was not very engaging...
All in all, this lodge looks outdated and not well maintained, what a contrast with the natural beauty of the area, it is a pity.
As a side note, if you are in the area, besides the Rincon de la Vieja parc, I recommend you the mud pools, it is an experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by beautiful gardens just 8 kms from Liberia, we offer a different way to enjoy the natural beauties that surround the Guanacaste National Parks as Santa Rosa, Rincon de la Vieja and Palo Verde.Canyon de la Vieja Lodge offers 50 rooms of which two have access for people with special needs, each has a small front terrace, equipped with double beds, air conditioning, private bathroom, hot water and amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Canon de la Vieja Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canyon De La Vieja Hotel Rincon De La Vieja
- Canon De La Vieja Lodge Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja