“Best deal in town for breakfast!”

French Corner Bakery
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in Cambria
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stop at this bakery every time I go to Cambria - they have espresso machines, wooden bench seating inside against the wall (some local groups meet there), parking in front, some small tables bordering the sidewalk, and the best baked goods I've ever had.

It was difficult to pick what I wanted for breakfast last Sunday before I left for my drive to Big Sur, so I decided to just go nuts and get a bunch of stuff: a bear claw, almond croissant, a piece of their artichoke/tomato/cheese pizza (still warm!), and a spinach and feta cheese roll. Hmm, what to eat first? Part of the pizza disappeared immediately, then the entire bear claw - no small accomplishment, considering how large they are! : )

Have you ever eaten a pastry with sugar icing that was so fresh it was almost dewy?

So I left town happy as a clam, sipping my latte, munching my bear claw, and enjoying a satisfying sugar high.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We popped in for a couple of coffees one afternoon. The lady behind the counter was incredibly grumpy - I know we all have off days, but we were really put off by her surly attitude. The coffee itself was fine, but nothing outstanding.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Dropped in for a warm drink and pastry. I had the white chocolate milk and it was enjoyable. They have several different types of chocolate cake, we ordered the Rasberry chocolate and they gave us German chocolate, didn't realize it until we were half way through it and notice no rasberrys at all.......didn't bother to say anything to the servers, just dealt with it. It was kind of disappointing.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

The bakery has wonderful fresh bread and desserts you can take back to your rental. Sandwiches, coffee, etc. Dine out in one of the restaurants in town and forget about dessert at the restaurant. Stop by The French Corner Bakery and buy a large slice of carrot take to take home (or enjoy in the bakery.) The cake is super moist with thick, thick layers of creme cheese frosting in between. Heaven is the best word to describe it. The best I've ever had. Better than any other dessert I've tried in town (and I've tried almost all of them.) The crusty white bread in heavenly as well. Take some home with you, you won't regret it. This is a great little place and very popular with the locals too so you know it must be good.

1  Thank lucylocketCA
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I thought this would be the perfect place to have some lunch in Cambria. A cute little bakery with fresh sandwiches was appealing to me. Thankfully the food did not disappoint. I got an italian style sub ($8.25) and it was big and delicious.

However I feel I have to comment on some of the worst service I have received so far. I was going to eat there but the counter staff were so unfriendly that it made me decide to take my order to go. I would expect a polite greeting and someone asking if they could help me by taking my order, etc. Instead I got silence and two women staring at me like I had inconvenienced them by entering their bakery. It wasn't just me, I saw them do this with several other customers who came in after me while I was waiting. One lady ordered two drinks then asked which coffee was a latte and which was regular. Instead of just telling her helpfully they said 'it's on the cup' then went back to talking. The lady couldn't find it and had to ask again. They just repeated the same thing despite standing right next to her and being able to just point it out instead of making this women search the lid, the sides, etc. until she found it a minute later. It just seemed unnecessary and rude. The women behind the counter did not enjoy their customer service role and it showed in the poor quality of service. There was a tip jar there and I was tempted to take money out of it to compensate me for such poor service. I can't imagine why anyone would've left money in it.

These women's attitudes fed into the whole place too, with everyone eating in silence in the cafe instead of any sort of noise or talking. The place could use a little background music to help with the atmosphere as well.

1  Thank newfrog