“Nice Little Place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Yorba Linda, California
“Nice Little Place”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I read reviews about this place on trip adviser and when Travel Zoo came out with vouchers we decided to book. We usually go to the Cambria area once a year and our friends had invited us to go up there with them. We both bought the vouchers. The price was a GREAT value! We had a decent dinner with wine, 2 nights stay, breakfast, and wine tastings included. The dinner was okay and breakfast was more than enough. Nothing to brag about but plentiful and tasty. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Our friends upgraded their room and it was much nicer than ours, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with ours. We just needed a place to crash that was clean and safe, which this was. It was a great location to use as a jumping off point to attractions such as Hearst Castle and SLO. The grounds were well maintained, they have a beautiful garden with trails you can walk, and the service was good. They seemed really friendly even though they were inundated with Travel Zoo customers. All in all it was a really great value for the money if your are looking to go to the central California coast and don't care to stay at a fancy hotel or resort.

Room Tip: if you really want to have a nice romantic room, then upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natron76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Polish first
Fresno, California
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Cambria Pines Lodge is a gem. It is peaceful, relaxing and a truly magical place. The grounds are beautifully kept. The cabins and suites are a bit rustic but this only adds to the overall charm of the place. They have mini refrigerators, TV's and free Internet access. They are set in the woods with tall pine trees and natural landscaping. I nearly always see deer and wildlife grazing around the cabins and trees.
The employees are professional and friendly. One can tell they enjoy working where they do. They treat guests with respect and courtesy. My favorite employee is the manager at the restaurant, Sharon. She has a warm smile and treats you like a family member. All employees treat you more like a close member of a happy family.
The dinner at the restaurant is delicious! I particularly enjoy the filet mignon with the gorgonzola butter but the salmon or the scallops are just as delicious! There is a beautiful outdoor heated gazebo that is pet friendly. I have met many wonderful guests and their "furry" companions when dining there.
They have a wonderful heated pool and spa area. I love having a nice dinner, go back to my room and change and spend the rest of the evening until 10pm relaxing in the spa with a plastic cup filled with some wine I had purchased at a nearby winery. A perfect evening!
I go as often as I can and it's so affordable with one of the many packages they offer. Sometimes I go even without the coupon because I like to treat myself to a peaceful couple of nights. If you are expecting a five star spa hotel, this place isn't for you. If you want a beautiful, relaxing, clean spot where you can get a massage and refresh your soul, than this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The large or deluxe suites are huge and a bargain. They have large patios or balconies that overlook...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank malerntogo
california
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have stayed in this lodge twice. The first time was perfect. We booked a deluxe suite--only way to go here. The view of the pines from the patio was refreshing. The meals included with
our package were very good. Try the filet mignon or the halibut. Yum! The second visit, this past
week, was not as wonderful, as we had an older room which was like a dungeon. The floor above
us creaked like it might fall when someone walked up there. I would definitely return, but, only if
I could book a new, deluxe suite. The area is my most favorite. The Moonstone Drive ocean view
is fabulous and the Cambria shops are a must!!

Room Tip: Get a newer deluxe suite. Avoid the older buildings.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This review is a little late but needs to be send anyway. My wife and I were there at the end of Sept 12 for two nights and enjoyed every second of it. We couldn't see enough of our lodging. My only disappointment was that we weren't there at the height of the garden blooms, etc. Even so, it was very photogenic. Got some beautiful pictures. Had breakfast before we left and it was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Malibu
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending the night at the Cambria Pines Lodge on election night. My accomodation was in a cabin, and I loved it. It was clean, and had plenty of space. I had dinner at the bar, and the bartender who served me was amazing. One thing that really stood out for me, believe it or not, was the absolute friendliness of the two women who checked me in, AND ALSO, the friendliness of the housekeeper who took care of my room. She was latina, and she was one of the nicest people I have ever met. It is unusual to focus on housekeepers, but the truth is that they can "make or break" a stay just as easy as anyone else. I will definitely return!

Room Tip: grab a cabin in the back! They are quiet and romantic!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ParadiseInThePines, Director of Sales at Cambria Pines Lodge, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the employees who helped to make your stay a good one. It's especially unusual for a reviewer to take the time to compliment a housekeeper, and we appreciate your recognition that this hardworking employee is instrumental in assuring a quality experience. We hope to see you again soon!
durham, england
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here for one night as part of a tour and we loved it. The room was enormous with 2 sofas, tables, fridge, microwave, gas heater, log fire and shutters on the windows. OK, it was slightly shabby chic but that just added to the charm and it was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small but perfecly functional. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant but didn't partake of breakfast. The gardens, I think everyone agrees, are lovely. The night time entertainment the night we stayed was heavy rock so we didn't stay but the younger members of our part enjoyed it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here when we went to Hearst Castle for a few days. The grounds are huge. Nice big pool and very well kept landscaping. However, that was all that I can say was good. The place is old, needs updating and the rooms were not kept clean. My sister in law used the in room spa tub, even though I told her to saty away, and ended up with a UT infection a few days later. The breakfast buffet was just that a buffet. Nothing special and way overcrowded. Not enough places to sit and you could not get anything freah made? The price was right but I will not go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends