“Cambria by the sea”

Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed November 30, 2009

My daughter and I checked in on Sunday Nov. 22. We were greeted with a smile and a delicious chocolate chip cookie. The rooms were very spacious and the queen size beds comfy. In the evenings we relaxed to a wonderful fireplace and enjoyed cable tv that had more then 8 channels. They have a excellent continental breakfast with waffles and pastries from local bakeries. Looking forward to my next stay. Mike

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed November 29, 2009

We booked the Fall Special at this hotel website and got a nice large king bed room with a fireplace at what we considered a very good price for Cambria. Although the room is at the back of the property with no view, we determined that very few of the hotels along Moonstone Beach actually have great views.

All the hotels at Moonstone Beach are across the road from the broadwalk that goes along the bluff above the beach. None have what I would consider oceanfront rooms, and only a few would have really good ocean view rooms. The boardwalk is very pleasant, however, and we walked along it and down to the beach, where we spotted several seals. Some local residents that we talked with recommended the Early Bird dinners at The Sow's Ear Restaurant downtown. This was a restaurant that had also been recommended by the staff at the hotel. We took advantage of the early bird savings and had an excellent dinner.

Our room was very large and comfortable and the fireplace was quite pleasant in the cool evening.
Nice amenities like fluffy robes and complimentary bottled water. It would be nice if they would add a comfortable chair near the fireplace so that you could sit by the fire and watch TV.

The complimentary breakfast was the usual Best Western fare with hot waffles. It was served in a room next to the pool. Breakfast room is not very large and I suspect that had the hotel been filled, the breakfast room would be very crowded.

3  Thank Kitters
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Our room was clean, but we were disturbed by a refrigerator that went on and off throughout the night and a noisy exhaust in the bathroom.

The room was average size, but the bathroom was oddly tiny. In the bathroom the shower was unsatisfying and the water pressure in the sink was extremely weak. The towels were the smallest and thinnest I have seen in any Best Western in the past five years.

The room is heated by an old electric heater of a type I have never encountered before.

Breakfast was served in a room far too small for the number of rooms booked even on a mid-week evening in mid-November. The breakfast counter is cramped an unappealing, but we were able to make a satisfactory breakfast from the offerings.

We will stay elsewhere on my next visit to Cambria.

1  Thank wonderfulworld
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We took an impromptu trip on Highway 1 and found ourselves in Cambria for the night. After checking out 3 hotels, the room at the BW Fireside called to us strongly. It was a pleasure to stay there. We had a King bed with sofa and fireplace; bathroom had a large countertop. Everything we needed was there including robes, iron/ironing board, bottled water, refrigerator and 2 luggage racks. The staff was very pleasant and the continental breakfast was above average. Free internet was available in the lobby. Highly recommend.

1  Thank elnap29
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We planned to stayover one night in Cambria during our drive down the California Coast from SF to LA. Read reviews on this motel and it didn't disappoint. This motel is on a strip alongside many other small-ish motels by the beach. It was pretty quaint, the service was great...the guy who gave us our keys gave us pointers on where to eat and when/where to see the magnificent sunset. We had a room with a fireplace. Room was pretty spacious for two and was clean. Room was pretty pricey for our budget, but was worth it when we were able to wake up to the sound of the ocean.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ocojom
Reviewed October 10, 2009

This place is just about perfect! Fireplace in the room looks out toward the ocean and a nature walk. Super quiet place. The most absolute best staff I have been to, I was treated with special care and kindness during my stay. Everything I needed was there. Rooms were large and luxurious, beds comfortable, huge bathroom. If it wasn't so far from me I would be there every chance I got!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank SerendipityOne
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I was very pleased with the room and customer service. I was a little apprehensive about staying at a Best Western, but I was happily surprised. The location is fantastic! You are literally across the street from the beach and Hearst Castle is nearby. We received great customer service from the reception desk to the janitorial staff. My only complaint is that the rooms are on the first level. I usually prefer a second or higher floor.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family