“OK - but no air conditioning”

Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Park Ridge, New Jersey
“OK - but no air conditioning”
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Clean, comfortable room. But if you're there in the summer, beware -- THERE'S NO AIR CONDITIONING!!! Despite what the owner may tell you, it can get warm and stuffy in the summer. It's difficult to leave the window open, because most of them face the parking lot and all rooms are on the ground floor.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable room
  • Disliked — No air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank kib57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We stayed here for one night during our drive along the coast and onto LA.This hotel was great value for money-our room was large,comfortable and very well equipped.The bathroom was modern and very clean.I would not pay extra for a patio room tho as they just look onto the car park!Breakfast was a nice touch and was more than adequate for our needs.Cambria itself was very quiet and our one night stay was just enough.We really enjoyed our visit to Hearst Castle and had an excellent meal at The Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill which was situated just along from The Fireside Inn.Overall an ideal place to stay and we would return.

• Liked — Great value
  • Disliked — Breakfast room a bit cramped
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EveGlos_UK
Southern California
Reviewed August 15, 2008

The Fireside Inn was quite a disappoinment. Although we were prepared by a previous guests comments on this site about the patios being built onto the partking lot, we were not prepared for the brusque and curt reception we received. Room was spacious for 2, but not a family of 4. Bathroom was tiny but clean with very little water pressure. When we questioned staff on the availability of a room with a patio, we were scoffed at, since we booked our room with a senior discount. Not a complete disappoinment, breakfast was decent, linens were clean, and the view while walking on the beach trails were breathtaking.

• Liked — Location and scenery
  • Disliked — Staff, room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Coppell, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2008

The service was amazing. The staff were delightful. I was on my honeymoon and not only loved the sound of the crashing waves at night but also the great access to beach. If you are looking for an amazingly California, laid back and completely relaxing experience, then this is the place to be. I loved the market place and amazing finds as well. Thanks for making our honeymoon worthy to remember a lifetime... Thanks to Best Western inn.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jrny80
California
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed at the Fireside Inn, July 12th, for one night. We were up in Cambria for a memorial service and just needed a bed for the night. Check Inn was interesting but good. We were running late and the woman at the desk wasn’t sure if our room was ready yet. We asked for a place to change and she directed to the breakfast room, which had a large bathroom off it. We left her our credit card, ran and changed, in the event the room was not ready. Dressed and ready to go, we returned to the lobby. The woman at the front desk was helping another couple but dropped everything, told me to sign here, here and here, handed me my key, my card and we were off. About 10 minutes later, I thought to myself, how rude we must have looked to that other couple. I think I apologized but if I did not, I do now. SORRY. After the memorial, we went back to the room. It was clean and cozy. There was a refrigerator, a fireplace in the corner and complimentary water. The beds were very comfy. We changed, again, and went to Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill. The view was great and the food was excellent, for a beach bar. After dinner, it was back to the Inn. We went to the Jacuzzi/Pool. The Jacuzzi was HOT, HOT, HOT but the pool was a nice temperature change. The Inn provided bathrobes so we grabbed those and walked down to the beach. It is rocky and difficult to navigate at night but it was nice once we got down to the water. The next morning we had the complimentary breakfast at the Inn. It was nice, fruits, cereals, breads, etc… Cambria is a beautiful town but I did not get to spend very much time there. We will definitely go back. The price of the Fireside Inn is a little high when I think “Best Western” but then I just had to remember where I was, the view and the amenities, it all became worth it. What started out to be a very sad day, ended with a very nice overnight getaway.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TJCCalifornia
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We wanted to stay in Cambria for a few nights for a celebration and did a lot of research. When I called the Fireside Inn I was told about how lovely it was, how the ocean view was great. I saw from online photos what appeared to be a big room with a door leading to the outside patio.

That was exactly what we wanted and I booked the room at a high price but it was in-season. After driving down Moonstone Beach we saw a lot of motels and I did think that Fireside was one of the nicer ones for the area. We got our room and we were both disappointed in the size, the view out of a window of the ocean and a patio we shared with others. For over $300 a night I expected more.

I checked with the desk and yes this was the room they say I reserved and I walked about of the lobby muttering. To there extreme credit they called my room and wanted to make me happy. They gave me the key to another room which had to be 50% larger, had the sliding door to the fullocean view and a private patio. We changed rooms and spent two lovely nights.

Would I spend a total of $600 for two more nights there? Probably not. I could stay at some five star hotels in other towns for that price. But I give the desk person all the credit in the world for hearing my complaint and working to make us happy. They deserve a lot of credit for this and everything else about the place was fine.

Just know that all of the motels along this road as simply that, motels. There is nothign what I would call fancy about Cambria which is something we liked about the area but felt we paid a premeium .

So be carefuly and direct about you expect. You will likely love Cambria and the Fireside does seem like the nicest of the places in the area along the beachfront.

• Liked — I liked the view and the internet access was about the fastest I have ever found.
  • Disliked — It was just a motel, nothing special, the breakfast so quite ordinary.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tldmat
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 19, 2008

My 2 daughters and I checked in after a really long drive and a really long tour at Hearst Castle. Dale was very friendly upon check-in and our room was ready and waiting. He even gave us some dinner recommendations, which we were grateful for. (We chose The Sea Chest----very good food, very slow service).

Our room was clean, the walls were somewhat thin, we heard people on the other side of the wall and in the hallway. No big deal, though.

The hot tub and pool was nice and we especially enjoyed the continental breakfast the next day. It was more than continental, by the way. They even had a waffle iron. I am not a breakfast person, but I was all over it!

The biggest plus is that housekeeping not once came by to see if we had vacated. We left at around 11:00 and they were just coming along. I hate when you get woken up to "housekeeping" at 8:00am!!!!!

A very satisfactory stay, all in all.

• Liked — The customer service
  • Disliked — The tiny bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family