“Cozy stop”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Claremont, California
“Cozy stop”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We received a vary warm welcome to this very nice hotel. Amble parking. Spotless, large bedroom. Excellent heating. Very nice breakfast in a very clean dining area, providing us with a great "continental" breakfast that could easily pass as a full breakfast. Hint: request room no. 2, which has an excellent view of the magnificent shore.

Room Tip: Request room 2 with excellent view of shore across road.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank claremonttraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Hebrew first
California
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Good value for a oceanview room. Although a balcony would have been ideal, that isn't an option here. When we stayed it was chilly and on the verge of a storm so our view from inside our warm room sitting at our table by the window was very nice though. It is only 2 hotels away from one of the best restaurants in Cambria, so a short walk. Also a great location to walk along the beach or the Moonstone Boardwalk. As for the rooms, it was a basic room. The bed wasn't very comfortable, more on the firm side but the room was a nice size. No bathtub, only standing shower stall. Very clean. I do have to mention the toiletries, though. The BEST smelling toiletries of any hotel I have ever stayed at. It was a orange scent, I wish I could have taken a few extra lotion bottles!!!! Has a pool and spa and offers breakfast, which we didn't eat because we left too early for it. We loved the patio chairs in the front that overlooked the ocean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kellilynn81
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

My mom and I were there for Christmas at the same time as the other reviewer and had a wonderful time. We showed up without reservations and were given an $89 room on the first floor facing north, which was perfect for us, as my mom can't do stairs. Even though the room faced north, it didn't prevent us from seeing dramatic skies and a rainbow over the ocean from our window.

Our room was clean, fresh and modern with a big tv and free wifi. The room had a good-sized fridge, and although it didn't have a microwave, the lady at the front desk let us use the one in the breakfast room to heat up some soup one evening. The bathroom sink was a large pedestal type (so no counter) and the bathroom was extremely clean with good towels, high quality toiletries, and an efficient heater. The shower head was a lot better than the one I have at home. The staff was very nice and had handouts prepared for Christmas guests showing what restaurants were open for Christmas and new years day. They also left a gift bag on the doorknob Christmas eve with two excellent scones and some chocolates.

The boardwalk that goes the full length of the beach had an entrance directly across from the inn with a branch leading right to the bluff. I think the Castle Inn probably has the most accessible lookout point for mobilly challenged people (shortest distance without any steps) along the entire hotel row. My mom enjoyed walking out to the overlook, while I continued down the short staircase to the tide pools and small beach area.

The Castle Inn is part of a group of more expensive Cambrian hotels so that might explain the better quality toiletries in the bathroom, and the more extensive breakfast than you'd get with, say, a Super 8 motel. My mom couldn't stop raving about the inn. I'd definitely stay there again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Terry W
california
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We purchased a Living Soical deal to stay here because we had never been to the area before. I neglected to the read the fine print (my bad) about the black-out days as the only available time I had to go down was Christmas eve and Christmas day. Castle Inn agreed to apply the voucher credit to my stay but charged me the full amount - no discount.

While it was nice of them to apply a credit, the place was less than half full. Christmas Day there were only two other guests staying there. Given that, they should have given us the discounted price.

This place is similar to a Quality Inn. While there is nothing wrong with staying at a Quality Inn, the nightly rate for a Quality Inn is about $90 per night, which is the value for the voucher. They are charging something like $150 per night (off-season). I can understand them charging more during the summer - as they are right on the beach and have great views, but in the dead of winter when it is cold and windy out...not so much.

The staff was extremely kind and welcoming. There is a breakfast provided which is the standard fare - yogurt, some danish, some fruit, assorted dry cereals, etc. Don't expect any bacon or eggs. Christmas Day we had breakfast delivered to our room because, as I said, we were one of only three rooms occupied, so they didn't want to open the breakfast dining room (the breakfast dining room has all the ambiance of a laundromat).

We had the "best room" which had a wonderful view of the ocean, a king-size bed and a shower the size of a hall closet. Also, absolutely no counter-space in the bathroom, so no place to layout make-up or anything like that. There was a nice new flat-screen TV and we were able to hook up one of our laptops to it using an HDMI connection so we could watch a movie in our room.

There is a small pool and hot tub, but the weather was so cold we couldn't use either since they were outdoors. Supposedly, they were heated, but when my husband checked, he found the hot tub to be about 98 degrees which was too cold to be worthwhile. This isn't really their fault, because it was cold, rainy weather.

The room was clean and tidy, but the carpeting looked a bit worn. They are in the process of updating the furniture in the rooms, but it doesn't look like they are replacing the carpeting or upgrading the HVAC system.

You are provided old fashioned room keys instead of magnetic cards and that can be concerning security-wise.

There is no thermostat in the room to control the heat. Instead, there is a slightly noisy wall register in the wall next to the bed. If you want heat, flip a switch on the left side. You will get a great deal of heat. Once the room is warm, flip it back or you will cook. We warmed up the room, turned it off and then woke up around 4 am freezing, so flipped it back on.

There is free internet and we had a solid connection the entire time. There was a very small table in the room that my husband and I shared as we each have laptops and like to play on the internet in the evenings.

There is a nice walking path on the beach directly across from the inn and the downtown area is a short drive away.

They did not provide a receipt when I checked out, so I am going to have to check my bank statement to make sure they didn't over-charge me for the stay. That always makes me a bit nervous.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2, which is on the second floor closest to the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cadagility
CALIFORNIA
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We paid $85 for one night with a LivingSocial deal for Sunday to Thursday nights. This included an Ocean View room on the second floor (unfortunately it was foggy so we couldn't see the ocean). We were in room 34 at the top of the stairs. The room was good size with a high ceiling and small gas fireplace. There was no other heat in the room. No A/C either (probably not needed in Cambria) and there was a fan. Furniture is dated. King bed was OK. Bathroom was small with missing grout around the tub and some mold. However, the only real concern was the noise both from the highway just behind our unit, and the pilot gas in the fireplace (it sounded like running water all night).

Room Tip: Ocean view room is nice but noisy due to highway just behind the units.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Forest, California, United States
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I booked this hotel for this Thanksgiving after reading some good reviews here. Though the room rates were little pricey which is common in Cambria, but I got a good deal of 3rd night free. The location is jut too good across the street from the beach access, we could watch the ocean from our rooms. All the front desk ladies were very helpful. I requested microwave at room, which they didn't have, but got surprised to see one when I checked in. The breakfast room is small but cozy and good enough choices. The front lawn is great to watch the sunset. It has a heated pool and jacuzzi too. Not a luxury but very good value for money. Will stay again!

Room Tip: Go for room #34
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sourav R
Escondido, California
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I booked 2 nights through a Living Social Deal, so we only paid $85/night, which was a great deal considering Castle Inn is located across the street from the beach! The rooms were a great size, although the bathroom (esp. shower) was rather small. I had seen pictures of rooms prior to stay our stay and I guess we stayed in a room that hasn't been upgraded lately. The decor (bedspread, curtains, carpet, and light fixtures) were rather dated. We stayed on the 2nd floor with a "partial ocean view". If you are deciding between partial or full ocean view, I wouldn't spend extra money a full ocean view; you still have to look over the parking lot to see the ocean and it's better to just pay what's within your budget and walk across the street to enjoy the water! We were pleasantly surprised with the fact that there were seals on the rocks right off the coast. The breakfast spread was pretty decent including cereal, pastries, hard boiled eggs, coffee and juice. The front desk staff was friendly, as well. All in all, a great stay. We'd stay here again if were could get a comparable rate.

Room Tip: I would definitely request a room on the second floor, however, if you are deciding between partial...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple