“worth getting to cambria for”

Madeline's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Cambria
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Wine Tasting Room by Day & Restaurant by Night! I think one of the best ways to get the full experience of Madeline's is to visit our open daily wine tasting room where you can try some of the best boutique wines that the central coast has to offer and then finish off your custom wine tasting with dinner in our full service dining room! We thank you for spending a few moments on our website and hope you enjoy all that the central coast has to offer. See you soon! David - Chef/Owner
Thornton, Colorado
“worth getting to cambria for”
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I am a foodie and always appreciate the chef owned restaurants. David, the owner of this one, goes above and beyond to be attentive to his guests, it almost feels like he's invited you to his house for dinner. Just so happens it's his restaurant instead. He takes pride in being as much about the front of the house as the back and it shows in his attention to service as well as in the quality of the food. He has been there in downtown Cambria for five years and I hope he keeps staying there b/c it's worth the trip to eat a meal there. There are specials along with the regular menu, delicious bread and coffee, always important features in any restaurant of worth. The noise level is fine and the tables arranged so that diners can visit with one another if they are so inclined. The wine list is decent, and I had a glass of wine from one of the wineries I had visited that day and had tasted. Nice echo of the day's earlier adventures. David let me visit the kitchen and on the walls he has drawings done by children who have visited the restaurant. Once the walls are full, he takes them down and his daughter Madeline (after whom the restaurant is named) puts them all into a big scrapbook. Nice personal touch, again it's the whole chef-owner thing and personal attention b/c he is the product. I am always about service, being in a service business myself, so always appreciate when I have a wonderful service oriented experience. A nice meal, a pleasant evening, would love to eat there again. Next visit, hopefully. Thanks David at Madeline's.

2 Thank travelwork

Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Meal in CA”
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We ate at Madeline's on a recent Sunday night while on a short trip. This restaurant was simply superb, as was the service. Have no complaint's about the flatware or wine glasses. One in our party was 91 yrs old and had no problems tipping the glass. Everyone was hoping that there would be leftovers from the other plates, but to our disappointment we at it all. David has a real goldmine, and Madeline's is the place to eat in Cambria. Keep up the good work, as we will be back.

1 Thank HDinWI
San Francisco
“Good food, subpar dining experience”
Reviewed February 9, 2008

My biggest issue with the restaurant was not the food, which was above average, but the prices of the meals releative to the total experience. The flatware is the cheap, light metal material found at a diner, and they use the same shape of wine glass regardless of whether serving a white or red. And the wine glasses themselves are so cheap and heavy, that their weight alone would discourage tipping your glass very often! Go to Costco and upgrade! The prices of the entrees should command nicer place settings!

The seafood pasta got raves from my brother-in-law, the lamb was perfectly cooked, the ahi special delicious, but the lamb shank lacked seasoning and was quite bland.

2 Thank skljpl
San Diego
“A new found favorite!”
Reviewed January 24, 2008

Though our 1st trip to Cambria, we are confident this will remain one of our favorite restaurants here. The food is excellent and David the Owner/Chef really has a knack for creating great meals.

The menu had a variety of interesting and creative choice in each category. We had the special savory torte appetizer, duck and the ravioli main courses, and a chocolate mouse cake dessert. ALL were excellent.

Even more memorable is his attention to his customer’s needs and preferences. We were impressed as we watched him take the time to meet the people at each of he tables and his genuine concern for the quality of their dining experience. His care is reflected in the quality of the food served here.

2 Thank NGandBB
Signal Hill, California
“Can't even remember the food the service was so bad”
Reviewed January 23, 2008

My Wife and I went in on Christmas Eve for dinner. It looked to me as if they were short staffed. They had two 20 something waiters and a teenage helper who walked around like Ozzy.

We were seated. It was at least 10 minutes or so before we got water and were greeted by the waiter. He was overwhelmed we could tell. We noticed him fumbling around with other table obviously having issues with their orders. He then came back about 20 minutes later. He took our wine and appetizer order. He then came back with our appetizer, but no wine for another 5 or 10 minutes. We then placed our dinner order. It was probably 30 minutes at least before we got it. We then noticed that other tables had bread. We didn't make a stink as they were having a hard enough time. The whole dinning experience took from 7:30 to almost 10:00pm. I felt really bad for them.

We did meet some really nice people though. A few tables were talking here and there about the service and how we felt sorry for them having to be short staffed or overbooked. Two older couples invited us and another table over for wine Christmas Night.

Probably just an off night, I'll try it again though.