“A Home away from home”

GreenLeadersGold level
Singapore
“A Home away from home”
Reviewed April 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on our Honeymoon. Like any place we decide to stay at, this was a place we had booked after very careful selection, - already the rave reviews gave us comfort that this would be a good choice. Nothing however, prepared us for the utter warmth and hospitality that greeted us when we arrived. Eleanor takes service to another level altogether; a surprise bottle of champagne was prepared for us, together with a generous cheese platter, cookies, chocolate and other delights (all very sweetly put together). The room was spotless and cosy, and the private entrance where we could come and go as we liked pleased us very much. Breakfast each morning was HUGE and delicious - we had eggs, bacon, waffles with strawberries, potatoes, and the most fantastic thick, chunky guacamole which my husband fell so in love with. Bill and Eleanor's remarkable attention to detail truly touched us; fresh flowers, snacks in the room, slippers if needed, ultra-cosy bathrobes as well as a little card with written congratulations to us newly-weds added a nice touch. The location is perfect if you are touring Hearst Castle, Paso Robles and around. We would HIGHLY recommend this place to all.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SingaporeFoodies

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Santa Clara, CA
Reviewed January 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Her Castle for his birthday weekend getaway. It was a wonderful restful stay. From the moment I booked our stay, Eleanor was very attentive. I mentioned to her that we were there for his birthday and she asked me what kind of dessert he liked. We were greeted with a cheesecake for him which was his favorite!

We booked the King Room which was very spacious, with a large bathroom and extremely comfortable bed. We had our own private balcony with a refrigerator that was stocked with sodas and water. We also had plenty of snacks in the room as well as a coffee maker. We had a TV (which we barely used) as well as HBO, and other premium channels in the room. Best of all, we had Wi-Fi access which worked well for us. AT&T doesn't work very well in Cambria. We had our own entrance so we could come and go as we liked. The only time we saw Bill and Eleanor was during our large breakfasts which was very generous! They're not kidding when they tell you you should plan to skip lunch!

They also recommended wonderful places to eat and visit. All in all, it was a great stay.

Stayed January 2009
3 Thank crowiecat
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Thanks so much to all the TripAdvisor users for giving such a rave review of this place., One would never expect such a small B&B that doesn't accept credit cards (except through Paypal) would get such unanimous praise.

Still, despite the accolades, I was totally unprepared for what a welcoming and relaxing experience the Seaveys provided. Eleanor completely went above and beyond when, being a working couple, my wife and I were unable to reach Cambria before 9:00. She still whipped us up a HUGE cheese tray (3-tiers full) and a full bottle of local wine for our first evening. She also made sure she knew of any food allergies we had before making breakfast,. She was so thorough that I actually asked if there was anything I could do for her.

Rooms are located on the first floor of a three-story house. Each has their own private entrance from the outside to a patio with a hot tub and stairs that lead to your car in the driveway. It's as if the floor plan of the house was designed to accommodate a B&B.

Never had I seem a more appointed room! The only thing I could have forgotten to take on the trip that was not already there were my clothes. Every manner of amenity you could ever need (even a lint roller or a ruibber duckie) was available for use, and at no charge. I even found a wooden massager in one of the cabinets.

No matter how much time we planned on spending in the room, it was equipped. Satellite TV, VCR, DVD player, AM/FM/CD, refrigerator stocked with free sodas and juices, and, a microwave in the hall outside, which also has board games and plenty of books. Even wireless internet is available (a good thing, since the cell phone reception is difficult). I actually felt guilty for not spending more time in the room relaxing.

To top things off, it would be be impossible to count all the tiny details the room had, such as fresh flowers, lots of candles, and embroidered pillows, that added that extra touch of romance.

Breakfast was fantastic, even for a home-cooked B&B. The Seaveys made it even better with their conversation. To them, running a B&B is more of a chance to make new friends than a business. Eleanor kept being helpful, asking our plans for the day, making suggestions, and giving directions.

B&B's, particularly in the central coast region of California, can be very expensive. I can think of no better one for the price than Her Castle. The other raves here on TripAdvisor do not even scratch the surface. If you're even thinking about it, book now! There are only two rooms, after all...

• Liked — The hospitality, food, and amenities. Guess that's everything!
  • Disliked — The hot tub wasn't working that weekend. Guess we'll have to go back!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Otaking
Ireland
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Stayed here towards end of July for two nights in the King Room and have to totally agree with all the pevious comments - the room is wonderful, large and spacious as is the bathroom too and all at a really good price - great value for money ! Really liked having a separate entrance from the main house - makes it more private. Thanks again to Eleanor and Bill - hope we will be able to get back to stay again soon.

A & K Dublin

Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank teach16
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I found this haven while searching the internet and it was my lucky day. My wife and I booked a two night stay in June 2008.
Upon our arrival we were presented with a "goodie" basket that consisted of a bottle of wine, cheese, crackers and fruit. We didn't need dinner after our little snack.

We stayed in the Queen Bedroom which was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was spotless. The room had a small refrigerator which had a selection of soda, juice and water (no extra charge). The bed was very comfortable.

In the morning we awoke to the smell of fresh coffee which was waiting outside of our bedroom door. The coffee shared the tray with fresh fruit and baked goods. Then we went upstairs for breakfast which was as good as everything else we'd experienced since our arrival. We met two different couples over breakfast during our two day stay and had some wonderful conversation during the meal.

Eleanor and Bill Seavey were wonderful hosts who went out of their way to please us. Eleanor even arranged a stay at another B&B for us as we traveled back to San Francisco. Thanks so much you guys....you were great! We will be sure to stay with you again the next time we are in the area. Oh by the way Eleanor, if you read this, I have to apologize for taking such a long time to write this review. I should have written this back in July.

I'll end here by saying that Her Castle deserves a 5 Star Rating.

Cindy & Bob W.

• Liked — Clean, neat and excellent hosts
  • Disliked — We loved everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Trout_bumSyracuse_NY
California
Reviewed September 26, 2008

We stayed for 3 days and 3 nights at HerCastle and it was wonderful. We celebrated a birthday and the hosts were so accomodating with all the little request I had to make the birthday so special. They were very helpful and informative as what to do, what to see, and where to eat.

Freshed brewed coffee and pastry in the morning before the home cooked breakfast was wonderful...breakfast was fresh and delicicous! The room was cozy, comfortable and very roomy, all the amenities are there from slippers, robes, lotions and everything else you could possibly need...even if you have forgotten something, it is there for you to use.

Fiscalini Ranch is beautiful and right on the Ocean, it's a great place to be with someone special or just alone, or to go jogging or walk your dog.

All in all it was so worth the time to get away and take the beautiful drive up the coast to stay at HerCastle. Cambria is a great little town, very friendly and charming.!

Thank you Bill and Eleanor Seavey for an awesome time.

• Liked — Very Friendly and accomodating
  • Disliked — Kind of far from the beach, not within walking distance.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SitkaMom
CA
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I was trying to find a fun place to stay as we drove up the coast. This looked promising. From the moment I called and talked to Eleanor until we left, I felt it met my expectations. The queen room was very comfortable and I couldn't believe all the extra touches that were available. The hosts were very good about making sure that they were meeting any needs we might have.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Peg P