“Great food, great views!”

Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill
Ranked #17 of 50 Restaurants in Cambria
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill offers our diners breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean. Diners may choose to sit outside on our ocean front patio or they may sit inside where our large picturesque window allows a vast view of the ocean. We offer fresh seafood, steaks, and pasta. Our specialties include our creamy clam chowder and mouth-watering sauces that compliment every fresh seafood entree. For meat lovers, we offer a variety of juicy, delicious steaks. If you're a fan of onion rings be sure to order our Pork Chops; you won't be disappointed. We are known for our delicately battered fish and chips and our scrumptious fish tacos that make for a delicious lunch plate. Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill also boasts a full service bar where we have a variety of beers and a wine list that features central coast wineries. For the adventurous drinkers, be sure to try something from our special cocktail menu. We take pride in our excellent service and being a kid-friendly establishment with a free toy for every child. While we love pets, we do ask that you leave your pets at home when dining at Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill. When dining at Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill remember to sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill is an absolute must while visiting the beautiful town of Cambria! We've been coming here for years and the food, scenery and service are always excellent. The Salmon quesadilla was an unexpected surprise, imaginative and delicious!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,210)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We always enjoy our dinner here and last night was no exception. Our waitress was a doll and took care of everything. We never felt rushed or forgotten. The food tasted wonderful, and the portions were plenty. As far as the ambiance: who wouldn't love the ocean view, but the restaurant needs a little makeover. Thank you for a lovely time.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We have visited this lovely place many times, and it has always been a real delight, the menu, the view, ambience, not a thing to complain about, I know a lot of people in Cambria and San Simeon and it is a local favorite. The service is excellent, tell Max we said hello. Always lots of friendly seagulls too, they dont want you to feed them, ,but well, that is between the seagulls and me, and neither of us will admit anything.
Very enjoyable and relaxing.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

In early October, 2012, my son and I were taking a three-day scenic road trip through Central California, beginning in San Francisco and culminating with my son’s business conference in Santa Barbara. We live in Alabama and since neither of us had ever visited this part of the state before, I relied primarily on referrals from friends who had made the drive previously, and also reviews from TripAdvisor for hotels and restaurants, information which I have always found to be accurate and reliable.

We were spending one night in Cambria, lodging at the FogCatcher Inn (See my review on TripAdvisor) and asked for recommendations for dinner sites from the desk clerk there. She made several excellent suggestions, but the choices were mostly downtown locations. When she mentioned the Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill which was almost within sight of our hotel, and situated right on the beach with an ocean view outdoor dining patio, our choice of a restaurant was actually made for us by Mother Nature’s gorgeous open expanse of beach, ocean and sky.

Since we decided to eat early and watch the fading sun slip quietly into the Pacific, getting seated on the patio was expedited, no waiting. The view was terrific! Although the evening air was heading toward nippy, a few cocktails took care of that right away. (However, a few strategically placed outdoor heaters would have made things a bit more toasty and comfortable) By the time we had finished a couple of rounds of drinks, any thoughts of moving inside for dinner were quickly dismissed.

Our waiter was most attentive, without being overbearingly so. My son ordered a seafood and pasta dish while I ordered the steak. Fresh, tasty bread soon appeared, and in no time our waiter presented both dishes in a fresh-off-the grill state, serving them in a courteous, cordial manner. I had been disappointed in the last few steaks I had ordered at different restaurants at home, but I was determined to eventually find a good one, even if I had to travel to California to do so. And, I finally did...at Moonstone’s. It was an excellent cut of beef, cooked just to my liking - tender, moist and so succulent. My son’s menu item was just as scrumptious.

We enjoyed a singularly hospitable evening dining experience listening to the waves, surrounded by pleasant décor, interesting patrons, good drinks, fine food and a well-trained wait staff. Would we revisit this restaurant on our next trip to Cambria? I can’t imagine any other choice in Cambria that would begin to compare to the natural ambiance of the seaside patio at Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

It's in a lovely location, and that does color the review somewhat. If this was just another restaurant in some random city I am not sure it would truly jump out of the crowd. But being right there on the ocean, with indoor and outdoor seating within sight, smell, and sound of the ocean waves does alter the perception of the place somewhat.

The restaurant also has the advantage of having a captive market as there are very few dining choices within walking distance of the cluster of hotels on the beach. One wonders how it would do competing against a bunch of other restaurants nearby.

The food was good, nothing stand out, and frankly it was about what you'd expect for the price paid. You didn't feel like you were getting a bargain, nor did you feel as if the prices were outrageous for the quality. Although understand that this isn't a cheap place to eat, nor is it hugely expensive either.

I think at the end of the day, if you take away the location, and concentrate only on the food, I'm not sure I'd make a terribly long journey to seek it out. But if I were stuck in one of the nearby hotels with no cell service (they also have no cell service or WiFi in the restaurant) and I couldn't be bothered to drive in to town for some food, I'd probably just walk over to this restaurant, which is frankly probably why they are still in business.