“Good value”

Cambria Palms Motel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is a very good little motel...minimalist, but nice. Pergo flooring, real rattan chairs with leather cushions, mid-century desk, bathroom nicely tiled. Only clinker was the old sink vanity that was peeling a bit and had old bobby pins inside, which was a little yucky. Otherwise everything was very clean and in good shape. We were there for just one night and enjoyed our stay. It is an easy walk to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Cambria Palms Motel

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Cambria Palms is at the end of Main St. on the west side of town heading out into the country, so you may hear owls hooting or see deer crossing the road if you take an evening stroll. We stayed several weeks in a nice unit at the back that has a kitchen and sliding doors which open to a garden where a fire pit is often lit at night.

Our oversized queen bed was great, very comfortable! The bathroom is roomy and remodeled with a shower but no tub. I believe all of the units in this motel have showers only which was fine with us. The kitchen is dated but very useful with a small oven and large microwave/convection oven combo, The refrigerator is medium sized, not the usual tiny frig in most motel rooms. A medium sized flatscreen TV is mounted on the wall in the corner of the room. Also in the 'living' area is a large divan and 2 wicker chairs.

Make sure you take a local paper, The Cambrian, offered in the office on Thursdays and read about local news and activities. This motel more than met our needs!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have easy access to the garden and fire pit.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Safe and comfy. Can't complain, very nice bed, has tv and clean kicthen felt safe staying here and staff really nice. Other than yukky tasting water, which isn't there fault! Not too shabby! Good price! :D

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank cherry_cools
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here for one night in September. This was an overnight stay for visiting Hearst Castle. Cambria itself is a lovely town and the sunset on Moonstone Beach is not to be missed. We stayed in the rooms next to the firepit. The room looked like it had been recently modernised. It was clean & tidy. I would recommend this Motel to anyone. The price was excellent and was about 50% less than what we paid elsewhere in California on our tour. The lady at the reception was very friendly and recommended places to eat in the town. A great little motel.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking firepit.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Willie120c
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I recently stayed for one night at the Cambria Palms and was very pleasantly surprised - I think this will be the motel I use from now on when I visit Cambria, and I go there a lot.

I had stayed at the Palms a couple of years ago, when they were still in the process of renovating it. My experience was good at that time, but even better now, I was happy to see that they have added down comforters and that the floors are hardwood. They also have upgraded the TVs to flat screens instead of the little ones they supplied before. They added a bike rack outside with "cruiser"-type bikes the guests can ride into town.

My room and bathroom were clean, clean, clean - check-in was easy and pleasant, and the front desk person was very nice and helpful. Since I was just passing thru and only spending one night (and traveling alone), I didn't spend much time in the gardens in back, but they looked beautiful. They added a fire pit that was lit at sunset, along with chairs to relax in. I also took a walk down the street to the vacant lot/dog park (about a half block away) in the evening, and totally enjoyed myself listening to the owls in the trees, the creek, and enjoying the view. I found myself wishing that I could stay another night, but was unable to do so.

If you haven't been to the Cambria Palms for a while, I'd encourage you to visit it again - wonderful!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the motel (it's one-story) are the ones that lead directly out to thega...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rheadabovewater
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We made a spontaneous detour on our way back from Santa Cruz and couldn't believe the good price on this motel. We drove up, half expecting it to be a dump....but it was exactly the opposite. Very clean and tidy! The woman at the desk (I'm sorry but I've forgotten her name) was very friendly, helping direct us to an awesome place for dinner and making the reservation for us. Walkable to town and in a town so beautiful and charming (and in California) I can't believe there are places this decent for less than $100. Wow! No frills (pools, weight rooms) but we never use those things anyway, so it's nice not to have to pay for them.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank triciaoe
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I took our parents on a surprise road trip up to Hearst Castle from Los Angeles. We wanted to keep our expenses as low as possible when it came to lodging. When researching hotels and areas to stay in Cambria Palms was the lowest price. I researched the hotel and neighborhood since we have never been. I liked what I read about the town and even with mixed reviews of the hotel I figured we would wing it because we were just staying over night literally to shower and sleep.

When we pulled up to the hotel it was exactly what I expected, an old style motel with a modern flare. When we checked in the 2 men at the front (possible owners) were welcoming and informative about the town. Since we requested 2 rooms we asked for a joint room and we got one no problem. The door was locked when we first got into our rooms but the hotel clerk quickly unlocked it for us.

The rooms seemed newly updated, clean and the bed was comfortable. It was walking distance into the cute little town of Cambria and about an 8 mile ride to Hearst Castle. It was a relatively quiet hotel. When we first arrived around 5pm there were dogs barking since it's a dog friendly hotel. I don't mind though, I'm a dog person. Thankfully the barking all died down and by bed time it was quiet! My husband and I and the parents (in their 60's) all had a very good nights sleep.

My only request is that there be more outlets in the bathroom, made it hard to dry my hair.

I would for sure recommend this motel to anyone staying for the weekend especially if you have a dog.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family