“First Class for us AND our pooch!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambria Shores Inn

Cambria Shores Inn
Ranked #5 of 25 Cambria B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, CA
“First Class for us AND our pooch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

Wow! What a great weekend at Cambria Shores Inn. My only regret is that we only stayed one night. We chose this hotel based on a tip on a dog-friendly website. We incorrectly assumed that the hotel would be a bit run-down and stinky due to dogs staying there. Boy, were we wrong! Our room was newly remodeled and VERY comfortable. The ambience was very soothing and romantic - the perfect place to celebrate our Anniversary. Our doggie loved it too! He had his own "Welcome Basket" when we checked in. Quite impressive. We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrswestie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

My family and I decided to take a side trip to Cambria, before going home to northern CA., after spending several days visiting relatives in San Diego.
We have been to Cambria many years ago and had a lovely time there. Knowing it would be New Year's Day as our arrival date, I decided to check the winter rates along Moonstone Beach (we love the location and boardwalk) and found most of the lodgings higher than expected. Nevertheless, I discovered Cambria Shores Inn to have a special rate for a room that had the basic amenities my family and I were searching for. As always my expectation were skeptical on a place I have never stayed at. Truth be told, upon our arrival to the Cambria Shores Inn, I was highly impressed! The place offers the following: Courteous and friendly staff, clean and luxurious white bedding & linens, spacious and spotless room, decor was modern and tastefully furnished, large flatscreen TV with free DVD library, complimentary cookies, brownies, and appetizers during the day.
I knew ahead of time this place was a dog-friendly motel, but there were no clues or trace of fowl odor that a dog was in the room. I did not hear any dogs barking throughout the night!
The attractive grounds are professionally landscaped. The Adirondeck chairs brought added comfort to sit and watch the ocean waves across the street. I saw many travelers taking their continental breakfast basket and sit outside to converse or read the complimentary newspaper. With free Wi-Fi, you can enjoy your breakfast inside your room as you are on the Internet. The CB was scrumptious and extremely satisfying!
The owners, Kim and Leslie, are friendly and personable. They know how to treat their guest with the upmost hospitality. The V.I.P treatment is even extended to the traveling pets. They provide them with a basket of treats and amenities I have never seen in many places. It's astonishing and impressive.
The Cambria Shores Inn is definitely a place that will pamper any traveler or four-legged ones with the best V.I.P. hospitality comforts. We will be back to this special and memorable place. Thanks again, Kim and Leslie, for your gracious hospitality!

• Liked — The continental breakfast basket was a surprisingly generous treat.
  • Disliked — The cars in the parking lot took away some of the ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank beachtravelers6914
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2008

We had reservations at another property on Moonstone Beach Dr. but when we arrived, we were extremely disappointed with the attitude of the front desk gal, which was an automatic turn off to the entire property. With disgust, we left and started our drive north on Moonstone Beach when we came upon the Cambria Shores Inn. At first, I was taken aback by its 1950's exterior appearance, but once we met Scott and looked at one of the only available rooms, we were ready to sign on the dotted line! It is truly a remarkable place to stay. Even though the property is "dog friendly," we were never disturbed by the barking of a dog nor were we offended by any lingering odor of a dog in the room. The room had everything a traveler could want or need. I was impressed, not only with there being a coffee pot, refrigerator and microwave, but also with "real" glasses and coffee cups, an ice tub with tongs, cork remover, and "real" wine glasses. There was a fireplace in the room along with a very efficient heater. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens fresh and quite warm. All guests were treated to cookies in the afternoon with ready availability of fresh coffee, tea and hot water. In the morning, about 8:15, a lovely basket of breakfast foods was delivered to our room. It hung on a hanger right outside the door. In it we found croissant, ham and cheese, fresh fruit, orange juice and muffins. The only real drawback that I found was the enormous shower head centered overhead, in the middle of the tub. I felt like I was in a rainstorm when I took my shower. The tub was incredible though. It had hand grips for safety. Another minor drawback, if there could have been a door placed at the entrance to the sink area, it would have separated the sink/closet/dressing area from the main room. The reason, with the beautiful view of the ocean, we enjoyed having the blinds pulled up but could not have privacy when dressing. Other than that, I found it to be a very quaint and quiet retreat, with truly great views of the Pacific, unlike many of the other Moonstone properties along the ocean frontage road. We plan to return to this family owned and operated Inn in the near future!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Shower head location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

This place is like heaven for dog owners. Very dog friendly. We brought our two dogs up from Los Angeles, after booking over the phone. The fellow who checked us in was very nice- I think his name was Tim. He kind of reminded us of the Gorton's Fisherman. If he put on a yellow rainjacket he would be a dead-ringer for him. He even smoked a pipe (outside the office) just like the Gorton's Fisherman.

Anyway, I got off track. The people who run this place are very nice, and seem to love dogs. While many may want the "ocean view" rooms, there is actually one great room (I think it was 11?) that sits in the back and seemed larger and quieter than the other rooms, where people walk by and also park their cars. Another great thing is that the hotel serves brownies in the late afternoon.

• Liked — Brownies and the Gorton's Fisherman
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a few days for the second time this September. Last year, we loved this little gem so much, we extended our stay twice! We bring our two bijons (who also love it), but this year, some non-dog-owning friends came with us, and they loved it as much as we do. The renovated rooms are beautifully decorated, comfortable, have internet access, flat screen tvs, plush linens, mini-fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker. A simple continental breakfast is delivered to the rooms each morning, there are afternoon snacks and delicious brownies at night. It is across the street from beautiful, quiet, Moonstone Beach, where we enjoyed long walks on the boardwalk. It is a short walk to the Sea Chest restaurant, which if you love seafood and ocean views, can't be beat! For us, it is a wonderful, rejuvenating retreat!

• Liked — The personal touches of this delightful, family-owned inn
  • Disliked — Sometimes a large SUV can be parked in front of your ocean-view window
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

Cambria Shores has a wonderful, welcoming feeling and it made our stay completely memorable. The owners are so friendly, and they made impeccable choices with the recent renovation-from the hand-crafted woodwork to the moss green carpet and the fresh, crisp white bedding. It was so cozy-like sleeping in a big marshmallow! The room was incredibly clean with no traces of dog anywhere. I came with my 2 year old daughter and my mother, and it was perfect. The breakfast basket reminded me of stays in Europe, and socializing with the dog owners was really a treat for my daughter who loves animals. The beach is across the street and down a staircase. Great for beach combing-find a moonstone! And don't miss the elephant seals-they are very surreal. Harmony Cellars is a nice winery if you want something close by. This is the best place I have stayed in a really long time. I would definitely return...

• Liked — cozy clean rooms, nice hosts, tea selection
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

This is a "Dog Friendly" property. People friendly too.

The room was very comfortable, well appointed and furnished. The bed was very comfortable. Coffee maker, mini fridge, microwave. Dog bowls (water and food). Gas fireplace.

In the ofice, they have dog cookies, coffee, and the most delicious brownies! In the afternoon, there is a tray of cheese and crackers, crudites/dip, and a bottle of wine.

Sean and Dean were very hospitable, offering brownies, wine and snacks, and they helped us with our restaurant selection (we needed a restaurant with a patio to allow us to keep our dog with us) for dinner.

The hotel is on Moonstone Beach Drive. It is NOT directly on the beach, but is above it and across the street. You walk across the street to a wooden boardwalk. (There are a LOT of tiny squirrels [or maybe some related animal] that live under the walkway and jump underneath for safety as people and dogs approach.) There are paths down to the beach. There are no hotels directly on Moonstone Beach.

Unfortunately we didn't have time for more than a few short visits to the beach -- one dusk walk along the beach, one moon-light walk and a brief play on the beach in the morning. Next visit, I hope to spend at least two nights, so we can spend some more time at the beach and relaxing at the hotel.

Cambria Shores Inn was not originally my first choice for a place to stay near Hearst Castle, but it is now. I could not have been happier with the facilities and people.

• Liked — Pet Friendly
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family