“The Best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Cat Bistro
Ranked #10 of 47 Restaurants in Cambria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Morro Bay
“The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2007

After stopping into the Black Cat for appetizers and drinks a few times, my fiance and I finally decided to treat ourselves to a complete meal there last weekend. Let me tell you, it was absolutely amazing! We knew the appetizers were good, but the entrees were beyond our expectations. I consider myself a bit of a foodie, and my fiance and I don't always agree on places to eat, but he actually said this was the best "fancy food" he's ever had!

We both started out with the cheese plate - Manchego, Stilton, candied pecans, balsamic reduction drizzle, some sort of fruit bread and a shot of grape gazpatcho. Then we had the arugula and goat cheese salad. For a main course, I had the pork loin - hands down the best pork dish I've ever had - and he had the salmon (I don't eat fish, but he said it was delicious). We finished our dinner with a Stilton cheesecake that had caramel sauce and sauteed pears on top - I couldn't stop rolling my eyes every time I took a bite it was soooo good. We each also had a glass of Proseco with dessert, and it was fabulous!

This is a place we can both agree on, and we will definitely be back!

5 Thank MBFoodie

Petaluma, California
“My Favorite Bistro in Cambria, CA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2006

The food is always wonderful at Black Cat Bistro. The wait staff are friendly and knowledgable and eager to help make your dining experience the best it can be.
Call ahead to make reservations because they only have 15(?) tables and I have seen people lined up waiting to dine on past visits.
Right now they have a portabello mushroom for an appettizer that will just blow your taste buds to heaven.
The Scallops and Tomato soup are also great.
They also have a very nice wine selection to go with your meal and they always know which one will go best with each dish.

2 Thank Soulm8
Southern California
“Love the Black Cat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

We have made the Black Cat Bistro one of our traditional stops on our annual trip to Cambria. The atmosphere is wonderful--cozy and warm, and the service has always been excellent for us. The menu is creative, and has something for everyone. So far we've tried the salmon, ahi and short ribs and liked them all. The baby arugula salad is one of our favorites. My 9-year-old daughter raved about the fig bruschetta last year and they made her a pretty, virgin cocktail in a fancy glass--so she was thrilled. We'll be there next week and can't wait for another great meal!

3 Thank JeanineMB
Petaluma, California
“Simply excellent everytime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2006

I am just confused by a couple of previous reviews that discuss things that are not even on the menu at Black Cat. But let's not focus on them....I live in the area and this is still one of my top three favorite restaurants in the central coast!

My husband and I have dined at Black Cat Bistro twice in the last month. The first time with Phoenix visitors. So I can update my previous posts. The appetizer of portabello mushroom stuffed with marscapone cheese and drizzled with balsamic vinegar is so sensual we were moaning and groaning. It is just a taste phenomenan.

In our last two visits we have tried the duck, scallops, pork. All were very good. So were the salads and soups. We had leek soup one night and it was awesome.

The desserts are fantastic and obviously made on the premises. I decided to venture out last time and have this creamy pudding - that was so airy it melted in my mouth, sitting in a pool of blueberrys. I hope they are still serving it again next time we go.

We had the same excellent waitress each time, and she is so friendly, you feel like you are genuinely welcomed.

Black Cat Bistro is an adorable little restaurant, with three tiny colorful dining rooms. They have bench seats with animal print pillows, a roaring fire in the front room, and a nice wine bar to sit at in the back. It is quaint with excellent French style bistro food.

Sometimes it does take a while for your entree to arrive, as it is being freshly prepared. We are never upset about this, as they have a lovely wine list to tour and enjoy. (And just get the portabello mushroom while you wait. Yum) My husband and I love going, holding hands across the table under the candelight and enjoying the experience. Time is not important.

We are planning to return for our anniversary next week. Perhaps this is because we love bistro cooking and would rather eat that than at a fast food American style restaurant others might be more used to. But if you understand quality cooking and want one of the best leisurely romantic experiences in our area, don't hesitate to dine at Black Cat Bistro.

7 Thank Denise T
Santa Monica, California
“Poor service, gooey soup”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

We wanted to eat at the best restaurant in the Cambria area for our 3-day weekend away, so we chose the Black Cat Bistro based on Trip Advisor reviews. We had several disappointments, mostly to do with service. It was a full hour after we were seated before we had our main course. Meanwhile, I had the potato-leek soup, which was so over-thickened, that it had a gooey, gummy consistency. It was kind of like a mouthful of the stuff the dentist uses to make a mold of your teeth. I ate only two spoonfuls of it. The server, when she removed it, did not notice that I barely touched it and did not bother to ask if it was all right. She never came back after serving our main course, either. A bus-person brought the bill, and a different person brought the change. Nobody in the establishment asked about our dining experience, or even said goodbye. Let's face it: there are not too many choices in Cambria/San Simeon, but if this restaurant wants to maintain its reputation, it's going to have to train its staff better. The food overall was just OK. We had the duck breast. I will say, the fried spinach leaves were absolutely amazing: like crispy flakes, they melted in your mouth in the most heavenly way. I'd love to know how they do them.

2 Thank JulieJ8