“Excellent Short Ribs, cozy tables, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sow's Ear Cafe

The Sow's Ear Cafe
Ranked #9 of 47 Restaurants in Cambria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Short Ribs, cozy tables, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

A good friend recommended The Sow's Ear, we enjoyed our dinner very much. I had the fresh Halibut and my Husband ordered the Short Ribs - both were excellent. Dinners come with Soup or Salad, both were amazingly great, too. The bread was ok. We did not order dessert, but it looked good.

There is a bar next door that had great Happy Hour Specials.

1 Thank HappySurfer

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The menu is varied and the service is superb.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

My boyfriend and I dined here on the 29th June and were impressed with the warm welcome we received from Patrick and efficient service from our waitress Katy as soon as we entered. We had arrived quite late in the evening and ended up being few of the last customers by the end but that didn't matter. Our waitress, Katy, was friendly (but not in an over the top way), funny, and made us feel comfortable immediately. The menu was varied and the dishes we ate (spinach salad and cottage pie) each had a 'twist' to the flavours which made the food both a pleasant and memorable surprise from the usual offerings in other resturants around the same area.

Glendora
“Great early bird specials”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

We ate at the early bird specials from 5-6 pm. The atmosphere, service and value were all great. Food was very good except for their "famous" flower pot bread, bread cooked in a flower pot. Our bread turned very hard immediately, which usually means in my experience that they warmed up yesterday's bread. Cannot verify this and a minor problem to an otherwise very nice meal.

Los Angeles, California
“Loved it - well worth going”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

We ate dinner here on 5/15. To me this place should be #1 in Cambria. Very friendly and prompt service and outstanding food. And a neat place that isn't pretentious. We had the fried brie appetizer and it was the best cheese anything I have ever eaten. Next we had the stuffed chicken breast and the angus pot roast. Both were very well done and super tasty. And the dessert specials were to die for. A perfect meal.

1 Thank Hobbes310
Upland, California
“Bad trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

We have eaten at the Sow' Ear in the past and the meal was pleasant, however this trip was a different experience. My wife and father-in -law ordered the Kurobuta Pork-Rib Chops which were burned, overdone and tough. My father-in-law stuck with them and hasn't stop grumbling. My wife sent them back and requested to change to the lamb chops. In all fairness, she was told they take 18 minutes to prepare and in all fairness to my wife, she agreed. The chef, and I use the term loosely, rushed the order through on too high a heat. As to be expected, the outside was burned and the inside was raw. They were returned again and on the second trip out were deemed acceptable but most came home with us. My filet mignon was very tasty but it was ordered medium and was delivered rare/medium rare. It will be a long time before we try the Sow's Ear Cafe again. Desert was offered as a peace offering but fell short of making it a satisfying outing.