“Pleasant”

The Sow's Ear Cafe
Ranked #9 of 47 Restaurants in Cambria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fontana, California
“Pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2006

We arrived at the Sow's Ear at 8:45pm with no reservation, but they were kind enough to find us a table quickly despite the crowds and late arrival. The host was very friendly and kind. Everyone was friendly and the atmosphere was fine (nothing extraordinary). My husband and I enjoyed the macaroni and cheese (a much more elaborate and delicious version than what you might expect). We also enjoyed the mud pie (yummy!) for dessert (compliments of the restaurant for our anniversary). They also took and gave us a polaroid picture of ourselves - a nice touch. We would definitely return to this restaurant if we visit Cambria again.

San Francisco, CA, USA
“A bit slow, food mixed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2006

The Sow's Ear had been well rated on a couple of internet sites, so we gave it a shot. Being mid-week and out of season, we hadn't realized a reservation might be necessary, so we had to wait just a few minutes for a table. There was seating and the pleasant host offered us menus, so the wait was no chore.

The restaurant had two rooms, each full of happy looking diners and we were offered a nice corner table near the front window.

The waitress came to us after just a minute or two, offered us some drinks and then returned very quickly with our wine plus the Sow's Ear's apparently famous Flowerpot Bread (two different home made breads cooked and served in a flowerpot - very tasty).

Our shared appetizer, cheese stuffed mushrooms, came pretty quickly and was definitely good - small mushrooms with a cheesy, bready topping in a garlic butter sauce. Tasty enough although I am not sure they were up to the hype I'd seen on a couple of review sites.

Then came our wait! Between appetizer and entree, we waited maybe 30 or 45 minutes. After a good while, I called over the waitress and asked if there was a problem. She seemed surprised by my question, as though it had been just a minute or two, but assured me our dinners would be out shortly. In fact, it took maybe another 10 minutes for them to come.

My father had the shark special, which he said was very nice although he could have done with a little larger piece of shark. My mother, who has a smaller appetite than many american portions, had the shrimp appetizer as her entree and loved it. She mopped up all the sauce with the bread that came with it. I ordered what appeared to be the house specialty, chicken fried steak, which was served with mashed potatoes and gravy. It ended up being rather disappointing - the breading was a little thick in comparision with the size of the steak and the gravy was rather bland.

We skipped dessert, but they looked very large and very good on other peoples' tables.

Total cost for 3 glasses of wine, 1 appetizer and 3 entrees was around $91 before tip.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at the Sow's Ear although the wait between appetizer and entree was annoying. I'd probably go back but would skip the chicken fried steak.

1 Thank penfoldSF
Huntington Beach, California
“Great!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2006

My husband and I have been going to the Sows Ear for both of our birthdays and our anniversary dinners for 5 years. We are always pleased. The gravel voiced host is always kind, the staff pleasant and the food great. We always start with the stuffed mushrooms and then order the fresh fish special and share dessert which is usually the cheesecake birthday slice and get our picture taken. Its romantic and with the fireplace is very cozy.

2 Thank hbscubagirl
valencia
“Blah”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2006

I hate to eat in the dark and the food is not that great. I had Pot Roast but I could not see it. My wife a sea food combo that really ----ed.

3 Thank us66fan
Santa Barbara, ca
“Always delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2006

My husband and I went for our birthday dinners last week. This was my 7th or 8th time and my husbands 1st. The ambiance is great, the wine list very accommodating and the food is always superb. Nothing fancy - actually quite plain - but prepared to perfection. Yes, you do run a risk of them running out of some items - everything is made fresh and if you are in fear of lack of selection go early. My husband and I are big foodies and we both would suggest this restaurant to any other foodie we know. Go and ENJOY!

3 Thank goodtipper