“The steak tasted like a sows ear or the hoof!”
Review of The Sow's Ear Cafe

The Sow's Ear Cafe
Ranked #11 of 47 Restaurants in Cambria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Camarillo, California
“The steak tasted like a sows ear or the hoof!”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

So very disappointed in the steak we were served - ordered rare and it arrived tough and riddled with gristle. When we let the server know she did offer to replace it but the meal was already nearly over. It would have made a difference if the manager had come out instead of dumping the problem on the server. It would also have been classy if they had simply not charged for the meal but none of that happened. The best thing about this place was the fireplace. The staff needs to be trained not to call grown women sweetie. Two ears down.

1 Thank epohl57

Yucca Valley, California
“Great value”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The clerk at the hotel we were staying at recommened this as a place to eat. My wife had the fresh salmon with citrus balsamic glaze and I had the chicken with a peach glaze both meals were fantastic. The meals also came with fresh bread and a choice of soup or salad. We both had the salad which was made fresh along with their dressings. I had the lime and honey vinegarette and my wife had the blue cheese buttermilk dressing. The service was good, They get busy so make reservations ahead of time.

Visalia, California
“Ok”
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Menu is small and spread out for cuisine. Maybe I don't have refined taste but for $17.00 to $30 I expect something special. I wasn't blown away or was it anything wowing me either. I would not eat here again because of price. I don't think the food warrants. $20 a plate. The decor was ok but I'm a dude and fashion isn't my thing - so I won't hate on it.

Laguna Niguel, California
“ONLY Saved by Dessert.”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

In a word, Decent overall...(wait that's 2 words)

It's not exceptional at much.

Our shrimp scampi was pretty good at least except able.
And the steak was extremely poor - largely because of the kitchen.
There version of med-rare steak: is charred out side and appropriate pink inside.
I dont care how proper the meat is cooked on the inside when the outside is one big black carcinogenic piece of tar..
I couldn't believe they would even bring it out of the kitchen to serve.
My wife had the catfish & as over cooked as it was it may as well been chicken inside the breading...
~~
Im guessing they have an outside party provide their desserts.
As both of ours where great! -
The "Olallieberry Granita" dessert - is an amazing, refreshing and almost a new experience of a dessert -
I'd stop back in for this dessert, if only for the dessert.
The Bread pudding was also very good!
~~
Summary:
SKIP eating the main meal here -
It's quality and menu are rapidly deteriorating.
But do walk in for dessert from another restaurant in the area!
~

Visited February 2014
“Short ribs and granita - To Die For”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Once upon a time, I was trained to cook at The French Culinary Institute in New York City, and I went on to chef at highest rated Zagat restaurants and a Five Star Five Diamond establishment whose beef short ribs pale in comparison to those at The Sow's Ear. They were pure and perfect. I would die for the short rib recipe and the one for the olallie berry granita recipe (I asked. No luck!).

If you're in Cambria, you have to try The Sow's Ear. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited February 2014