“Superb”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2007

We went to the Sow's Ear based on internet reviews. Superb choice! We started with the Fried Brie appetizer. My wife ordered Chicken and Dumplings and I had the Strouganoff. All of it was great. The French-country ambiance with open beams and a stone fireplace can really set the mood. Service was attentive and extremely helpful. The truth is, there are many great places to dine and stay in Cambria. Just make sure you choose the Sow's Ear for one of your dining nights. We run a travel website and will be adding them as a recommendation. Also consider an after-dinner play at the Pewter Plough Playhouse or a walk on the seaside boardwalk along Moonstone Drive.

2  Thank carevealed

Reviewed October 8, 2007

my husband and i ate here last weekend and felt our money would've been better spent to light $70 on fire. i ordered the kobe top sirloin w/coffee. given the fact that they labeled the steak as kobe i expected it to be very tender. not only was the steak rubbery, but it tasted like burnt coffee and was not prepared the way i requested (i asked for medium and received well done). steak number 2 was no better (came rare instead of medium). i guess the cook has no idea how to cook red meat! My husband ordered the braised short ribs (should be listed as a braised short rib, singular, since it was only one with such a small amount meat ; he expected more food for $22). Don't eat here....try robins or cambria pines lodge

3  Thank ihavewanderlust
Reviewed April 19, 2007

My sisters & I had a terrific meal here. There are 3 dark wood but homey dining rooms decorated with plants, photos, art work & pigs. Reservations are probably needed for the front, lighter room. The excellent service is friendly & attentive without hovering. Wine is available but no beer or cocktails. They have early bird specials with slightly smaller but still generous portions @ a lower price ~$15 or less which includes soup or salad & fresh bread baked in a clay flower pot. I had a good creamy broccoli soup. One sister had the mixed greeen salad. She had several choices of fresh unique dressings to pick from & tried the citrus honey vinaigrette which was very good...a hint of cumin? My balsamic citrus grilled salmon with wild rice pilaf was very good. One sister had peach chicken that was good but the highlight was my other sister's Chicken Almondine Fettucine. Rich, creamy with generous amounts of chicken & the subtle hint of an herb...basil? Every bite was as good as the 1st. All entrees were served with fresh mixed vegetables. The topper was a slice of chocolate cheese cake & the BEST fudge sauce I have ever had! Strong praise from a chocaholic!

4  Thank wildflowerHiker
Reviewed March 14, 2007

This is a good place! The restaurant seems a little dark, but who cares because we had a great dinner. My mahi mahi was good and my wife's macaroni and cheese (it is really chicken, sausage, three cheeses with penne pasta) was sensational. Memorably good. I was also intrigued by the chicken fried steak as the owner said it was his most popular dish. I should have order it instead of the fish special.Good service on a crowded night.

3  Thank GalvestonJT
Reviewed November 7, 2006

I was so excited to go to the Sow's Ear! We waiting for our anniversary night to try this place and had made reservations about a month ago, we were so excited to try it out. When we first arrived we were seated up front kinda close to the bug front window at a very tiny table jammed in between 2 other tables. The ladies sitting behind our table were VERY loud!!! So loud I couldn't even hear my husband talking about the menu and he was 2 feet away from me!! This wasn't the Sow's problem of course, but I was so uncomfortable that I couldn't even stand it. My husband asked to be moved and they accommodated us very quickly which was very nice!!! I was impressed by how fast and kind they were about moving us! I did appreciate that! Our server was very nice! We started with the mushroom's and the fried brie. I think the brie was very unique and tasty! Loved it! My husband had the chicken and dumplings which the server said was their #2 top seller (I wasn't impressed when I tried it!) I had the macadamia crusted halibut which was good but nothing over the top. Be careful if you don't like nuts! They seems to love nuts and put them on a lot of their dishes and LOTS of them! Even for me and I am a total nut lover. For dessert we had pumpkin cheesecake which was homemade and yummy, I've had better though. Overall I would say I was disappointed. It was more of a "home cooked" menu! Their #1 seller was chicken fried steak! And we are not food snobs at all! We enjoy regular family restaurants all the time! I was just expecting something different, something nicer and more romantic. I would STRONGLY suggest a romantic dinner at Brambles WAY over the Sow's Ear! Eat at Brambles for your special occasions and at Sow's for just a nice dinner! :-)

5  Thank thedenton's