“You should have stayed there when....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moonstone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambria
Moonstone Inn
Ranked #22 of 25 Cambria B&B and Inns
Banning, California
“You should have stayed there when....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

In late 1983, I use to get away, or should say run away on weekends at least three times a year right from work on Fridays. One year I decided to drive down this street named Moonstone, having seen it many times before I reached Hearst Castle. It was late when I saw some lights on in the office and went in. There was this charming elderly lady and gentleman, they were getting ready to close up for the day. They really made me feel welcome, I was amazed by all the pictures all over the walls from very important people, movie stars, senators, all signed. I stayed in the lower left corner room with a cornered stone fireplace, the gentleman went ahead while I checked in and started up the fireplace. Once in my room, I noticed that all the furniture was French antique. The entire room smelled of fresh linen, I took my shower and went to sleep. Since I didn't put the privacy sign on my door, like clock work, the elderly gentleman knocked on my door with this English Silver service set the like I've never seen before. Hot coffee, fresh home made bisuits, with local preserves and honey, the labels had the names of local stores in Cambria. Some fresh fruit in a bowl, real cream and sugar, the flatware was sterling, the dishes were real bone china. Wow, was I impressed! I ended up staying there all weekend. I took walks up and down the beach, the sand consisted of tiny black pebbles, I'd never seen that before. I fell asleep late that first afternoon, when there was a knock on the door, this time the elderly lady accompanied the gentleman. They actually brought me dinner, The entire silver service, with tea, stemware and pitcher by Lalique. I found out she lived in the house behind the Inn. A baked potatoe with all the trimings, asparagus with garlic and onions, Venison steak, a salad and a baked apple pastry. Mmmmmm, that was something one never forgets. I continued to visit and stay there for several years and no I didn't get dinner every time, just once in a while.
Late 1991, I visited, after staying away for at least 3 years. There was this younger gentleman, not at all like the elderly gentleman and lady. The office looked unkept, smelled of cigarette, the windows were dirty. As I walked to my room I noticed that I was the only one there, in fact I was alone all weekend. I asked the gentleman about the owner, he said she had passed away. I felt so bad for not having gone before. It was the last time I stayed. My old room was musty smelling, bathroom looked unsanitary, the whole place had this saddness about it. I stayed that night and moved on the next day to a place near Hearst Castle. I am writing this so you will know it used to be a beautiful place, old, warm and charming and very shiny clean from top to bottom. I read all your comments and remembered how nice it used to be, I feel sorry that you did not have the same experience I did once upon a time......

• Stayed February 2006, traveled solo
11 Thank Stella0001

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

Well, I can see things haven't gotten better in a year (the last review). We were the only ones staying here, I guess that should have been a clue. We got a fairly good rate at this motel and the man who checked us in (I think the owner) said it was his best room. Wow, the other rooms must be really bad. It was dirty, carpet was really stained, there was a pair of dirty sox in the drawer, which tells me there is no housekeeping, the bathroom floor was not clean, the shower rod was a temporary one, the heater in the bathroom was full of dust. Gross, gross, gross. There was no breakfast offered, as claimed in the website, but that is just as well, I couldn't have eaten it anyway.

There are lots of other places on Moonstone Beach that appear much nicer.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank callan1034

Travelers are raving about these Cambria hotels

Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

DO NOT STAY HERE! Its simply awful. There are so many good hotels on Moonstone and on the Central Coast. The lady at the desk is a miserable host and doesn't like Europeans or any visitors for that matter.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrobins11
Gilroy, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed one night and the views were good, the location awesome, but the room felt like a night at Grandmas. Older furnishings, seemed a little dusty. Broken curtains!
The perks were fresh baked cookies, a tray with breakfast delivered in the morning, the spa, and the price.
The dissapointments were the crotchity older lady in the office, the kindy dingy room and the useless coupons they provide upon check-in.
Will have to go back and check out other places...

• Liked — the sound of the ocean
  • Disliked — the problems
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rdchiona
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Where do I even start??? This place was one of the worst experiences of my life. There are so many negatives to it that I do not even know where to start. My husband had driven all day and needed somewhere to stay and following the advice of the Lonely Planet that Moonstone Beach was a good place to stay we headed in that direction. We passed The Moonstone Inn and from the outside it looks like the most quaint little place that you could find overlooking the beach. HOW WRONG WE WERE!!!!! We should have been alerted by the fact that the woman on reception had absolutely no customer service skills but I can cope with that -I come from Britain after all. When commenting on the local wildlife in the area she stated that they had seagulls and some other birds!!Hardly a rare species!!!She made no mention of the existence of large numbers of pelicans or the very rare elephant sea colony 8 miles north.

The room!!!!It was like something out of the 50's. I can cope with things being old but I cannot cope with them being dirty and broken. The carpet was the dirtiest thing that I have ever seen. It appeared to have old oil stains all over it . I had to wear my shoes at all times. I looked in the bed and there were hairs on the bedclothes- I think that the bed had been slept in before and not laundered. The bathroom was ok except there was soap stains on the bath obviously from the last occupants and the window in the bathroon was broken and did not close properly. The front door had a piece of wood missing from the bottom of it and it looked like the door had been either kicked in or out. The inside of the door was meant to be white but you could hardly tell as it was so dirty.

The breakfast the next morning appeared to be ok but I could not bring myself to eat it because I kept wondering if it was as dirty as the rest of the motel. I have learnt a valuable lesson from this experience-ask to see the room. I actually think that I will never get over how dirty this was and that the owners run an establishment like this. We stayed there because on the outside of the motel there was an AAA sign-I even question that and will be informing them as I can' t understand why they would want to be associated with an establishment like this. The only thing that I can do for you all is inform and hope that no-one ever stays there again!!Maybe the owners will stand up and take customer's feelings on board!

• Liked — nothing!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — The dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Herbiegoesbananas
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

A cute place on the outside, but beware when you enter their guest rooms. The rooms are so outdated and dirty, even the wall hangings are clumped with dust (see my pictures for proof). This is one of those places that you need to bring your own sheets and pillows. When we removed the sheets to check it there were hairs in the bed. Obviously they hadn't been washed in a while. There was no way we were going to sleep under the sheets- so gross! My husband and I slept in our jeans and sweatshirts with bath towels on top of the bed. To give the motel some credit the plain bathrooms seem to be remodeled and their "complimentary" breakfasts served to your room every morning aren't too bad. But may I suggest to go someplace else!

• Liked — the breakfast in the morning
  • Disliked — dirty bed
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2008

My husband booked us a room at Moonstone Inn after viewing it on the internet. The moment we pulled into the driveway, we knew it wasn't going to be what it was advertised as. We had one of those 2nd story rooms with ocean view (by the way, there are only 2 such rooms), but the lady at the desk warned us not to get to close to the railing as it needed repair -- that was an understatement, 1/2 of it was missing! The door to our room looked like someone had tried to kick it down. Going inside didn't get any better, it was dingy, the carpet was badly stained and dirty, and the painted over wallpaper was peeling away from the wall heater. No fireplace, the TV was old, the remote was taped together, and inspite of having cable, there were stations we couldn't get. The bathroom wasn't any better. The robes have certainly been around for a while, they were so stiff that I had no desire to use one. The towels were dingy and thin. Then there was black mold or mildew around the edges of the ceiling and the window. Taking a shower was a major feat as it took some real doing to figure out which way to turn the faucets to get the right temperature of water. When I finally got it right, all of a sudden the water pressure dropped and all I got was a cold trickle. Breakfast was okay if you like warmed up Costco muffins, but the delivery to your door on a silver tray was a nice touch and the hot chocolate was very good. We had planned on staying for 3 days, but checked out that morning and found a much nicer hotel down the street that was $15.00 less a night. Lesson learned, next time we'll do a bit more homework.

• Liked — Breakfast was okay
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple