“Ho hum”
Review of The Rigdon House

The Rigdon House
Ranked #9 of 23 Cambria B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Despite the glowing reviews we read online, and the truly welcoming and lovely manager of the property, this place was a bit depressing. We paid for the room with the jacuzzi bath - and so, apparently, did other people. Anytime our neighbors used the tub/shower/jacuzzi, we could hear it blast through our room. There was zero sound insulation.And I mean zero - at times it sounded like a jet taking off - for an entire hour! The room(s) - it was a suite - was clean, but not exactly updated. This wasn't the gem I thought it would be. There was a complementary glass of wine every afternoon, but nothing for children - some lemonade might have been nice. they did have an extensive, albeit ancient, video and dvd collection. The breakfast was exactly the same every day - it was fine, but again, nothing special. This would have been a perfectly fine stopover for a night, but not for a family vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank drivingmisssarah

Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I admit that I read the reviews and didn't want to believe the bad ones, but found they held some truth. From the road, you want to love this place - it looks charming and is located convenient to downtown. You want it to be charming, but it is not. Room 12 was roomy, but 1) it was extremely plain (but clean) and 2) the bathroom was awfully dated. The breakfast was good (contrary to other reviews) but the breakfast table we sat in had a view of a dumpy back/side yard, complete with rodent killer and home depot orange buckets on display. The inn just seems to miss the mark and needs to put some time and effort into the little things. Add some flair, make it warmer, be friendlier and inviting - I'm rooting for you.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Chuck01089
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Loving the central coast of CA, my wife and I decided Cambria was a perfect, quick honeymoon. We have stayed at the Burton Inn in the past and had no question that it would be the place to stay during our short stay in Cambria.

This is why the Burton Inn is a great place to stay:
-Very nice and delightful owner.
-Located in town, adjacent to shops.
-Wine in the evenings in the library!
-Walk to great restaurants. (walk back to the room after a filling dinner with some nice central coast wine is a plus in my book.)
-Comfortable bed.
-Yummy breakfast!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My teenage son and I stayed here to visit the area on a very expensive Bloomspot deal. First, the lady who runs the place is, in fact, very friendly and nice but the positive experience with this inn ends there.

The good, the bad, the ugly:

The location is nice and quiet, easy parking, guests can walk to nearby shops and restaurants. The town is very easy to get around, no GPS needed here.

When we arrived at our room, #16, and opened the door I was blown over by the smell of Pinesol, which to me is THE MOST VILE smell on earth. Once I got past that and we entered the room I was shocked. The suite is shaped such that the three small windows in the front adjacent to the door provide the only natural light and it is quite large so as you descend into the rooms it is almost cave-like. The ceiling fixture had a glaring cold bluish fluorescent bulb in the fixture and even my son balked at it (I'm all for energy efficiency but cool white has no place in an inn - savvy decorators would know to choose a warm bulb.) The carpet was cheap and stained in many areas. The door handle was loose on the front door and nearly coming away from the wood. The furniture was cheap, seriously dated, and the chairs around the table were mismatched and heavily worn. The furniture arrangement was uninviting and even my son announced it was "sparsely decorated." Against a wall in the living room was a mini fridge and microwave. The smallish TV was placed such that it could not be viewed very comfortably from the one chair and sofa.

The two queen beds are behind the wall off the living room but the arrangement is again odd. They are side by side so that leaves just the one opposite wall for the armoire with the TV and the double dresser right next to each other, which looks really wrong. The beds were nicely made and the sheets were clean with a pleasant light bleach scent. We found the beds to be very comfortable, a bit on the soft side, and the pillows were nice.

As another reviewer stated, the coffee maker is on the bathroom vanity but there were no coffee cups in the room. There are no amenities beyond the industrial shared dispenser in the dated jacuzzi tub. When we arrived I noticed that the glasses on the vanity were dirty - one had a brown stain in the bottom as if it had been used for coffee, and the other had a crispy smear on the outside of it. The little paper thingys that go under the glasses were dirty and stained so I threw them out and placed the dirty glasses on the table in the living room for the maid for the next day. There was some male hair about the vanity which was hard to notice because of the color of it but I discovered it on my things as I set up for our stay and had to wipe it away into the sink.

Here's where things go really wrong. That first night, before bed, we found an enormous spider in the room. When I went to kill it with my shoe and got close enough to strike I realized it was too big to kill - we joked and said it was seriously the size of a small dog. After a moment of panic we placed a glass over it and decided to let the maid deal with it with a vacuum cleaner the next day rather than face it ourselves.

The guests above us had a small child who was running around and it was so disturbing we banged the ceiling a few times. When they ran the water for the bath it was like a freight train over our heads. On night two a large adult made a lot of noise just moving about normally.

Now back to what went seriously wrong. On day two, after spending the day exploring we came back to our room and the spider was still under the glass in the living room even though the beds had been made (apparently they thought it was our new pet), but, wait for it - the soiled paper thingys that I had thrown in the TRASH CAN were back under the same glasses that had still not been run through a dishwasher. In the refrigerator we did find several clean glasses but the one that we had used that had had a toothpaste smear on it from that morning was still sporting the smear even though we had plainly left it out for housekeeping. The coffee stain was still in the bottom of the other glass. So they took the paper thingys from the trash, which had soiled Kleenex's, hair from my brush, and the usual bathroom detritus and put them back under the never been cleaned between guests glasses!

Upon these discoveries I called the front desk, got no answer and left a message about an "unacceptable housekeeping issue." We never heard back. The breakfast was the usual continental fare. The wine was quite good but there were only peanuts both nights. The movie selection was surprisingly good.

Now if I had paid a fraction of what I paid I would not be ranting here, but to put this in perspective - we travel often and stay in some pretty luxurious places including the Inn on Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC, which is one of the most luxurious five star hotels in the United States - as an annual pass-holder, off-season, I paid significantly LESS there than what I paid at the Burton Inn.

This place was dismal and our housekeeping discovery was appalling. I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid room #16 at all costs!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BlackMountainDreamer
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We got our reservation for two evenings at the Burton Inn via Groupon - two nights PLUS a $50 gift certificate for dinner. Got there after working all day. Owner in the office, shared the history of the hotel with us. Slept in a HUGE room with a small kitchenette. Large bathroom. Slept like a log that evening. Next evening took advantage of both the wine tasting in a sitting room and our $50 gift certificate for dinner. Visited with others at the wine tasting. Dinner was fantastic.
Breakfast was more than adequate, however, we could not figure out why the offer pie for breakfast. Home cooked pastries were outstanding.
Very close to downtown Cambria. Most everything within walking distance.

Room Tip: get an upstairs room. a little noise comes through from the upstairs if you are in a downstairs roo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The owner of this establishment is the problem. She was curt and non-responsive to our calls for help. Ordinarily this would be a non-issue for us, but this time we had a real problem. We arrived at 1:00 and bumped into her in the parking lot as she was getting into her car to leave. Without introduction, she asked who we were and told us that check-in time is 3:00 and to come back then, which we did. When we came back she handed us our room key and that's it. Okay fine, we aren't looking for a friend, just information about our lodging and breakfast, which we never got.

Here is the real problem...When we settled in for the evening the people staying upstairs started arguing. The man started swearing loud and slinging the f... word with every other breath. This started at about 9:30 and we ignored it until it seemed to really get physical at about 11:00. I tried to call the office, but a recording said the office closes at 8:00 p.m. and was closed until 8:00 a.m. The recording said that I could leave a message and 'someone on call would call me back'. I did leave a message and waited for the call back - no call back. The man got louder and was stomping his feet in anger and the woman began crying - again I called the office because the fighting was accelerating. No response from the office at all. We were up most of the night. At 7:45 the next morning my husband went to the office and looked around for the owner or any evidence of breakfast - none. He dropped the key and we left, never to return again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PegaLen
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Inept and inconsiderate are the words to describe my experience with the Burton Inn.
Currently I am looking for another place in Cambria to stay for our upcoming Anniversary, due to the fact the Burton Inn failed to make my reservation, after I personally had booked with the owner! After calling back in 2 weeks to inquire why we had not received our letter of confirmation, the owner had no such reservation! She then offered other dates for us, then when I called back after rearranging our busy schedule - she had already booked it, without contacting me first! When I asked why, she said "I did not think you wanted it". She then proceeded to encourage us to come in Sept/October when it's most beautiful there. She offered no appology, or assistance to find a solution for her error and inconvenience she has caused us. That disapoints me the most.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple