“Disapointed”

Ranked #8 of 24 Cambria B&B and Inns
Redwood City, California
“Disapointed”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Inept and inconsiderate are the words to describe my experience with the Burton Inn.
Currently I am looking for another place in Cambria to stay for our upcoming Anniversary, due to the fact the Burton Inn failed to make my reservation, after I personally had booked with the owner! After calling back in 2 weeks to inquire why we had not received our letter of confirmation, the owner had no such reservation! She then offered other dates for us, then when I called back after rearranging our busy schedule - she had already booked it, without contacting me first! When I asked why, she said "I did not think you wanted it". She then proceeded to encourage us to come in Sept/October when it's most beautiful there. She offered no appology, or assistance to find a solution for her error and inconvenience she has caused us. That disapoints me the most.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leahann C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We had an enjoyable two night stay at the Burton Inn. The room was huge. I loved that it had a separate living room. The bed was so comfortable...that is not always the case when you stay at any hotel. We had the pleasure of enjoying wine and cheese hour with the owner. It's nice to sit and know more about this wonderful place called Cambria! Maria was a delight and she made sure everything was in order down to our breakfast. I loved that everything we needed was walking distance. A must...Lynn's Bakery, Sows Ear for dinner. I guarantee you will love your stay at Burton Inn. Thank you for your great hospitality!! We will be back!!

• Stayed May 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I was really pleasantly surprised at this place. My husband and I went there for the Memorial Day holiday weekend. We had never stayed at a B&B before and honestly, just picked this place because A) the reviews here were good and B) it wasn't booked up yet. Such a great decision that was. We stayed in room 15 and it was large and clean. The bed was VERY comfortable. Terry was more than accomodating and even offered complimentary breakfast to us even though it wasn't included with our booking through Expedia. Which - the breakfast was great. Fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, oatmeal, eggs, coffee, OJ, milk, etc. If you book here - book directly through their website. Sites like Expedia charge them a booking fee and I'd rather my money go directly to the Inn. Hindsight...

The location of the hotel is fantastic. It's right in the heart of the East Village and within walking distance to many restaurants & shops.

To me, the best part of this place was the way it felt very personal. Terry talked to us for over an hour - just about our lives and theirs - and she gave lots of recommendations and even let us play with their pups, Sophie & Bo. I can't say enough good things about this place. If we take another trip to Cambria - this will defintiely be our hotel of choice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed here many times over several years. I love this place-big big rooms, little kitchenettes (perfect to store your leftovers for a late night snack), walking distance to restaurants and shops, and really friendly innkeepers to give their expert advice on the best local places. Wine hour and breakfast included...their old fashioned oatmeal is my husband's favorite. It's a 2 minute drive down to Moonstone beach boardwalk, tide pools, & cafes.

• Stayed April 2012
brisbane
Reviewed March 19, 2012

After a day of driving along highway 1 through Big Sur, it was great to find myself in a huge room, with separate living area. The room was very well appointed (even if some electrical items were a little aged). For a reasonable price I was very impressed. Lovely town also, just south of the emperor seal colony and Hearst Castle.

Room Tip: I had room 15, and it was huge for 1 or 2 people - separate living area.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at the Burton Inn in Cambria. We went with a group a friends who had arranged to occupy all the rooms of Burton Inn for this Group Getaway. Burton Inn was the perfect place for us to stay. Located just off Main St. in the East Village of Cambria, it was easy to walk to shops and restaurants whenever we chose. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Terry, the proprietor, went out of her to way to make our stay enjoyable and by the last day we all felt like we were leaving a close friend. Each morning we had a delicious breakfast...delicious scones, bread, muffins, fresh fruit, wonderful oatmeal, juices, coffee and scrambled eggs prepared us with the energy needed to head out for our day's activities of hiking on the beach and bluffs. Each evening we came home to a Social Hour of sipping local wines and a few nibblies.
Terry made recommendations for activities and restaurants. There is a nice parking lot alongside the Inn for easy parking. The wi-fi was fast and reliable. Each room had a small refrigerator, microwave, TV. Our room was located on the backside of the Inn so we did not have any street noise. Some said they could hear the delivery trucks coming into town if they were on the front of the inn. We would not hesitate to recommend this location and would certainly return again.

Room Tip: There are two buildings...the newer building has two room suites that were very spacious. Back rooms...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank signora2
El Segundo, California
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We have been traveling to the Central Coast on business for a few years now and Terry & Jim always magically transform these trips into mini vacations. From the moment we walk in the door we feel welcomed and relaxed. The rooms are all large, comfortable and well appointed. The towels are big and fluffy, the beds are dreamy and the water pressure is awesome(very important to us). They have a wonderful employee, Maria, whom we also look forward to visiting with. She makes a great breakfast and always has a cheery smile. There are also some unexpected treats here....social hour in the drawing room starts around 5PM. Guests gather and share their experiences along with some local wine and nibbles. We've met folks from around the world here and always come away with wonderful stories. The location of the Inn, the East Village, affords us an opportunity to step back in time. It's an historic neighborhood and lends itself to wonderfully restored buildings, great shopping and our favorite restaurant....Robin's. If you haven't dined at Robins you are definitely missing something special. We sometimes eat lunch AND dinner there on the same day. Yes, it's that good! The Burton Inn is our kind of place. We cant wait for our next visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business