“California Central Coast Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sand Pebbles Inn

Sand Pebbles Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
“California Central Coast Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Sand Pebbles Inn in Cambria, CA, where we celebrated our 5th Anniversary, and this little gem exceeded all expectations.

The location is perfect as it is situated directly across the street (very light traffic) from gorgeous Moonstone Beach. The Inn is clean inside and out, and the staff was extremely friendly. We always felt taken care of, and we were treated as if we had been friends for a long time. There is plenty of parking. They have board games available in the reception area (no charge), as well as cold water and newspapers.

Our room, #214, is considered a partial ocean view, but we were pleasantly surprised by the row of windows giving us an exceptional view up Moonstone Beach (you can see the waves coming in while lying in bed). The building next door is low, so it doesn't block the view. There is a completely covered trash bin outside (in its own little building), but it was never an eyesore since the room is on the second floor. The room has a very comfy king size canopy bed as well as a gas fireplace. The heater worked exceptionally well for the cool night. The bathroom was clean, had plenty of counter space with all the typical amenities, and the water pressure in the shower was great. There was also a small microwave in the room, a small closet and an armoire with TV inside. There was a small, round table in the room as well with two chairs next to the window where we enjoyed some wine and cheese when we arrived, and our morning breakfast the next day. Speaking of which, breakfast (included) had the basics (milk, juice, coffee, fruit, yogurt, cereal, hard boiled eggs and fresh waffles made to order). There are small tables in the hallway for eating on, but we took our meal up to our room in order to enjoy the view while we ate.

Directly in front of the Inn is Moonstone Beach. It's all of a 10 steps away across Moonstone Beach Drive. The beach itself is situated about 25 feet below street level, and there are plenty of stairs to get down to it. For those who prefer a picturesque walk, there is a boardwalk that runs along above the beach (at street level), and it is not strenuous at all. Plenty of picture opportunities.

The town of Cambria (west) is a mile away (1-2 minutes by car), and there are plenty of little shops and restaurants to enjoy. We ate at Madeline's, and the food and service were outstanding. We also enjoyed some wine tasting at the Moonstone tasting room. There is a Cambria (east) about another mile up the main street, and it has lots more shops to explore. We had lunch at The Black Cat, which is a hip, little cafe serving excellent food.

If you are looking for excellent accommodations in a beautiful setting then you won't be disappointed. We weren't, and when it comes to an anniversary (guys) you want your wife to be happy and comfortable. We would definitely return to the Sand Pebbles Inn our next time up the California coast.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, Cambria is about a 20 minute drive away from Paso Robles (very beautiful drive on Hwy 46) where there are numerous wineries to enjoy. Our favorite is Bella Luna (in Templeton).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YOPP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed at the Sand Pebbles Inn during a weekend getaway to tour Hearst Castle, where I met my sister and her husband. I had not been to that part of the California coast before, so was really unfamiliar with lodging options and the like. Based on reviews, we took a chance on rooms at the inn, and were pleasantly surprised.

The inn is located in an area that is primarily residential in nature, though in a stretch where several small inns are sited. Immediately across the street was a wooden walkway along the short cliff overlooking the ocean. So it is in an ideal location for those who love to be close to the ocean.

My first impression upon arriving was that the customer service was excellent. The staff was very friendly, and - likely because of the small number of rooms - were attentive to each guest. The gentleman who checked me in knew that my sister and her husband had checked in before me, and had placed us in nearby rooms. He also walked me to my room, took a moment to show me how the heating units and such worked, and ensured that I was satisfied with the room and its cleanliness.

The room itself was cozy and very comfortable. There was a small amount of wear in the carpets and on some of the fixtures, but everything was in good working order and exceedingly clean. That remained the same throughout the stay. The room I stayed in had a queen bed. The bathroom was quite large, and featured a jacuzzi-style tub and massage-type shower. There was a microwave and coffeemaker in the room (with excellent coffee provided for brewing). There was a wall-mounted heater and electric "fireplace", as well as a ceiling fan for heating and cooling. The windows were also easy to open to allow the marine air to circulate through the room.

Even though I was on the first floor, and the main set of windows was level with the parking/driveway, it was exceedingly quiet throughout the length of my stay - no matter if it was day or night. So it was quite relaxing to be able to fall asleep to the sound of the surf across the street.

There was a basic continental breakfast provided in what the staff referred to as the "tea room". Fruit, waffles, yogurt, eggs, and a few other items made up the basic options, so it was a good start to the day.

Parking was a little bit compact - a few diagonal spaces were available near the lobby, while parallel parking ringed two sides of the inn - but is was easy to get in and out.

In terms of price, the room rates were perhaps a tad on the high end. They did offer AAA rates, so there was some value in comparison to other lodging in the immediate area.

All in all, the Sand Pebbles Inn was a very nice place to stay. I would definitely stay there again if I return to the area. The only items that keep me from rating this a full 5-out-of-5 is the value and rooms, and that is only because I am unsure whether all travelers would be comfortable with the room rates and the rooms themselves. However, judging from previous reviews and my own experience, I think that the majority of travelers would be as pleased with their stay as I was.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Generic90
Tracy, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

We only stayed one night but it was a very nice, relaxing stay. The staff was welcoming and helpful and ocean view room was very comfortable, and you can't beat the view. We were lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. We are looking forward to coming back sometime soon.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rmkahn
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

We arrived late in the afternoon at the Sand Pebbles Inn. We were greeted with nice staff, and he showed us around and told us what was in our room. We asked him about any good restaurants and he told us of a few places. We tried the Cavalier Cafe down the road at the Best Western. It was very good. We got back to our room and fell asleep very quick because of the calming sound of the beautiful ocean. The next morning we had to go and it was hard because it was a very nice stay!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank 11FloorHotel
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2010

I recently stayed at San Pebbles Inn after reading all the positive review comments; my daughter and I were very pleased with our choice. We had the partial ocean King room and it was better than I expected. This hotel is 50 yards or less from the ocean. After walking along Moonstone Beach drive, I think San Pebbles Inn has one of the best location. This Inn has interior hallway and it feels more like home than hotel. The breakfast room is like going down to your own kitchen to get your morning coffee and breakfast. We brought the breakfast plate back to our room and enjoyed the ocean view while eating breakfast. The collection of the DVDs was definitely a nice thing. We watched movies both nights of our stay. The staffs were very friendly. We really enjoyed our stay and hope to come back in a not so distant future.

• Stayed December 2009
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed here 1 night on our drive up the California coast. While the room was on the small side, it was nicely decorated and the fireplace in the room was nice. The kids also appreciated the homemade cookies that were left on their pillows. Breakfast the next morning was very nice and included freshly made waffles, cereals, fruits, yogurts and pastries. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

I took my mother here for her 70th Birthday the week of October 28th, 2009. The room was everything I'd hoped for, with fantastic views of the ocean and the northern cliffs. On my mother's birthday the staff even brought her a birthday cake to the room while we were out sight seeing, which was very touching and way and above my expectations. Every one of the staff was friendly and always happy to see you, ready to tend to your any need. We ended up eating the breakfast buffet every morning, which was just perfect for us. This was a place that made my memory with my mom a life time event which I'll hold in my heart forever; thank you!

• Stayed October 2009