“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Berlin
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We where driving down from San Francisco back to Newport and wanted to make a stop for the kids, since it is such a long drive. We booked the Sand Pebbles Inn and we did not regret it.
The whole village is really cute and it IS a real beautiful place on the ocean.
It feels like vacation, it is vacation. The stuff was very friendly, the rooms are fairly large, they have a nice light and you just have to cross the street and you can walk on the ocean. i did my morning run there and it was ver beautiful.
The breakfast room is in the basement, I think they should offer and outdoor area as a second option. The breakfast was ok, the service really nice.
I like the complementary tea and coffee in the little lobby, and the bench on front of the lobby.
Even it is a small hotel and our kids where quiet noisy the night we arrived, everybody was really friendly and patient. I would stay there again.
Style wise they could do better and a renovation is needed in the coming years - its definitely not a four start hotel - the location, the service and the whole atmosphere are great.
So, again - for that price it is a really nice spot, but more on the expensive side if you consider the interior, breakfast etc. I would still stay there again.
Oh, and definitely make a reservation at the Sea Chest Restaurant & Oyster, BUT NOT AT THE The Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill, ITS ONE OF THE WORST PLACES I EVER DINNED!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked a King Oceanfront room on the first floor for 2 nights for my visit to Hearst Castle. When I arrived, the staff was friendly and directed me where to park, how to get to my room, and the breakfast hours. I was very happy with the comfort level/cleanliness of the room and especially thrilled with the view. Of my patio/open door: I enjoyed watching a sunset, watching the sunrise light hit the wave and hill tops, people-watching - folks (and dogs) walking the Moonstone Beach boardwalk, sipping my hot coffee wrapped in a wool blanket (December), and listening to the waves anytime I wanted - which was often! The Inn is set slightly up and back from the street which gave it a better view than I expected of a 1st floor room and I didn't feel intruded on if someone walked by on the street. Of my room: On the second day it rained a lot, but thanks to my room, I enjoyed reading by the gas fireplace; after a very wet & windy tour of Hearst Castle - taking a hot bath in the big tub (first floor/oceanfront only I believe) with the provided bath salts, and sleeping in the cozy bed. My only constructive criticism is that I would have preferred more artwork on the walls, the 2 prints across from the fridge/microwave nook were nice, but that was it for the whole room. Of the breakfast: Nice continental options with the addition of fresh waffles. I didn't experience any noise from the breakfast room/ice machine as other reviewers have. Of the location: just perfect. As a solo gal, I felt very secure and comfortable here. And at check-out, again warm and friendly, staff asked me about my stay. Thank you Sand Pebbles, I will return.

Room Tip: If you like a patio with a fabulous unobstructed view and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, then ask fo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Sadly we only had one night at this hotel as it was lovely. The rooms were beautiful and the little touches like cookies in the room and having the fire lit when we arrived really enhanced our experience, the staff were friendly and the breakfast was of good quality. Stay here, you won't regret it!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Very nice clean room. Beautiful view! We enjoyed our stay, comfortable bed. The price was pretty much the same as other places in the area $240 per night. We weren't in one of the front rooms but still had an excellent view.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Sand Pebbles overnight in order to visit Hearst Castle. Room and breakfast were satisfactory however staff were very unhelpful regarding making a booking for Hearst Castle - told us to call the next day and of course tickets were then sold out. The staff member at reception the next morning was patronising and dismissive - he gave us two phone numbers for the castle, both of which were incorrect (one was the Lost and Found!). Would never stay at this hotel again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily M
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Where do I begin with this little gem. It's oceanfront property and about 15 minutes to Hearst Castle! The inn is not in town but there are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, along with a nice boardwalk right along the beach.

So for the room...
I was pleasantly surprised for four reasons- a small refrigerator, the above-average size of the room, a modern TV on a wall-mounted swivel, and the lovely gas fireplace. My room (no ocean view) was right next door to the reception desk. I found the staff to be very pleasant and it was nice to have coffee, tea, and cookies available. As a single female, I felt very safe and liked the fact that my room was only accessible through the interior of the inn. I had a great night's sleep and the room was very comfortable. If I'm in Cambria again, I will book here again.

I cannot comment on the continental breakfast as I did not take advantage of that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I rely on tripadvisor ratings quite a bit, but the one for this hotel and the hotel itself were quite disappointing. We stayed in a king bedroom on the second floor and it was tiny. I suppose that most of the other people who gave this hotel great reviews just came for the weekend with not much luggage, because there was no room to place luggage except in a small closet. There were no luggage racks no doubt because there was no place to put them. The bathroom was small and below a Best Western quality level. Our entire hot water sink faucet literally turned without turning on.

The location right across from the beach is good, but there seem to be loads of hotels and motels in the same area. And in the town of Cambria itself, there are many more. I keep wondering if Sand Pebbles is rated so highly on tripadvisor, what are all the other hotels in Cambria like? It is a frightening thought.

But a the right price, which would be something south of $90 a night, this place would probably be a cute "motel" to stay for a weekend visit.

Room Tip: Don't even think about getting a room on the first floor. The rooms with two beds on the second...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple