“It felt just like home”
Review of FogCatcher Inn

FogCatcher Inn
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed July 13, 2007

We just loved this place. It was nice and comfortable and after a six hour drive on Hwy 41 from Fresno we needed comfort. We checked in and within thirty min. were walking on the lovely boardwalk along the beach. There were tons of wild flowers and lots of flowers around the Inn's property. We went to the Moonstone Bar and Grill just three doors down from the Fog Catcher. It was pretty good food and the dining on the patio, overlooking the ocean can't be beat. The view from our rooms door was the beautiful sunset. While there we saw whales, dolphins tidepools with crabs and fish, squirrels, turkey vultures, and zebras, Yes, Zebras !. The breakfast is served in a wonderful room that will make you feel like your in a country kitchen. They offer a great variety of foods and everything was really tasty. We went to Hearst Castle, and then down into charming Cambria for lunch. We went to El Chorlito up the road in San Simeon. The food was excellent and our overall experience was really great. Our sixteen year old son had a blast.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 5, 2007

My wife, son and I at the last minute decided to drive up the coast of California from L.A. I called in the afternoon and they were very helpful in guaranteeing us a room for the night. I was told the room was a smaller room, but we were pleasantly surprised to see that there idea of a small room is much bigger than every big chain hotel we've ever stayed at. The room had two queen beds, which was perfect for us. Very comfortable with all the necessary amenities. A great view and the perfect balance of ocean breeze and sunlight. Free breakfast and minutes from hearst castle.

1  Thank jsho
Reviewed July 1, 2007

stayed a few nights this June. I asked for a garden side room and reservations person suggested a double queen room. It was spacious and beautiful- cathedral ceiling, fireplace, lovely yellow wallpaper that looked like hand stenciling, two comfortable upolstered chairs with ottoman in front of the fire place. Simple and tastefully decorated room. Hotel located on beachfront- across a small street and you are on a beautiful path (boardwalk) which spans length of gorgeous beach- with several overlooks along the way and wildflowers and grasses growing along the oceanfront. You can't beat the location!
PS- I peeked in a single king size room and considerably smaller than my double queen room. I am not sure paying extra for ocean front is worth it since the room I as in was garden side but just a step away from the door was a view of the ocean.If you go for ocean view- get a room on an upper level- the lower level room that I saw had windows right at street level.

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank lindaAlba
Reviewed June 30, 2007

Stayed at the Fogcatcher 06/18 and 06/19. Large room, larger than I had anticipated. There was a fireplace, refrigerator, microwave, very clean. The hotel is located just across the street from the beach. There is a very nice boardwalk there to walk. There is a pool and a hot tub.

The breakfast is more than continental. There is coffee, tea, juice, bagel, toast, pastries, cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and sausage, fresh fruit, and you can make your own waffles. We would get there early as it tended to get very crowded.

I was celebrating my 50th birthday and awaiting me was a complimentary bottle of wine.

The big thing that happened that was kind of a pain. The first night I put on the gas fireplace. I was sitting and watching TV and all of a sudden the glass on the front of the fireplace just exploded. There was glass everywhere. The lady came over from the office quickly and moved us to the honeymoon suite for that night and then the next night we had to move again as that suite was booked so we had to pick up and move a couple times. These things happen but they were very accomodating.

The town is very small and charming. We went to Lombardis for dinner in town one night. I heard the Sow's Ear was good but we did not make it there. We went to the grocery store, Cookie Cutter and got supplies.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dapmag3
Reviewed June 25, 2007

My extended family stayed here for 3 nights. Here is my feedback...
Hotel staff: The staff at the check-in was friendly and efficient. Our maid service was a bit spotty. One maid did a good job and another one did not even empty the trash!
Room: The rooms are nice and spacious. Each room has a little fridge and microwave which was useful with the kids. The fridge was a bit noisy in one of the rooms. The beds were comfortable, and bathrooms clean.
Location: Since the ocean/beach is across Moonstone Beach Dr, I was happy with my decision not to get a ocean view room. You are on the road to get the view and I would much rather have a cheaper, quieter room.
Restraurants: There are 2 places within walking distance - Sea Chest and Moonstone Bar & Grill. Both are expensive but nice. For more choice you have to drive to Cambria.
Breakfast, Swimming pool, etc: We thought the breakfast was good. They had good assortment that everyone in our group of 7 found something to eat. The swimming pool is small but clean. The hot tub is nice in the evenings. The kids had a good time.

Overall it was a good choice. I looked at all the 10-12 places on Moonstone Beach Dr and I was happy with our choice. Did not see anything else while we were there that we felt would have been better/nicer.

2  Thank With-rooted-husband
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Travelling with 3 cousins to see Hearst castle--we were very pleasantly surprised with the Fogcatcher Inn. We had booked over the internet & so didn't really know what we would find. The staff were very helpful & reccommended several must-sees. Our room was a cut above the average with a gas fireplace & high ceilings, the bathroom clean & big. The make-your-own waffle breakfast was another bonus. Lovely boardwalk on the ocean right across the street--we really lucked out on this place.

Reviewed June 17, 2007

Charming inn with beautiful views of the ocean. We had a very large sized room at the back of the property next to the pool. The room looked to be newly decorated and renovated. It was very clean and had very nice furnishings, including a fire place that served as a heater. The king bed was very comfy and had a really cozy washable comforter that served as the blanket. They have fresh cookies upon checkin. The breakfast in the morning was very complete and satisfactory. Our room was ready before the scheduled checkin time, which was a nice bonus. Don't park under the pine trees though, because they dripped sap all over my car. Also there was construction going on (as part of the renovation process I imagine). Overall, we were very happy with our stay, even though it was a little pricey. But I guess you have to shell it out if you want to stay across the street from the beach.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)