“FogCatcher Inn”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Riverside, California
“FogCatcher Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

Very nice little Inn on the Pacific....The rooms were quaint, cozy, fireplace with a view...the flowers aroung the Inn were beautiful...It as like a little village....We have been there several times....visiting Cambria..I consider it a couples village! strolling in & out of shops..wine tasting..then onto Hearst Castle..vineyards & strolling on the beach!

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
san luis obispo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

as i drove down the California coast with my wife, i realized that the life i was living was a joke, and nothing i had ever seen has compared to what the Fogcatcher has to offer. The ocean breeze has a scent of success with every breath you take. The people are warm and welcoming and i would have nothing else to say except that if you are traveling down highway 1 this summer, that the Fogcatcher Inn is a "must stay for at least a week" hotel. =]

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yeeeeee
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2010

This hotel was one of our favorites on our wine tasting tour. It had everything we needed to make our trip comfortable. we sat on our balcony with a bottle of complimentary wine, and wached the waves crash. it was unforgetable! we highly recommend this ocean front hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lsg42
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying here in the summer of 2006 and had a picture-perfect weekend. Back then the LA Times and Los Angeles magazines had given nods to the Fogcatcher Inn. I can't imagine them doing the same now. My wife and I were anxious to return, this time with a toddler and my parents. Unfortunately, we were disappointed with what we found. I can't be 100%, but I believe that the ownership may have changed hands since I don't recall my room card having the Best Western logo on it before.

Our room felt dated, almost as if no maintenance or updates had been done since our last stay in 2006 (with the exception of bed linens which felt fresh). The major problem is the bathrooms and their institutional and unclean feel with old tile and grout. Stains on walls, ripped wallpaper, and a dirty refrigerator rounded it out to leave us with an overall feel that we had spent more than we should have. There are many other properties bordering the Fogcatcher, and I imagine that the quality is comparable but with a lower price.

Service was very cordial and knowledgeable, and the beds were fantastic. There is still much to the charm of the Fogcatcher, and the beach access directly across the street is hard to beat. However, it's time to get some minor renovations underway. At these rates it is expected. I must add that my parents seemed to have no problems with their room except for the long initial time it took to warm it up - likely a result of their upstairs beachfront location. Their room also had a 42" flat screen TV, an improvement over ours.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Plan_Ahead_Fred
Charlie6400, General Manager at FogCatcher Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2010
As General Manager of the FogCatcher Inn I encourage our guests to provide reviews on Trip Advisor. The staff and management of the FogCatcher Inn take pride in offering a unique, clean and relaxing experience on Moonstone Beach. After reading the review above I inspected the room and found it not up to my standards. The reviewer made valid points which have been addressed. Cleanliness and maintenance are key to our success. We appreciate all reviews and welcome guests comments during their stay. We look forward to having this reviewer return to the FogCatcher Inn.
lake havasu, arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

The rooms were heavenly and roomy with glorius fireplaces - the sound of the ocean will lull you to sleep every night -- walk across the street and walk on the boardwalk or on the sand - then comeback and have a great breakfast from room service (the staff at the hotel are wonderful and very accomodating - especially the General Manager (Mr. Yates) The pool and spa were great - We loved the town of Cambria for shopping and great dinners at the restaurants -- Went to Hearst Castle (worth going to see) The drive along the coast is spectacular -- we spent a romantic and relaxing 3 days at the FogCatcher and look forward to staying there this summer for a longer length of time to explore more of the sights.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jake94
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

Ever since my wife and I decided to travel to central Cal to relax and do some wine tasting I have been recomending to all of my friends to make the trip. We made our accommodations @ the FogCatcher inn located in Cambria, CA a small quite beach town on the central coast. Aprox 25 min north of Morrow Bay.
The inn has that old world europen charm that sets it apart and gets you in the frame of mind. Our room had a fireplace and a private balcony overlooking the ocean. We opend up a bottel of local wine "Moonstone" quite excellant, and watched the waves crashing on the rocks.
The FogCatcher offers a great continental breakfeast that is included with the price of the room. Waffles, eggs, bacon, fruit, coffee, juice etc cant go wrong. Charles Yates GM of the FogCathcher was very accomidating and made our dinner reservations based upon his recommendation at "Madelyn's". The food and the wine were outstanding, My wife and i ordered for starters a bottel of "Harmony" a local wine to go with Wild Mushroom Crapes and Scallops, followed by a bottel of "Moonstone" wine with our localy caught Sea Bass and Wild Boar. The chef took time out to vist with us and told us how he was preparing our meal, what srevice. We came home with 16 bottles of local wine joind a few of the local wine clubs. We cant wait to go back to the FogCatcher inn and eat at Madelyn's

Sincerly Satisfied
Rob and Lisa Graham

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Californialowandslow
Palm Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

This is a beautiful English-style inn hugging the Central California Coast. Each room has a cheerful fireplace, which was most welcome on a stormy, rainy night. Everything was spotlessly clean. White robes were provided. The full breakfast in the morning was more than ample, including homemade waffles. I would enthusastically recommend this motel.

• Stayed December 2009