“Good Price Good Room Good Service”
Review of FogCatcher Inn

FogCatcher Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
San Ramon, California
“Good Price Good Room Good Service”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed 3 nights, basic double Queen room, nice high ceilings, fireplace, small bathroom. Pool Spa nice heated in November, very quick service for extra towels, breakfast good standard buffet fair- eggs. cereals. juices. do it yourself waffles, etc. Clean dining room and food warm and refreshed constantly.. Great location across street from beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Delran, New Jersey
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

My family of 4 were taking a coastal tour and stayed at the Inn. The staff is very accommodating. The room was large, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very good. The staff gave my children little buckets to take to Moonstone Beach to collect rocks and hopefully find a moonstone. Upon our return, the staff were amazing with my children and helped them identify their findings and gave them warm cookies. It is such a special place that gave us wonderful memories for my family.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Rafael, CA
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We loved our stay at the FogCatcher Inn. It was a great place to stay. Very convenient location, very nice, clean and roomy room (not an ocean view but we were fine without it). we were right across from Moonstone Beach, within walking distance or a short drive to some wonderful restaurants. We were there mid-October for the Scarecrow Contest which was so much fun to see. Everywhere you walked in town and all around were the most fabulous "scare crows". There is a wonderful artist's community in Cambria and many wonderful shops and galleries to explore.
Back to the inn.....they have a wonderful breakfast included complete with make them yourself waffles, very easy and very good. Nice pool and hot tub. Very knowledgeable and helpful front desk staff. There is much to do in Cambria. Besides the shops and restuarants, there is the beach and wonderful walks. They are a short drive from Hearst Castle which you should not miss if you have never been there.
We took advantage of a 20% off the inn's rates if you stayed more than 3 days. We stayed 4 days and I was happy we did. There was enough to do there and the surrounding areas to keep us busy. We would love to visit Cambria again and will definitely stay at the FogCathcher Inn again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TuckSpenc
Orcutt, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the ultimate destination for beach view, fireplace, quiet ambience and very friendly, knowledgeable staff. Their morning breakfast is complete and delicious; by far the best hotel breakfast locally. Calling the hotel directly with questions is the best, as they are so very knowledgeable and helpful; Danielle helped me twice; once a change of dates, second the night before a Thursday arrival, to see how much to upgrade to ocean view queen mini suite. Danielle happily offerred a complimentary upgrade and this was delightful. The room was cozy, yet nicely furnished and the ocean view from each window was unbeatable. Listening to the waves from the comfortably fireplace-heated room made the stay exceptional. I had been up for the annual fall scarecrow festival the previous, but rainy, week and the town was a bit more quiet, but the wonderful scarecrows were no longer shrouded in plastic! Narnia and the long row of peddaling cyclists (complete with skeleton & Snoopy) were highlights. You need two days at least to see them all; the historical society alone has numerous cute scarecrows on their grounds. The only thing I wish is that hotels would still have DVD players in room or available for check out with deposit.
Sunsets and ocean boardwalk strolls, plus fine dining at two excellent restaurants within walking distance, complete the feeling of escape to paradise. I thank my lovely daughter and her family in Virginia for sending me this magnificent birthday present & I fully intend to return. She remembers our stays here from the past and knew it would be the best possible gift!

Room Tip: Even though our queen mini suite was on the lower level, on the front of the hotel (for spectacular...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

FogCatcher Inn, is one beautiful place to stay. We have revisited many times. Each accommodation is a separate bungalow, beautifully decorated and so cozy. My daughter and her husband enjoyed their stay on Honeymoon, and we my husband and I equally enjoyed its lovely atmosphere.
While there is no evening restaurant you will be spoiled with how many fabulous restaurants there are within walking distance.
Visit and spoil yourself you deserve it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Col W
Hoover, AL
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The FogCatcher Inn doesn’t just capture low lying clouds, it also attracts a bevy of happy Pacific coastal travelers, my son and I being two of them. Before embarking on our first trip to Central California, I researched overnight resting stops on or close to the Pacific Coast Highway. Our plans included landing in San Francisco (taking only a cursory tour with plans to return for a serious stay), and spending the night in Monterey. The next day we drove the scenic 17-Mile Drive from Monterey to Carmel-by-the Sea (what a treat) where we had lunch. From Carmel we took a short drive to connect with California State Route 1. That afternoon was a grand and glorious journey over a twisting, turning road that presented some of the most grand and glorious scenery I have ever witnessed.

Wanting to stay in a moderately small town at the end of our Pacific Coast Highway sojourn, I had originally settled on Morro Bay as our stopping point for the evening. However, reading reviews of Morro Bay, Pismo Brach and Cambria, I felt that an art-influenced community would better serve our needs, and found I certainly made the right choice! After deciding on the town, I started reviewing lodging reviews for Cambria on TripAdvisor, the only travel site I trust explicitly, simply because I’ve never had a bum steer based on recommendations from their site. I actually called several of my top choice locations just to get a “feel” of the hotel. The FogCatcher won hands down.

Raquel, the reservationist went into great details describing the facility, the town of Cambria, surrounding points of interests and places to see on or way to Santa Barbara. One of her recommendations to visit the little crossroad town of Harmony (Pop. 18 – Elevation 175). (And what a quaint and whimsical treat it was.) After spending about ten minutes in friendly patter with Raquel, she even suggested and encouraged me to “upscale” the room from one without and ocean view to one with a view of the Pacific. How right she was. It was perfect!

Our room was bright and breezy, with a much-welcome fireplace to stave off a bit of night chill. Raquel said the breakfast (included with the room) was the best in Cambria, bar none. All I can vouch for is that the offering was a first class hot breakfast with any combination of items any guest would want. It would be at least a $10-$15 breakfast in any good restaurant. There may be equally good breakfasts in Cambria, but I kinda doubt it.

Sightseeing in Cambria was made even more fun because the month of October is their annual “Scarecrow Festival”, where we saw all the figures from “The Wizard of Oz”, along with a large variety of other odd and off-beat characters. It was a photo op heaven of comedy and color. The shops and streets held the interest of these two travelers for several hours.

When dinner time rolled around, we received excellent restaurant suggestions from the front desk representative, but we chose Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill because of the beachside view of the Pacific, and the menu looked inviting…an it certainly was! (See my review of the MoonStone Beach Bar & Grill in TripAdvisor)

You would be well-advised to spend some time in the neat, arty town of Cambria, and stay at the FogCatcher Inn on Moonstone Beach. You’ll catch yourself a little slice of living at it's leisurely best.

Room Tip: Reserve one with an ocean view...it well worth the price!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2012

On our trip up the Pacific Coast Highway this week we stopped at rhe Fogcatcher Inn on Moonstone Bay, Cambria on the recommendation of a friend in Ojai (we're visiting from Ohio). The first thing I noticed as we drove down the road was that all the hotels looked alike-very modern, low-slung motel-like structures. They all looked nice, just similar. The Fogcatcher stood out for its Tudor style, rolled roofs and direct access to the beach right across the street (if you are reserving at any of the hotels on Moonstone, be sure to ask about beach access and views as some are blocked by brush). Very nice staff and the registration office has fresh coffee, tea, hot apple cider, apples, etc. available and staffed 24 hours.

All the rooms have gas fireplaces (the only form of heating, by the way)' fridge, microwave, comfy beds, good towels... Included in the room is a full hot breakfast buffet. Everything from fresh, steel cut oatmeal to waffles, omelets, scrambled eggs, juice, cereals, English muffins, croissant, muffins, etc. excellent.

We ended up staying for two nights because we spent so much time just walking the beach we needed an extra day to go to Harst Castle (5 miles up the road) and Paso Robles wineries.

Definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Because there are no balconies, I don't think it would be worth it to spend the extra $50 for an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple