FogCatcher Inn
Sand Pebbles Inn(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$152
Blue Dolphin Inn(Cambria)
$161
Sea Otter Inn(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$125
Cambria Landing Inn & Suites(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$169
Cambria Palms Motel(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$81
$77
Pelican Inn & Suites(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$161
Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$152
El Colibri Hotel and Spa(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$144
Cambria Pines Lodge(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$259
$229
Oceanpoint Ranch(Cambria)(Great Value!)
$140
$129
Oceanpoint Ranch
2,257 results
All reviewsfog catcheracross the streetmoonstone beachhearst castlewafflesgarden viewbreakfast roomgas fireplacecookiespotatoeswaffle makerheated poolfamily suiteroad tripmoonstone bar and grillbig surhot breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was taking the west coast road trip and this hotel seemed like a reasonable stopping point along the way. Right on the beach, and with a view of the sunset over the ocean.

When I checked in I realized immediately that there was no cell coverage, and was told by the staff that unless one crosses the street and sits on the bench coverage is unlikely at all. Not a huge problem by day, but by night it's a little eerie, sitting in the dark trying to make a phone call or check email with very patchy unreliable coverage.

The staff told me it wasn't a problem though because they have free WiFi. Except when I stayed there, it wasn't working properly. So no phone, no email, no Internet. Oh, and the TV didn't work on most of the channels.

So if you want to be totally isolated in a fairly ordinary hotel room, that's worth about half what they charge (you pay for the location clearly), then I guess it is okay. At least there's a fire place to look at while you wonder what important business emails you can't read or reply to.

When I complained about the broken WiFi the staff member offered to downgrade my room to what they call a 'garden view,' which is this hotel's code word for no ocean view (if I'd wanted to look at some grass I could probably find that at any hotel around the country for half the price). The other suggestion was that I go and sit by the pool (it was 65F and dark at the time).

When I checked out next morning I mentioned my issues and the night staff hadn't even mentioned the problem. I was told a manager would contact me to talk about it, and one did call. I missed the call and they made no further follow up attempt.

The pictures, reviews, and quaint English feel I just didn't get. As I walked past some of the other hotels in the same area to go eat at a restaurant, I couldn't help but think that if you want to stay in that area, you could do a lot better. Other nearby hotels have balconies and look like they would have better ocean views. My room was on the ground floor, which is a little misleading because it almost feels like a basement room, the bathroom windows being tiny slits near the ceiling and the ground coming almost up to the window at the front (leading one to be concerned about security leaving the windows open at night). If the grass grew long you'd barely be able to see the sea.

For me it just wasn't good enough, too many minor problems which add up to a bigger overall problem, and poor management follow up to try and rectify. But if you're a couple and you just want to isolate yourself from the real world for a few days, I guess it's okay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view that is NOT on the ground floor, unless you want to feel like you are in a basement and anyone can just wander up to your window, jump in and steal your things.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ZCT808
GM_FogCatcherInn, General Manager at FogCatcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

We are so sorry we didn’t meet their expectations during your recent stay. Unfortunately the cellular service along Moonstone Beach is very limited by many factors. We have several programs that we are exploring at this time to help our hotel provide cellular hot spots for our guests. We are also upgrading our Wireless Internet systems this month which will provide significantly better coverage, and a better experience for our guests. This upgraded system may also help improve cellular service for certain smart-phone users as well. We hope that these upgrades will help resolve the challenges that you experienced, and we would love the opportunity to speak with you about your challenges to ensure that the changes that we are in the process of making will help resolve the problems that you experienced. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further concerns or would like to speak with me more regarding your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon. James Davison, General Manager.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at this motel this past week and enjoyed the stay very much. It is right across the street from Moonstone beach and very accessable to the town of Cambria. It is a bit older than some of the other motels but more reasonablly priced and has a fantastic breakfast included in your stay. It comes with a nice fireplace, 32 inch flat screen tv as well as pool and spa. The area is quiet and there is nothing like a walk on the boardwalk or beach anytime by just stepping out your door. We highly recommend this when staying in Cambria. The staff is both friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: All rooms are both quiet and easy access to the beach
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We enjoyed our recent stay and would definately go back. Upon arrival the friendly staff greeted us with a smile and a cup of hot apple cider/coffee. The room was long in length but was a little tight in width. The gas fireplace was a plus and the beds were very squishy yet surprisingly comfy. The ocean front access was fantastic. We walked the ocean frontage trail every morning after breakfast and one lazy evening we sat on the property's ocean front benches to enjoy the sunset. Breakfast was included; it was fantastic with many choices. I would have liked it if the breakfast menu had changed day to day since we stayed multiple days but it was still very tasty. I would stay their again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 16, 2012

If you are ready to unwind, de-stress, just relax...then the FogCatcher Inn and it's staff will help you do all that.

The FogCatcher Inn is located directly across the street from the crashing waves of the Pacific, with the smell of the salt air and the picturesque beauty that Cambria offers all travelers. The staff of the FogCatcher were incredibly hospitable, friendly and made us feel like family...our new home away from home!

Each morning we enjoyed one of the best breakfasts we have ever had to get our day off to an amazing start...and these breakfasts were included in our cost. Each afternoon we were given cookies...and who doesn't like cookies to tide you over until dinner? Each time you entered the office we were greeted with great customer service and huge smiles. Each day we were just ready to stay forever!

The FogCatcher Inn will definitely be on our list of repeat places to stay...just like the waves that roll upon the shore just steps from your room...we will be the repeat guests coming to our new relaxing home with the beautiful views and crackling fire each night.

Thank you FogCatcher...you are amazing!!!

HittMas

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed this motel, but it probably isn't for everyone. We've lived in England and I do think the Fogcatcher evokes a quaint English garden atmosphere. It's an older property, so if you like "crisp and new" I would look elsewhere. The gardens are not expansive but most of the walkways are lined with flowers and attractive plantings. The hotel is located between the main highway and the coastal access road. Perhaps if you are in a room on the fringe, noise would be a problem. However, neither road is all that busy late at night. Our room was in the middle, so we had no noise and attractive garden surroundings.

The beach and boardwalk is directly across the beach access road. It was really convenient for both a late night and early morning beach stroll.

The room was very large with two beds, seating, a fireplace and plenty of extra space. I walked around the property and it seemed that the rooms located across the back of the property are quite a bit smaller.

The front office staff was very nice. We had no issues so never needed to test their ability to problem solve.

I'm not much of a breakfast eater. I thought breakfast was a bit mundane. My wife (the breakfast eater) liked it. The room where breakfast is served does remind one of a camp canteen, but you can take your food outside where there are several tables.

Our room was very clean. The beds were quite comfortable. We slept with the window open and never heard any noise until the early risers began making their way to breakfast.

I thought it was a nice place. Pricey, but everything in Cambria is. We paid $149 for a very spacious 2-bed room. I would stay again but be choosey about the room they give me.

Room Tip: Try hard to get a room in the middle of the property. "Ocean view" rooms probably aren't worth the price differential.