“Road trip to Cambria”
Review of FogCatcher Inn

FogCatcher Inn
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed January 8, 2012

There are many dog-friendly hotels in Cambria and FogCatcher was one of the highest rated on TripAdvisor. The hotel is in a great location, making it so easy to step across the street to take a sunset picture, or to walk down to Moonstone Beach and look for moonstones in the sand. We were very pleased with our junior suite room, although it was a bit cramped once we opened the sofa bed. The staff are very friendly, the rooms are very clean, and the whole experience was memorable. We would definitely return to FogCatcher again!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms downstairs if you are facing the street; there is little or no reception for...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jonji
There are newer reviews for FogCatcher Inn

Reviewed January 6, 2012

My mum and I planned a 2-day trip to Cambria to visit Hearst Castle. We drove up from LA and booked in for one night at the Fog Catcher. I had stayed at Cambria before and had wanted to try this hotel, but it was booked out so I was excited to find a great deal online. The hotel is located right on the bay so it's lovely to wake up and go for a walk before you visit the castle or drive up Big Sur.

The staff were very cheerful and happy when we checked in, and our room was great. Two large beds, a relatively small bathroom, but it was quiet, at the back of the property and the beds were very comfortable. It was very clean, water bottles were provided (I always like this) and there was a lovely gas fireplace as it was chilly when we visited.

After we came back from dinner at Robins (a great place to eat if you go to Cambria), we went to the jacuzzi! It was so much fun and hilarious to get my mum into a pool, the first time in years. The pool and area was very clean and well maintained.

Breakfast is in a little room and included in the room rate. It was very busy when we were there, but I think it is very good value. The best treat, the waffle iron!

Overall, if I went back to Hearst Castle I wouldn't stay anywhere else - this was fun, great value and most importantly, my mum loved it and wants to go back when she comes to LA again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank pippaz2
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We have stayed here a few times and i love it! I booked my room online with advanced pay requesting a king bed garden room. They called me back to advise me that the king wasn't avaliable due to maintenance they were doing and if they could give me a queen garden instead. I was pretty disappointed but agreed and asked if the king did become avaliable if I could have that back instead she said she would make a note. I left the call feeling like she was just saying she would make a note to defuse me just based on prior experiences with other hotels. When I arrived I was greeted promptly with the friendly member at the desk we were offered coffee, hot chocolate and cider. They really turned my frown upside down when they followed through and got us or King garden room after all. They have robes in the rooms, hair dryer, irons, coffee. Everything I need to be comfortable is here! Breakfast in the morning 7-10am is pretty delish and great with many choices. Eggs, sausage,cereal, oatmeal pastries, fruit, make your own waffles... This is my preferred hotel I'm glad they never disappoint me!

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank honestnic
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Amazing hotel right across moonstone beach. This was the highlight of our CA Highway 1 road trip. Very friendly and professional staff. The room was very clean with a temperature controlled fireplace and HD LCD TV. Their cookies/coffee/hot choc and their breakfast was great as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the front of the hotel. Some of the courtyard rooms up front have an angled...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravellingWhileTan
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Over the years, we have visited Cambria many times. Fog Catcher is by far the best for the money. The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful. Room is clean and spacious for four (2 adults and 2 kids). We enjoyed the breakfast very much. Best of all, location, location, location.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lkcampo
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Here's the lowdown: When you visit the Hearst Castle, you can stay at one of less expensive motels on Rt. 1, or, you can spend a small amount more, and stay at one of the special small motels on Moonstone Drive in Cambria. There are appx. 10 or 12 boutique motels in a row, all right across from a beautiful beach and clifftop walkway. I've stayed at four of them over the past couple of years. All are nice, all are a little different. For a clean decent room in an older but well-maintained motel, consider The Castle Inn. Some of the rooms are on a second level, so if you have trouble walking, ask for a ground-floor room. We paid $145 night. For a more charming place, where the rooms are high-ceilinged, working gas fireplace, and heated pool and hot tub, consider The FogCatcher Inn. They also throw in a real, hot full breakfast for a room rate of $185. Enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank deighter
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Excellent value for the money because I traveled at the right time of year - a little pricey otherwise, as to be understandably expected. Nonetheless, you can't beat the waterfront location across the road from the scenic boardwalk and Pacific Ocean's waves crashing along the picturesque shoreline. Excellent buffet breakfast is included in the price; a very friendly and helpful staff available to assist; well equiped rooms; and an all around peaceful experience awaits any guest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the parking lot (although that is still a great room).
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family