“Our stay here was ok for a economy hotel everything was up...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Camarillo - Ventura

Days Inn Camarillo - Ventura
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Camarillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Southern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

It's good and bad that we got this place at a very inexpensive rate. Good: is inexpensive. Bad: is inexpensive, so don't know what kind of neighbors you'll have. I realized this when we booked it and knew we were taking a chance, especially with the fairly low rating this place had on Tripadvisor. Had stayed at the Best Western basically across the street a few weeks prior to staying at the Days Inn and had a very good experience, and knew the neighborhood wasn't that bad. So we took a chance and stayed here when we went to visit family, since it was way less expensive for a one bedroom, king bed. Thank goodness I had read Tripadvisor before we went, so I was prepared for anything. Now really, it wasn't awful - NO bugs, the bed was comfortable, the room was big, shower was fine, TV had good stations and the screen was nice. But something that always concerns me is bad neighbors, and wouldn't you know it, on the first night of our stay, we were surrounded on both sides by drunken, rowdy people who I think were carrying on till maybe 1 or so in the morning. We didn't call to report it because I think you hope deep down they have to go to sleep sometime! Or maybe they'd have some consideration for others who may have been staying there. Plus it sounded as if they were right in front of our door, so wouldn't they have been seen on some type of surveillance camera or patrol person? On the second night, no rowdy neighbors and things were much better. On the positive side, I am a nonsmoker and don't like to stay in smoking rooms; this facility has smoking rooms, but we were put in a nonsmoking room. And even though I saw people smoking out and about, I didn't smell it in our room. People also had pets there, but I didn't hear them either.
The other thing that wasn't so good was the "free" breakfast, and you must remember you get what you pay for. If you want carbohydrates, this is the place for you - make-your-own waffles with syrup that comes out of a big square container that looks like the thing that dispenses butter on popcorn at the movies, small danishes/pastries, two types of cereal (I know one was frosted flakes and the other may have been raisin bran but I don't remember), toast, packaged oatmeal, and there may be other stuff that I also can't remember. The coffee wasn't that good, but I "blame" that on the weird-tasting water that was everywhere in Camarillo. My husband said the OJ was like pure syrup. But again, it was free. Don't expect any protein, except for milk provided in big pitchers. I think they also had apples and oranges as fruit choices. If I wanted yogurt, I guess I could have walked over to McDonald's which was close by. In fact, there are a ton of places close by where you can walk - Ralph's (a grocery store), Marie Callender's, Coco's, McDonald's, Carl's (fast food) and a very big strip mall across the street. You also are just across the freeway from the outlets and a bunch of stores including a Target and Home Depot, so if you forgot just about anything at home, you could probably buy it somewhere relatively close.
But I digress. Back to the room review: The curtains didn't seem to close all the way, so light came in when you tried to sleep. The last sort of strange thing about the room was an itemized list that basically said that you'd be charged a certain amount if things were found missing from the room, i.e., so much for a bath towel, so much for a face cloth, etc. I didn't dare ask for extra towels!
The room is pretty basic - things are dated, the sink looks like it's been refinished. The room has a fridge and a microwave, which was nice. The staff at the front desk were overall pretty nice. One person had sort of a scowl, but when I said "thank you" after he provided me with some info, his face soften and he smiled. It could be that he deals with some dicey people, like the drunks we had experienced that one night! Who knows?
Will I stay here again? Probably so, since my husband thinks it was fine for the money. If you don't expect much, and bring ear plugs with you, this place is a completely adequate place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank SoCalCouple050
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Thank you for taking care of our family!! Great front desk & management. Rooms clean and no complaints! Always a solid option in Ventura County for an affordable room. Close to the outlet mall too and Rocket Fizz.

• Stayed May 2012