“smelly hotel, not sure that the great beds compensate”

Courtyard Camarillo
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Camarillo
Oakland, CA
“smelly hotel, not sure that the great beds compensate”
Reviewed January 1, 2007

I've stayed here twice. First time was ok -- nice enough basic room with great bed (love the marriott bed). Still, the room smelled like someone had recently smoked in it and the housekeeper had dropped a bleach or something in it to cover up the smell. We left the window open and slept ok, but for $123 expected more care. Anyway, we then returned a few months later and the first room we were given reeked of solvents of some kind -- smelled likely newly glued carpeting -- even my partner who has no sensitivities was getting sick to his stomach, so we asked to switch rooms. A huge pain as we'd already unpacked. The staff were helpful, and we ended up in a room that merely smelled stall -- a big inprovement! Anyway, I'm going to be looking elsewhere for accomodation in the area since the cleanness of the air isn't something I can depend on at this Marriott. On noise, we could hear others in their rooms but it wasn't too intense. Freeway noise wasn't loud on the "away" sides of the building.

• Stayed December 2006
2 Thank Lanya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 15, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on a business trip. It was a very upscale Courtyard. There was fresh fruit and tea/coffee available 24 hours a day. Brand new equipment in the exercise room. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. Hotel staff was wonderful. My hairdryer had no heat, but a new one was delivered within 3 minutes to my door. Nice sitting area in the lobby. Very clean and spacious rooms. My king room also had a sitting area with sofa and chair, along with a desk. I would definitely book here again if I'm in the Camarillo area.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank teash
Napa, CA
Reviewed September 9, 2006

I stayed here during Labor Day weekend. I chose the location because it was between Santa Barbara and LA, without the Santa Barbara prices. The location was very convenient to Malibu also. Courtyard Camarillo is at the end of a new, clean, friendly strip mall with lots of trees--very nice. There's a Starbucks within easy walking distance, less than a quarter mile away. When we walked into the lobby my 12-year-old son sighed and asked, "Can we stay HERE for a WEEK?" The lobby is very nice with gardens all around, and free coffee and chilled lemon water all day and night. The desk was a pretty granite--I just got a really nice feeling from the lobby. Was it the lighting or something? The hotel receptionists were very friendly and professional. The rooms are your typical three-star rooms, plenty big, with a well-laid out bathroom (bath and toilet in one room, and sink/mirror area separate.) The corridors seemed a little dark and long, maybe because we were far from the elevator. The beds in the two-bed room are queens, which is so much better than doubles, especially when traveling with four. I didn't care for the dark green carpeting palette, since it seems a bit dated and maybe not as clean (but I'm probably being a little to critical.) But I appreciated the nicer down comforters (a nice upgrade from the typical flowery bedspreads at other hotels.) I did notice a roll-away bed in the hall one morning, and I could see that the hotel uses the good kind, which stand up on rollers rather than fold in half--these roll-aways are actually comfortable! The exercise room seemed nice, though I didn't use it. The hot tub was indoors, which I don't care for, but I don't typically use hot tubs. The pool was a nice size and outside, with tables and chairs for seating; swimming hours end at 11 instead of 10. The gate to the pool is noisy, so if 11pm is too late for you, don't choose a courtyard view room. I would absolutely visit this site again. I would advise the operators to consider a lighter palette when they remodel the rooms, but other than that, I was pleased with my choice in accommodations!

• Liked — The beautiful lobby
  • Disliked — The green carpeting--so 90's
  • Tips/Secrets — Awesome breakfast--not free, but excellent buffet
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Roadtrippinmom
belgium
Reviewed October 5, 2005

Very beautiful hotel, good situation, staaf very friendly. I want there to return as soon as possible. very good breakfast has small price.

• Stayed August 2004
California
Reviewed September 18, 2005

Not much to say. Clean, well kept, friendly staff, thorough maid service, good location. I'll stay there again next time I'm in Camarillo.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 22, 2005

We stayed overnight while traveling - checked in somewhat late and discovered our no-smoking room reeked of smoke. We requested a different room and were given another room, this time overlooking the courtyard rather than the parking lot - and were completely satisfied. The room was very nicely decorated and quite comfortable. The desk clerk was very helpful in the morning giving us directions to the nearest Best Buy.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank MGreene16
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 5, 2005

How refreshing to find somewhere safe to stay, comfortable, spacious and clean! The rooms were very nicely appointed and the beds were the best of the entire trip! So comfortable that we inquired as to what kind they were, as we are in the market for a new bed!

The place is immaculate, very nice lobby, dining area, exercise room and lovely rooms!

Would definitely stay there again!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camarillo
Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo
Good Nite Inn Camarillo
#3 of 10 in Camarillo
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo

Been to Courtyard Camarillo? Share your experiences!