“Worst $135 I ever spent in my life!”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Camarillo
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed here last night. We normally stay in Comfort Inns which we love because they are consistantly very nice and usually $65-$95, but alas they were all booked in the Camarillo area. It was late so we stopped and stayed at this Quality Inn. What a misnomer! It was supposed to be a non-smoking room but it stunk of cigarettes or Lord knows what. The carpet had stains all over it. The ceiling had stains all over it. The WiFi didn't work so I had to use my iPhone as a hotspot to use my laptop. And all this for $135! I will never stay in a Quality Inn again. I've stayed in Marriots, Hyatts, Hiltons, Holiday Inns, Sheridans, you name it, and the best hotel for the money is Comfort Inns.

Room Tip: Stay at a Comfort Inn, not Quality Inn.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveGisriel

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I am not one to complain. This is my first complaint ever for Choice Hotels. I stay with 60+ nights a year and everyone at my company uses them.

1. Shower was not functional. The little "post" that needs to be lifted from the tub faucet to engage the shower head was completely broken. We were unable to shower and had to use the sink just wash up.

- When checking out, I let front desk know an asked to have the General manager (Jim Oneil) call me when he got in. I never received a call. I left Jim a voicemail a few days later and he never returned my call.

- I finally called choice hotels direct and asked that my stay get refunded. Choice had to call GM Jim Oneil directly (with me on hold) to confirm I stayed there and that the shower was non functional. Jim told choice the shower was functional and that he would not refund the stay. He basically said I was a liar.

The GM at this property in not very professional!

I am not a complainer, as I chose to book this "cheaper" location. Some of the things in the room are common among these lower grade hotel. Hotel old and dingy. Room smelled like smoke. 1 small cockroach crawling around on wall in hotel bathroom.

Drive to the coast and get a nicer hotel....

Suggestion:Drive into Santa Barbara and stay somewhere nice. This town is a dump. Manger is unprofessional.

Reason for Trip:vacation

Travel Companions:Family

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Drive to stay in Santa Barbara. This town is a dump....
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BusinessCasual2014
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I usually read reviews of hotels prior to booking. I didn't do that for this hotel because Quality Inn usually has good standards. So when I read all the horrible reviews for this place, I thought I was headed for disaster. I can honestly say that I had comfortable stay at this one. My room (321) was very clean and spacious. The fridge and television worked fine. The bathroom had all your basic needs and was clean. The staff on duty were very courteous and professional. The free breakfast isn't anything to brag about but filling. They had cereal, bread and bagels, fruits, juices, tea, coffee, hard boiled eggs, omelettes, and sausage patties.The only negatives about this place were that the Wi-Fi signal was extremely weak where I was staying and there aren't any restaurants within walking distance. You will have to have food delivered or drive a couple of miles if you get hungry. Other than that, my stay was okay. I paid the military price. So with taxes, my stay cost $71 for one night. Good luck with finding someplace in Camarillo at that price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Picture 1970's Motel 6. Very dated looking rooms. Old style TV. Room was not too clean but not horrible. The website says free internet, refrigerators, wine tasting during Happy Hour. None of this was available. The clerk said he never heard of any wine tasting and when I said it is on their local website he said he had never read the website. Don't advertise what you don't have. Wi-fi in the lobby but VERY slow, non existent in the rooms. $83 for this place. Really? Hard to believe and so not worth it. $49 would be too much. Stay somewhere else as there are a lot of options near by.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Feltontraveller
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Bottom line first: OK for a one night stopover with limited or no internet. Otherwise, I would spend a bit more $$ and stay somewhere else. Lots of options in the area.

This place has a pleasant appearance and the rooms are clean. However, I have found that management is taking a minimalist approach to what they offer. Some ok, some not ok.
The price is good and I can live with compromises. The one thing I found unacceptable was the internet access. It is free but useless. Glacially slow!. I called the front desk twice wondering if they need to reset something. I appreciated the honest response that it is just slow. It is not ok.. Due to this, I will not be staying here again although we visit the area once a year.

Breakfast – If presentation does not matter much, then it is passable. Eggs are available in thepancake style, barely warm. Boiled eggs. Patty sausage, The second day included a little bacon.. Bagels, pastries, Instant oatmeal and cereals. Apples, oranges.Coffee and juices available. So you get some protein, some carbs, some juice, coffee, five tables. All located in the lobby itself.

Room - 318
Internet - terrible
Air conditioning – very good
Microwave – yes
Refrigerator – very good. I dislike hotels that fill the refrigerators with items for sale with no room for anything that we might purchase that needs to be refrigerated. This was empty.
Electrical outlets – limited but adequate. The plug to the left of the air conditioner is totally worn out. Will not hold a cord.
Smoking - no
Safe for valuables - no
Towels, linens – your basic white linens
Tissues (kleenex or equal) - yes
Facecloths - yes
Bed and pillows – bed was more comfortable than it looked. Four smallish pillows that are fine.
Television – Looks like the old CRT type. Works fine but often grainy. Very limited selection.
Approximatly 12 channels. No CNN. FOX ...ugh.
DVD player – No
One of the three chairs has a nasty looking stain. Did not want to use that chair.
Wall around the air conditioner is either filthy or needs to be painted.
Shower / bathtub – basic shower in tub. Decent shower. Drains slowly so that one is standing in water.
Bathroom amenities – bare bones but just fine
Hair dryer – yes, works very well
Sound – did not hear any of our neighbors
Exercise room – no
Robes - no
Coffee maker – yes, did not replace coffee after first day's use...
Pool - yes
Location – Just off the freeway in industrial park area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have great luck with Quality Inn and Suites ... with this exception! Our 4 person room was equipped with 2 DOUBLE beds, not queens, not kings ... impossible! The desk clerk when we checked in (early) was really great, friendly and checking in early was no problem. Went sightseeing and returned after dinner to a surly, unfriendly and unhelpful creepy guy! The Wi-Fi did not work and the surly guy actually argued with our friend who is an IT guy professionally! We never did get Wi-Fi ... easy to give something for free that doesn't exist. Breakfast was HORRIBLE, there was nothing even faintly appetizing about it. The muffins looked old, and tasted older, I don't know what the "eggs" were, the bacon was not cooked all the way, and was limp and greasy. REALLY??? are you kidding me? Breakfast was supposed to run until 9:30, our friend slept late and got down about 9:10 and everything was put away. She had to beg for a glass of milk. I spend 2-3 nights a week in hotels, there is no excuse for this hotel!

Room Tip: here is my tip .... stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cher L
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel is horrible! Please spend a little more and stay somewhere else! The only thing appealing is the rates! The room was filthy disgusting, someone's razor caps, toothpicks, and q tips. The floor was absolutely soiled! Sheets were dirty! Internet was slow. General manager came in and squashed the kitchen trash with his foot letting milk and other trash run down his leg! The walls are paper thin, and neighboring rooms were extremely loud! You need earplugs to sleep in this place! Just the worst! Please, please don't stay here!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family