“Downhill!”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have enjoyed many meals at this lovely restaurant for over 10 years. It has a wonderful decor and bar area. Very classy and comfortable. Unfortunately, in the past year the service and dinner entrees have been lacking the quality of the past. If you are looking for a nice place for appetizers and cocktails, then it will be a hit for most patrons. I would look elsewhere for dinner.

1  Thank Goonliving

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had eaten here many times in the past when we worked in the valley and passed this restaurant daily. It is now called, "The Grill", and we used a coupon from Restaurant.com to eat there this time. I ordered roasted marrow bones and they were yummy! We asked for bread and recieved a small basket of bread. We both had caesar salad which was good although I am used to having parmesan cheese on it and if it was there, I didn't see or taste it. But there were anchovies and I love those so it made up for the missing cheese. My husband ordered the shrimp and scallop meal. He got 3 very well done shrimp, 2 scallops, a small amount of fries and some coleslaw. I ordered the Lamb Shanks which I have ordered many times in the past and loved. They used to come with white beans , not any longer, they come with gnocchi and cooked spinach and it all was very salty. We had iced tea which was served to us at the beginning and had hardly any ice and soon turned warm. No one offered refills until the end of the meal and I told the waittress the tea was warm and I didn't want a refill. This used to be a favorite place to go but not any more.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We received a coupon for a 4 piece dinner at $20 each person. Excited, but were told at the restaurant it only included three options. Since I'm a vegetarian, pork, etc. didn't work for me and waitress said she couldn't even think of what they could substitute even though their online menu shows pasta dishes. I ordered grilled cheese and tomato soup but it was like a child cooked it. White bread with cheese and what tasted like Campbell's canned soup. Waitress just not interested in us or making this a nice experience. Would not go there again.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My Parents live in Simi Valley, so while my dad was on a fishing trip I took my mother to lunch / early dinner. Beautifully decorated upscale interior, helpful staff but the menu was very limited, because we were there before 3pm they had no appetizers or mashed potatoes. But the alcoholic beverages were great! What we did order for food was exceptionally good my mom had the lamb and it fell off the bone and melted in your mouth the sauce over gnocchi was amazing. I had the blue cheese bacon burger and it was very tasteful!

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Our large party left Mastros in Thousand Oaks because it was so snooty, and were greeted with open arms by the Califoria Grill... The food was superb, the value extraordinary, the ambiance festive. I highly recommend the steak and lobster!