“Must Stop Place for Great Food made with Love n Care”

Dorothy's Chuck Wagon Cafe
Ranked #116 of 201 Restaurants in Camarillo
Cuisines: American
Clay Center, Kansas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must Stop Place for Great Food made with Love n Care”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

On a recent business trip in Southern California we were driving through old town Camarillo. We noticed this cute little local spot and many local people were going and coming. Just the place we look for when traveling. "Where do the locals eat?". Wow! What a treat! It is such a fun place to just eat and enjoy. The owners are a couple of characters but just great friendly folks. Craig, the husband, looks like a throw back to the 60's.
If you want some fantastic food for reasonable prices with so much variety you have to stop here. The two things that everyone should try is their wide variety of sausages and one of my favorites was the "meatloaf omelet". That's right meatloaf! Don't know how they make it but it was such a treat. Have you ever had "shrimp sausage"? You can try it here! Again unbelievable.
We are looking forward to the next time that we can visit Camarillo. Dorothy's is such joy and great eating place.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Morgan S

Camarillo
“The way it should be.”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

What a breath of fresh air. Small but quaint with humorous bumper stickers on the wall. The waitress was friendly and went out of her way to brew a specialty coffee for my wife.. Food selection was quite extensive. Large selection of different types of pancakes and sausages. Food was delivered quickly with an attentive waitress. With today's restaurants a carbon copy of each other Dorothy's Chuck Wagon Cafe is an amazing step back in time of good food and great service

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Mark S
Camarillo, California
“Some character. Below average food. Pricey.”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is a family owned diner in the heart of downtown Camarillo. They have a counter and some tables. Breakfast and lunch (sandwiches) kind of place. This place seems to have potential, but the food is not so great. There are better options close by. Service is fine.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Hitcher84
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Cute place, takes you back.”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Having just purchased a summer home in the Camarillo, I took a few days to really get familiar with the area and I stumbled onto this eatery while driving through the refurbished Old Town area of Camarillo. I stopped in for breakfast and was instantly taken back to a time when my folks would pack the kids up and we'd do a road trip. DCWC is not a huge eatery but it's cozy and very cute styled in the old style roadside stop. The interior is decorated wall to wall with bumper stickers, signs and license plates all very humurous. There was one waitress and one cook - I'd say maybe 30 folks would be capacity - and the food was excellent. I had their basic egg, bacon and pancake breakfast and the portions were very generous (Pancakes are huge) I would highly recommend this place for people heading up the coast on the 101 freeway (Again Old Town Camarillo) It's a cozy place with great food located right on a street corner. Stop by for good food and a feeling of nostalgia.

1 Thank Coder
Alaska
“It's homey, honey”
Reviewed July 27, 2008

When I travel and look for something to eat, I really like to find diners and little spots with a true local character. I consider my good fortune to have recently stumbled by Dorothy's Chuck Wagon Cafe in Old Town Camarillo. The outside's funky window dressings and signage beckons the passerby to come have a look. A peek throuigh the screen door reveals a small central counter and booths on either side with seating for about 25-30 people. The walls are decorated with countless bumper stickers and other regalia for a good bit of humorous reading. It's definitely Old School. Even the cash register is electro-mechnical.

The retro feel to Dorothy's doesn't stop there. The waitress called me "honey", just like she did all the hungry folks in her domain during my lunchtime visit. When's the last time that happened to you in one of those cookie-cutter brass-and-fern eateries? In addition to reading the walls, I enjoyed myself eavesdropping on some of the colorful locals banter with the waitress. It was a real show.

The menu here is pretty standard fare with a few exceptions; e.g., sweet potato pancakes. The vegetable soup seemed a popular item, but I ordered a cheeseburger with green chilis and potato salad with regular iced tea. I finished with a piece of coconut cream pie. The food was quite good, but the dining _experience_ was simply outstanding.

Open for breakfast and lunch, I tip my hat to Dorothy's Chuck Wagon owners for maintaining some truly unique Character -- with a capital C -- in this era of boring food with poor service in restaurants that all look the same. Dorothy's was a breath of fresh air for this road warrior. It's a place in which I felt right at home.

2 Thank Aurora_Guy