“Not trendy Napa , but a great experience.”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Recommended by a friend, the hotel was a wonderful throwback to an era when spa resorts were really about the natural resources. The mineral pools were wonderfully relaxing, and not crowded. We tried a mud bath (for the first and, probably, last time --it's one of those things you either like or you don't) but spent most of our time soaking in the various pools. The only drawback is when the Calistoga auto races are happening, the volume from the course level probably exceeds allowable noise pollution standards. It was painfully loud, but thankfully, ended Sunday night. If you're going on a week-end, check to make sure the rally isn't happening. Otherwise, it was a great place to stay, and Calistoga was a welcome relief after the high-end shoppes and restaurants of Napa and Sonoma. Check out the Geysers if you stay at Dr. Wilkinson's. Another funky throwback, but a good deal.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carbon12
There are newer reviews for Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Comfortable, clean large rooms. This property is charming and kept, the staff always makes us feel comfortable and welcomes our children. We really come for the pools to take in the waters- my kids have eczema and after a day or two of playing in the mineral pools, their skin is rash-free and baby smooth (unfortunately it does come back in a month or so- thus we take frequent trips to Calistoga). Most resort pools in Calistoga put too much chlorine in their mineral pool- dries out my kids skin, enflames the eczema. I appreciate that Dr. Wilkinsons still holds true to their water treatments and spa therapy. Great massages btw..and the mud bath, eh, not for me but I'm glad I tried it. Also this property is right next to the grocery store- convienant to pick up snacks, wine, or make the breakfast run while everyone one else is still in bed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SEAtraveler_7
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! Happy to hear that you and your family enjoy coming here!

Hoping to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have been coming to Wilkinsons for several years now. Probably time to write a review!
On the edge of downtown, this Calistoga institution has stood the test of time. Pleasant and comfortable rooms, three lovely pools of different temperatures. The staff are very helpful...we even got a thoughtful call to let us know that the speedway was hosting races in case we were sound sensitive. Thanks for that! Not fussy like several other more expensive options in town, just a comfortable room with nice pools and pleasant staff. Very relaxing!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Manager at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Alan-katherine,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review, It is always great hearing from past guests! I am happy that you enjoyed your recent visit and hope to see you here again soon! We are finishing the touches on the restoration of our vintage neon sign and new relaxing couples massage room...always something new going on without changing the original flavor too much!

Warm best wishes,

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We took advantage of a midweek special which included a mud bath and mineral bath treatment. The place is fun and relaxing, quiet and centrally located in the town. We walked the town twice and enjoyed not having to drive to dinner. The spa treatment was fun and restorative. I am a sucker for mineral baths and this one was great. Very retro and reminiscent of the old bath houses in places like Hot Springs, AZ.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moongazer849
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear moongazer,

Thanks for the terrific review! I hope you visit us on your next trip out this way!

Many, many thanks.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

This place is clean and orderly. The room we were in was very large. The grounds are pleasant and quiet at least on a Thursday night in February. We had a fun time trying the mud baths. One thing I really liked about our stay was that never had to drive the whole time we were in town. There are many restaurants, shops, bars and a nice grocery store within two blocks. When we were not enjoying the three small pools and the mud bath treatments we walked and ate in town. It was easy and relaxing to be there. The room came with a small fridge.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear Cymbidian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review about your recent stay. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the pools and mud baths!

We have been here for almost 62 years and strive each day to create a welcoming enviornment for all guests...the new ones and the many, many returnees!

Hoping to see you here again soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have been going to Dr. Wilkinsons Spa & Hotel for decades & have always been very pleased with everything, but this time I was very disappointed that the steam room or lack thereof has diminished to almost nothing. I think this is a very important phase of the relaxation process & it needs to be restored to its previous performance ASAP. I may be that the repair is expensive but I think it should be addressed. I told the staff at the time my treatment was completed but I hope that Mark will see this & respond to the problem.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to write you review. I was aware that there was a problem with the steam room on your last visit and for this I sincerely apologize!!!

Having come here since 1988, I hope you know that we take all feedback seriously and make an extra effort to do whatever we can to ensure a good visit! The steam room was fixed the day after your visit and I assure you that it was an unusual problem. With our hot springs water also comes lots of steam!

Please contact me directly if there is anything else I can do for you!

Most sincerely,

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had such a great stay at this hotel. Mark Wilkinson went out of his way to make sure we were well taken care of. I simply cannot say enough about the personal touches this property rewards its guests. The retro vibe is awesome and the rooms are large, beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. The entire property is spotless and well maintained. The mineral pools are amazing-we went in all three. We did the mud bath treatments and wow we felt great-we highly recommend it-what a great deal. As for the location it is second to none. I have stayed at many of the great Napa valley hotels but had the best time and stay at Dr Wilkinson's. Amazingly it is a great value too. Definitely stay here!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisSanFrancisco

Dear Chris,

Thanks so very much for the kind review! We appreciate hearing from happy guests and the staff and I look forward to your return!

Best wishes,