“Great experience at a great price!”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We decided to stay the night in Calistoga at the last minute and chose Dr Wilkinsons because we wanted to soak in the pools. We ended up staying in 2 of their bungalows. They are located just off the pools tucked away in the back of the property. They were clean and well maintained. We really enjoyed the courtyard outside the bungalows. The kids were able to run around and play without disturbing any of the guests and the pools were easily accessible.

We were very happy with our stay at Dr Wilkinsons. The staff was friendly, the property was clean and the pools are crystal clear! We definitely plan to come back.

• Stayed: January 2013
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear crochs,

I am happy to read that you and your family enoyed their recent stay with us! We take pride in maintaining a relaxing and enjoyable pool area! Your comments have been passed along to staff members. Hopefully on your next visit you will have time to partake in our of our treatments!

Thanks again (is it too late to say Happy New Year still?)! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I have traveled extensively over the years, both for business and pleasure. Since I need to regularly swim and exercise in warm water, pool quality is high up on my priority list. Of all the beautiful pools I have enjoyed, the ones I am happiest using are the outdoor 90 degree pool and the indoor therapy pool at Doctor Wilkinson's. There is also an outdoor pool for lap swimming in cooler water. The pools are spotlessly clean. Inviting lounges and chairs lend themselves to sunning; reading or just relaxing. A graceful and interesting assortment of plants adds to the ambience. It is my good fortune that I am able to enjoy "Ahhh, Spa!" experiences frequently. I have been impressed by how many other guests I visit with and find they are long time repeat customers. One lady I recently visited with works at the Westin in Vallejo but her getaways are always to Wilkinson's. She usually comes with her mother but she was there alone that day as a birthday treat for herself. Others traditionally celebrate their wedding anniversarys there and, especially in the summer months, it's common to see whole wedding parties enjoying themselves. Families with small children are also welcome and the 90 degree pool is ideal for little ones. The pools are in a beautiful, peaceful setting. One would never guess that the amenities of "Beautiful Downtown Calistoga" are only steps away. I encourage anyone to leave their troubles behind; relax and be restored at Dr. Wilkinson's. Ahhh, Spa!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Norine M
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear Norine M,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am so happy that you enjoy the various pools when you come and stay with us! Indeed, they are relaxing especially since we offer them only to overnight guests or for those partaking in our great treatments!

It's always nice to meet and greet our many return guests. I sincerely hope that we see you here again soon!

Warm best wishes,

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I have had a great experience at Dr. Wilkinson's in years past, but the new upgrades and improvements have pushed it over the top! A few years ago, we stayed at the Hideaway Cottages, their more removed next-door neighbor, but this time around, we stayed at Dr. Wilkinson's proper. We had been missing out! Within the last year or so, they've remodeled the rooms, and they look GORGEOUS. The room we stayed in was quiet, relaxing, well appointed - everything we were looking for. Can't beat the location, either - half a block from Calistoga's main street with all the best restaurants, bars, etc., within an easy stroll. I had gotten my girlfriend a massage and a facial as a birthday present, and she has nothing but rave reviews. The facial was called the "Pumpkin Facial," I think, and she said the facial person (dunno what their official title would be - esthetician, maybe?) was great - answered her questions about skin care, explained the process well, and had a great touch. She also said it smelled great, for what that's worth. :) It was hard to get much of a reaction out of her at the time, because the hour massage had turned her into a relaxed puddle! She had a similar experience with the masseuse - very friendly, helpful, and talented with their hands. This would be her third Dr. Wilkinson's massage, and she's always been thrilled with them. She's relaxed for a week after each one! One last thing I want to mention - the staff was super friendly and helpful. Amongst other things, they gave us some excellent recommendations for smaller wineries to go visit, were beyond friendly at checking, great on the phone - everything we could ask for. We're sold, and can't wait for a return visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Bluesman Dave,

Thank you so much for the great review. I am excited to know how much you enjoyed your newly done room and am even happier that your girflfriend enjoyed her massage and facial.
I don't know if you had time to enjoy our three pools but I hope that you have the time on a future visit!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

It was a rather nasty time -- hard, cold rain. The hot waters of the Doc Wilkinson's made for a nice time. Not onsite restaurant, but plenty of options within walking distance. We had nice times at Pacifico and Susie's.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello urgentd,

Thanks so much for the review. I agree that there is nothing more than relaxing in our warm outdoor mineral water pools during a good storm! The indoor jacuzzi is also amazing, rain or shine!

Come see us again soon...........again, rain or shine! Hopefully you will have the time to enjoy a massage, facial or mud bath!

Warm best wishes,

Reviewed December 8, 2012

From the great mid-century architecture to the wonderful staff, this is the place that shouldn't be overlooked on any trip to Calistoga. This is not a stuck-up "hoity toity" place full of snobs, it's friendly, clean and full of local history. The bath house is fantastic with a great choice of different treatment options - I think I've tried every one and enjoyed them all. Be sure to give yourself a real pampering by booking a facial treatment with Annamarie in the little private cottage - you won't want to leave. She's professional, thorough and gentle, choosing just the right products for your skin type.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear 61and havingfun,

Thank you so much for the review! We always enjoy reading good things about us and your review will be passed along to all of the various staff members that make up the Dr. Wilkinson's "family".

We all hope to see you again soon and wish you and yours a happy holiday season!

Best wishes,

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Before we checked into Dr. Wilkinson's we had a great lunch over at SolBar (nearby at the Solage Resort on the Silverado Trail) and were so excited about starting off our long Thanksgiving weekend getaway - just driving up to Dr. W's and seeing it from the road was enough to know we made a mistake. Understand - we generally stay at Best Western's for fair prices plus you know what you'll get. Sadly Dr. Wilkinson's Resort is really the pits.

Positives: Easy check in, very comfortable beds & pillows, friendly staff. Convenient to walk to local shops, restaurants, market etc.

Negatives:

The overall look of the "resort" is a cross between a halfway house and a seedy motel. They do have lovely planters scattered around the two courtyards and pool area but not enough to take away just how unappealing the place looks. The courtyard area doesn't get a lot of sun - and everything is either cement or painted brown, it's got an overcast look about it - and luckily the weather we had was perfection. Unfortunately people smoked day and night at the tables in the courtyard which the rooms face, we kept closing our room window and waiting it out. IF smoking is prohibited on this property a sign stating that was not posted anywhere.

NO Wi-Fi in the rooms! The room walls are a light brown cinderblock (imagine BROWN CINDERBLOCK.) The television set was a little 17"-19" screen and so small we couldn't read the words on the channel guide from the bed. I lost a sock and looked under the beds and found loose cheese puffs left behind from previous guests. Nothing else in the room looked dirty, the bathroom clean.
Strangely the ONLY hook in the bathroom area was on the wall directly above the toilet paper roll holder - my bathing suit dripped onto the toilet paper all night ... other guests hung their wet suits outside the front door over the railing only adding to the lack luster surroundings.

I canceled our mud bath bookings because I wanted to spend my time in a nicer facility that was uplifting.

I truly hope that the owners consider updating this facility while keeping some of the old quirkiness that's so appealing in places like Palm Springs and South Beach Miami - they could turn this place into a gem.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 00MVCA00
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear OOMVCADOO,

While I thank you for your kind words I am disappointed that you refer to the resort as a halfway house/seedy motel, I must admit that I've never thought of half way houses and seedy motels having "lovely planting".

The photos on our website do not lie. Our buildings are mid-century modern in a classic design and as most reviews here indicate our rooms are comfortable and offer easy access to the three pools. Yes, the buildings are of cinder block, as shown on our website. We do not have a Tuscan Villia look to the property and have maintained the buildings in their historical fashion....we are not trying to create a South Beach look.

Thank you for your comments regarding general housekeeping and services. Naturally, I am sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations. I hope that you find a property that more suits your needs.

Best wishes,

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here on a recent Friday night. The room rate was very good. We went in the 90 degree pool and twice in the indoor pool and enjoyed both. The market next door has a wonderful salad bar and you can walk to restaurants and shops.
When got home from our 5 day much enjoyed trip, I checked my credit card charges and noted a $55.00 charge from Doc Wilkinson's. We had paid the room in advance and couldn't figure out what it could be. I called the resort and was told that we had caused damage to the room.
We are an retired couple, quiet, neat, clean and very responsible and respectful with regard to the property of others. It is claimed that we cracked a glass top to a nightstand during our stay there. We simply did not do that. Unfortunately we did not take photos of everything breakable in the room as we trust that we will not be falsely charged with damages as we have never been charged with any damages to a hotel room. Next time we will take photos anywhere we stay as this experience is very disturbing and insulting. We are very careful and have minimum impact on a room wherever we stay. We did not break or crack anything.
First of all, we didn't use that nightstand except to perhaps hold a pair of glasses or maybe a TV remote but probably not even those. Perhaps the wrong room was reported. On the afternoon of our arrival, there was much noise in the room 32 above us including a lot of heavy thumping, etc., banging of furniture against walls, going on for at least 30 minutes non stop. We left for about an hour just to get away from it.
We ate our dinner of salads on the round table, cleaned up, recycled and went to bed. At no time did we bang into or set anything heavy on the nightstand. In that room it is next to the bathroom wall and was not used by us very much if at all. We did not even turn on the lamp on that side. Perhaps if we had, we would have seen the crack and reported it immediately. The only conclusion that makes any sense to us is that it was cracked before and not noticed, or the housekeeper may have done it accidentally and not realized it.
We have communicated with James the customer service person regarding this without any satisfaction. I trust that he passed along our concerns to the owner as I requested him to do that. They apparently are not going to rescind the charge. We are disputing the charge on our credit card. We want others to know about this so they can take action to prevent this from happening to them.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor and take photos of breakables