“Beyond phenomenal!!”
Review of Chateau de Vie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Chateau de Vie
Ranked #1 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Chateau De Vie made for a perfect first experience with a bed and breakfast. My wife and I went here for our six year anniversary on a Sunday evening. We were greeted with a few glasses of wine and a plate of cheese and fruit; this was enjoyed on the back porch, overlooking vineyards and the mountains in the distance. The room was quiet, comfortable and secluded. We enjoyed the hot tub, open until midnight. Breakfast on Monday morning was beyond phenomenal. Starting with a plate of fresh fruit, orange juice and coffee, we were surprised with rosemary, strawberry lemon muffins. Wow!! Then a main course of eggs with brie cheese and fresh tarragon from the garden, a side of shiitake mushrooms and a glass of chardonnay. We weren't hurried out, took a walk around the vineyard and were on our way after 11 a.m. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone going to the Napa Valley region and am excited to return. Thank you for a phenomenal stay!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good; the queen room we stayed in did have a private bath but you had to walk through...
1  Thank Ryan B

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have traveled to so many places and stayed in nice B&Bs, but nothing beats this experience. I stayed here for a night during the summer for a special occasion. The hosts were perfect and took care of every little detail associated with my occasion. The room is fantastic with views of their vineyards. They have wines in the evening + homemade mixes, fruits and snacks - yummy, which you can grab and walk around the wineyards - what a romantic thing. The best part - their breakfast - which is the best food I have ever had :).
I cant recommend this place enough

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I feel like a thief who stole a Renoir; much of the enjoyment comes from sharing something so fine. But then, EVERYONE WILL KNOW!

Oh, well, I just have to share: Having lived and worked in Napa and Sonoma Counties for many years, now that we are retired and live only three hours away, we return at least once a month to visit our family and enjoy the Wine Country. We enjoy travel and stay at B&B’s and hotels in the U.S. as well as abroad. I highly recommend Chateau de Vie as uniquely refreshing from the more touristy accommodations available down-valley. As a couple, we felt it was our finest B&B experience to date.

This lovely, petite chateau is very conveniently located just minutes west of Calistoga on Hwy. 128 with its own vineyard separating it from the main road. We arrived at 5pm to be greeted by one of our hosts, Phillip. His smiling, soft-spoken manner was instantly welcoming. We were escorted through the common-area gathering room, as he remarked on the amenities, then outdoors where he suggested relaxing with some wine and cheese before going to our room. We were seated on the inviting, shaded terrace and, after inquiring as to red or white, he offered a Chateau de Vie ’08 cabernet, describing the wine as coming from their own vineyards. Very good! He left to prepare our snack in addition to making dinner reservations for us. He returned with a generous plate of triple creme brie, manchego, walnuts, and grapes served with house-made crostini and Phillip’s own tasty sun-dried tomato tapenade. A second glass of wine was their 2007 cab; a mini vertical tasting! How could one find a better check-in procedure?

After we had unwound, Phillip showed us the lovely grounds, meticulously landscaped and surrounded by vineyards, with views of the cliffs above the vines. As we headed toward our room, he pointed out the wine station in the dining room which is available ‘round the clock. He also insisted on helping my husband retrieve our bags from the car.

Our third floor “King Jr. Suite” was perfect. We are both tall, and did not find the sloping ceiling problematic in any way. The bed was heavenly with its 6 pillows and soft sheets. The views from the dormer window and one of the low skylights are beautiful. This room has a flatscreen, love seat, desk, dresser, refrigerator with complimentary soft drinks and bottled water, a charming welcome basket with gifts, and was very tastefully appointed. The ensuite is small but every inch of space is perfectly utilized and there was a rainfall shower-head plus a lighted magnifying mirror for make-up. I think we want this room again as we found it to be quite cozy although the Carriage House sounds tempting ... The entire inn is meticulously clean; even the leaves on the living plant in our room were polished!

Next morning, excellent coffee was available only steps away on the second floor landing and the hallway was filled with appetizing aromas from the kitchen below.
We had been told that breakfast began at 9am but we were welcome to sleep late and it would be no problem. Breakfast on the terrace was served by our second host, Peter, who is equal in charm to Phillip. Assorted beverages were available and our meal began with plates of perfectly ripe fresh fruit accompanied by a basket of Phillip’s cranberry-orange scones with pumpkin seeds. With great difficulty, I wisely ate only one scone as I had been eyeing the substantial-looking entrées carried past us while we enjoyed our first course.

Phillip left the stove to personally bring his creation of eggs scrambled with tarragon and brie alongside sautéed shitake mushrooms with toast. He recounted a legend that in the early days of the valley, after the harvest, the vintners got together for a breakfast of eggs and mushrooms with a glass of chardonnay, which Peter served. How charming! Did I mention how fresh and utterly delicious everything tasted? After we had finished our meal, I told my husband I would be dreaming about the uneaten scone at home that night.

Since check-out was not until noon, we walked about the grounds and vineyards, admiring and photographing, oohing and aaahing. Later, as we came back to the terrace, Phillip presented to me, a white paper bag with my uneaten scone! Such a small act but so memorably gracious.

Later, we had lovely conversations with both Peter and Phillip. Really an exceptional experience overall as our hosts magically anticipated our every need but were not at all intrusive or pretentious. The attention to detail and their passion for what they do is reflected in the ambience. I can’t think of a single negative and we are eagerly looking forward to our next visit.
Oh, and my husband didn't even turn on TV for the news ... he was just too relaxed.

Room Tip: We loved our top floor King Jr. Suite. Extremely quiet.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This place was just so lovely! We were sorry to miss Peter and Philip whom were away (Happy Birthday Peter!!) but the ladies looking after the place were so wonderful and really took care of us. We are sorry we didn't catch their names but they took very good care of us. We cant thank you enough for making our honeymoon stay in napa so wonderful- we were so grateful for the Carriage house- it was so beautiful and felt like our little cottage in the vines. Sitting out for breakfast was a delight and the whole property was just lovely. Wine and cheese there for you each afternoon was lovely.

Thank you so much for the champagne too- what a lovely treat- we enjoyed the afternoon after doing a champagne tasting nearby in the morning!

We didnt visit St Helena/napa itselt so cant comment but Calistoga was everything we imagined the napa valley to be- pretty little town surrounded by vineyard after vineyard- we would not hesitate for a second in recommending this place!

The shuttle bus was also incredibly useful, we used it each night - they literally drive in the drive to pick you up!

Thank you all!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I almost hate to tell everyone how much I loved this place as I would love for it to be our "secret" place. I truly cannot say enough good things about our stay here. It was our first trip to Napa and there were so many things and places we wanted to see. However, Chateau de Vie was such a beautiful place that we really didn't leave it! The rooms are very comfortable and quiet. The gardens and vineyard are breathtakingly beautiful. The breakfasts that Phillip prepares are "off the charts" fabulous. I'm sure I will not ever have a better sconce than the ones he prepared our last morning there. The owners of the Chateau are what make it such a special place to stay. Attention to detail, fantastic breakfasts, wonderful afternoon wine pairings with cheese trays and fresh fruit while sitting on a beautiful shaded patio looking out over the vineyards...ahh, I want to go back! Calistoga is a great place if you like quaint small towns that have wonderful food and friendly people. We went to Napa, Sonoma, Glen Ellen and Mendocino and stayed in fabulous places each time. Nothing, however, compared to Calistoga and Chateau De Vie. It's like a fine wine...perfectly balanced and utterly enjoyable. Peter and Phillip - thank you for everything that you do. You are what makes Chateau de Vie a memorable place to stay. Your warmth, hospitality and attention to every detail are what makes this place ROCK! We hope to see you again soon! The Baileys

Room Tip: King Suites are a little bigger and do have a TV if that makes a difference to you. The room we wer...
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Chateau de Vie is a perfect balance of beautiful elegance and excellent service without any pretentious attitudes. The surrounding gardens are beautiful, the breakfast is absolutely delicious, and the attention to detail shows in every inch of the property. Our room was very comfortable and so quiet that we actually slept in which is something we never do! The owners are incredibly helpful with suggestions of things to do and places to see and they also made our dinner reservations in Calistoga. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just a lovely lovely place....the food is excellant, graciously served....and i just love a place that sets the coffee out in the morning so if you need that first cup you can get it at your leisure...had the new york times too, which we like...peter offered wonderful advice on the area, places to go, roads to drive down...very appreciated...the view from the back is positively addictive--you cant wait to sit back there, drink wine and just unwind...very much enjoyed the pool too....the whole place is very thought-out...the only thing i can say is that if the other guests here are not to your liking or are inconsiderate, you will definitly have to deal with them, its a small place...calistoga is a fun little town, and it is easy to gt to all of napa from here so is a perfect location...

Room Tip: I imagine all the rooms here are very pleasant. We had the third floor and it was great
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Wine Country Inn & Cottages
#3 of 27 in Calistoga
Napa Vineyard Inn
Napa Vineyard Inn
#1 of 22 in Napa

Been to Chateau de Vie? Share your experiences!