“Cottage Grove was a nice getaway”
Review of Cottage Grove Inn

Cottage Grove Inn
Ranked #3 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I meant to write this review right after our stay... I hope this will help people make a decision about this place. We went to the Cottage Grove Inn for my birthday. Calistoga is a wonderful town to spend a special occassion. And we decided to splurge and stay in one of the nicest and most recommended places in town.

The good:
nice large whirlpool hot tub in the bathroom
very clean
extremely romantic
wonderful fireplace
cheery and unique decorations
comfortable bed and room overall

The bad:
a little (or a lot) expensive for what you get
rather loud street noise
tv/dvd player did not work very well
parking is a little far from the cottage

Overall, I really enjoyed our stay at the Cottage Grove Inn. It was romantic with the large hot tub and fireplace. I even liked the breakfast and the free tioletries (E & O Products). But I was very disappointed with the street noise. The Inn is basically right on a major road or highway (with only one unit not along the highway). Despite having an overhead fan on the whole night, we could hear traffic and trucks pass by regularly during the day and at times throughout the night. Although they do somewhat of a good job with insulation, it is not all that quiet. It is also not extremely loud either ( I know I am sensitive to noise). However, if I am paying that much money to go to a relaxing place, I don't want a room that basically is right along a busy road. Also, for what we paid and what we got, I really didn't think it was worth it. So, although we enjoyed our stay, I probably wouldn't return. Instead, I would find a less expensive, quieter and more relaxing place to stay. I hope you enjoy your time in Calistoga!

• Stayed: March 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank marinite11

Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a week’s stay in Napa and Sonoma and we spent 3 nights at Cottage Grove. This place is great! The website’s description is accurate; what you see is what you get -- there are no hidden surprises. Previous reviewers’ comments describe the cottages very well: skylights, ceiling fans, great decor, excellent linens, very comfortable beds, wonderful, deep Jacuzzi with bath salts, and a built-in cabinet with wet bar, refrigerator, sink, glassware (wines and flutes), ice bucket, paper towels, TV/DVD, etc, AND very clean. My favorite was the cable music--absolutely no commercials or station identifers and a large variety of music channels--great! When we walked in the air conditioning had already been turned on and classical music was playing. A good change from walking into a hot and stuffy room. There was even champagne (Mumm’s) provided by management to celebrate our anniversary! Very welcoming, indeed.

Our cottage had its back on the main road (Lincoln Ave./Hwy 29), but I never once heard any traffic noise as someone else described. I was very impressed with the way the place was built around all of the trees; it was always shady and private. It was a pretty place to sit on the porch (with its wicker rocking chairs) or at the tables outside the office and common room.

Breakfast is exactly as they described it: expanded continental (cereal, yogurt, fruit, pastries, coffee and tea). My biggest recommendation for improvement would be for them to add some kind of protein, such as egg casseroles or even hard-boiled eggs (better than all carbs, particularly before wine tasting). What was available was good, however. Plus, there is a wooden tray in the cottage for you to use to carry items back to your place if you wish to eat there.

Great selection of cheeses in the afternoon and even decent wine, 3 whites and 3 reds. I liked the Folie à Deux Ménage à Trois and the Hess Select.

We had stayed at Cottage Grove once before, about 5 years ago. And to tell the truth, we had not been back here earlier due to the amount of signage around the place; it was as if a fussy, old lady was following you around shaking her finger in your face saying, “Don’t do this, don’t do that,” and NO SMOKING signs absolutely everywhere. I don’t smoke, but I found that very irritating. At that time management seemed to be wound pretty tight. Why would the owners or management assume guests were so irresponsible that they needed constant reminders? Happily, neither my husband nor I found that to be the case this time. Yes, there are still signs, but these are for directions, such as how to use the Jacuzzi or how to build a fire in the fireplace. Additionally, management and all the workers there were friendly and accommodating.

We usually come to Napa and Sonoma counties once a year for a week’s stay and usually make Calistoga our “home base.” It’s a great city as you can easily get to wineries from here and Silverado Trail is a great alternate route to Hwy 29. There are good restaurants here that you can easily walk to (if staying in town) and some great shops. A favorite shop of mine is American Indian Trading Company on Lincoln which has beautiful stuff (jewelry, fetishes, pottery, belts, etc). The owner has a very good eye for well-made pieces and promotes Native American artists.

We both prefer to stay in places that have a separate entrance and privacy. Since CG has its own individual cottages, this fits the bill--you will never hear other guests on the other side of the wall or above you! Also, we are usually not very interested in gathering in a common area where a host gets a conversation going among the guests (such as during breakfast or the afternoon wine & cheeses), so again CG was perfect for what we want in a place. We’ve been at B&Bs that do that and that can be great, but it’s generally not what we are looking for in a place to stay. My husband spends most of his time in meetings during his workday, so being left alone is a great option during vacations.

I highly recommend Cottage Grove and intend to return. This place has more amenities than to be found anywhere for the price. Other reviewers stated it was pricey, but at $250/weeknight ($280 w/taxes), it falls in the moderate range for Napa Valley. We had thoroughly enjoyed the amenities once before and now with the current friendly attitude of management in place, we will return again and again. Obviously, I was impressed with this place and hence this long review. I hope this helps others in deciding whether to stay or not.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank jackiekc
A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Nice property, but if your stay has to be shortened for any reason, you will be charged for all nights reserved. I initially booked for two nights, but for family reasons, had to leave after one. My credit card was backcharged, so I wound up paying a total of $616, which for a one night stay, seems excessive. I called management who wasn't receptive to making any changes such as future credit, etc. Based on my experiece, I don't think I would go back.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded June 19, 2006

When our guests check in they sign their registation card stating that they will be responsible for all nights reserved. On this instance, the guest did not inform the front desk of the reason for leaving but simply said I'm just leaving. At this time the guest was informed that he would be charged for the remainder of his stay. It was not until three to four days later did the guest complain. There are certain instances that we would consider having the guest only pay for actual the nights stayed ie:death in the family, hospitlization,etc.....

Reviewed May 20, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Cottage Grove Inn to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary - as part of a drive down the California coast. We happened upon it thanks to the good reviews on this site, and couldn't have been happier. It's just a few steps away from the "downtown" area of Calistoga, but it's hidden away within the trees and you feel far away from everything. The cottages are nicely appointed, spacious enough for two people to spread out a bit, and make a great little home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank dschley
A TripAdvisor Member
Kirland, WA
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our 1st wedding anniversary and were delighted when we drove into the private street. Our first reaction was on how cute the cottages were. We were even more delighted when we entered our cottage to find it looking exactly as the pictures and there was even some cheese, crackers, and wine waiting our arrival (since we arrived after the wine and cheese hour).

The staff was friendly and very helpful with dinner reservations. There also were coupons for free wine tasting at several of the wineries.

I had read earlier that someone felt that there was an abundance of signage around the cottage, and though this is true, we didn't notice it after a while.

We had a wonderful stay at the Cottage Grove Inn and would stay there again. And comparing it to other B&B's in Calistoga, this one is by far the best.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2006

After reading all the good reviews on this site, I booked two nights at the Cottage Grove Inn in Calistoga for an early Valentine's getaway. It was wonderful. Since we have a 1 year old daughter and 3 year old son, I have to say we stayed in the room quite a bit. We had the Santa Barbara, #117, which is considered their handicap accessible because it has a ramp and larger bathroom. A very nice room! The tub isn't as big as the other rooms, I'm told it was a 75 gallon versus 95 gallon, but still plenty big enough for two. The fireplace was wonderful (we did use it quite a bit even though we had beautiful 70 degree weather), the bed was to die for--all feather down and super soft and luxurious. The continental breakfast was just that -- nothing too out of the ordinary, but very nice that you could bring your tray back to your room. Wine and cheese from 5-7 each evening was great and you could also take that back to your room as well. The Inn is so private and cozy, each cottage has a porch with rocking chairs and your own parking spot (lots of birds, consequently lots of poop on the car -- one drawback). It's very conveniently located to everything. We ate at Flat Iron Grill and Brennans (excellent) and had couples mud baths/massages/facials at Golden Haven Springs and Lavender Hills -- very nice! We did a little wine tasting but mostly enjoyed our cozy cottage. The staff was very accommodating and extremely friendly. They were great at giving directions, printing a coupon off the internet for me, and even letting us take a peak at another cottage. No disappointments here. We paid $295 a night which I thought was reasonable considering some of the other places I checked into that seemed comparable. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank donnabaf
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Fantastic setup for a romantic get away - private cottages, in room fireplace, 2 person jacuzzi tubs, good sound system, fantastic linens on the beds. The breakfast wasn't great (terrible pastries) and there are laminated notes EVERYWHERE in the room (so you kind of feel like you are staying at a fussy grandmother's house) - but just stack the notes in a drawer & enjoy!!

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank pohlmann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Brannan Cottage Inn
#5 of 27 in Calistoga
Indian Springs Resort and Spa
Solage, an Auberge Resort

Been to Cottage Grove Inn? Share your experiences!