“Nice B&B but too Costly”
Review of The Bergson

The Bergson
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Lumberton
“Nice B&B but too Costly”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This B&B is nice. The location is great on Rt. 29 in Calistoga within walking distance of downtown and drives to the wineries. The rooms were nicely decorated. Breakfast consists of juice, coffee, a pastry, and some fruit delivered to your room in a basket. I kind of expected more for the 200 plus dollars a night. It would not rank high on a scale compared to other B&Bs I have been to. I guess the location trumps the value. Note, you must pay in advance for your entire stay which can be risky. The other B&B we were planning to use is 2 blocks away and they did go out of business. It is nice but I would not go running back. I would try something in St.Helena next time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Southern California
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We had a beautiful, spacious room, #3, which was really a junior suite. It was a corner room with four wonderful, balloon-shaded wood windows, so there was plenty of light.

A difference in ceiling heights suggested three sections to the room. To the right as you enter the room was the bedroom part (queen bed), with bathroom (with skylight) off that. To the left from the entry was a sitting area with Chippendale chairs and coffee table in front of a fireplace. There was also a small, built-in desk. The center section was the most special of all, with a high, beamed and peaked ceiling. Straight ahead were two pink silk Bergere chairs (down cushions) flanking a console and carved Chinese screens inlaid with mother-of-pearl -- all in front of a lovely window. Though the silk chairs had very slight staining (they would be almost impossible to clean), I give 5 stars to the room for its spaciousness, light, and the high-quality/special furnishings.

However, much as it pains me -- even just because of that Chinese screen alone! -- I must give the hotel an overall rating of 2. Christopher's Inn has too many strikes against it.

Cleanliness and Upkeep:
We are not the first ones to comment negatively about the degree of cleanliness. LOTS of dust on that gorgeous Chinese screen and elsewhere (including on some small, cheap, fake-silk flower arrangements -- just toss them!). Large cobwebs. Also green gunk trapped in the plastic water faucet handle. The tub was large but could probably use reglazing. I'll try to upload some photos of cleanliness issues.

The light over the tub either didn't work or was burned out. It was not a problem during the daylight hours because of the skylight (and with an almost-full moon, the skylight made a great night light), but for our early-morning departure, the lighting was insufficient for grooming.

Location & Sleep Quality:
I rated Location a 3 because it's a mixed bag. The location of the inn is great for visiting the wineries in the area, and is within walking distance of the cute shopping/restaurant area of Calistoga. However, Room #3 -- and this may be different for other rooms there -- faces the highway, and that highway is a busy truck route. Trucks are going ALL NIGHT LONG, no doubt carrying important shipments of wine to and from the wineries. (In a reference to our having spent the previous night on Monterey's Cannery Row, my husband said that next time we shouldn't stay on "Winery Row." ;))

Our sleep was also hampered because the balloon shades didn't have sufficient lining to block the light from all those trucks coming and going. Obviously the hotel can't control the noise from them, but we thought there was no excuse for not doing a better job of controlling the lights that got brighter (then darker) with each passing truck.

Earplugs and eyeshades are a must!

Breakfast:
Breakfast consisted of a granola/yogurt/fruit parfait, coffee cake, orange juice and coffee (2 cups per person), which was brought to our door. There was no choice offered of decaf or tea. For those four cups of coffee, the breakfast basket contained half-and-half, 2 sugars and 1 Splenda. Thankfully, I don't sweeten my coffee or there wouldn't have been enough sugar for both of us.

We were told that breakfast would be announced by a knock on the door. We'd read a previous TripAdvisor review that said there was no knock, so we listened carefully (we were up in plenty of time). We also heard no knock. We were glad to have been forewarned about that, so opened the door to check, and there sat our breakfast.

In Summary:
Again, I think there are probably quieter rooms than the one we had, and rooms that would not have been affected by truck headlights. But the cleanliness issue is another matter -- thankfully, the easiest to rectify, and I hope the establishment will do that. I'm not a clean freak, so if I think its sub-standard, that should perhaps be a word to the wise.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Warning please do not be fooled by the many good reviews you read about this Inn. The not so good reviews are real. We stayed in room #14 for one night. There were cobwebs in the corner of the room along with a nice size spider. The carpets are very stained and dirty as pointed out by other visitors. The room was very dusty. I had a very difficult time breathing in the room and felt as if I needed fresh air constantly. If you have any respiratory problems take the advisement "stay away". My husband and I were very disappointed given the cost for the one night stay. The jacuzzi tub was nice but somewhat small for what was advertised as a two person's tub. Also they have a large size 19 inch television that stuck out too much from the dresser making it difficult to move freely past the bed. For the amount charged there really needs to be a plasma television in the room. Also there was a small patio area for the room that appears to have never have had any work at manicuring it's appearance. An awful waste.
Despite everything else I must mention the woman that greeted me at the front desk was very nice, knowledgeable and was helpful with interesting sites to visit and other tidbits. The only thing that concerned me was when I was trying to give her the key the next morning, she was talking to someone and kept talking for a while. She never acknowledged me even though she did see me and when another visitor came up she started talking to them ending her conversation with the 1st party. I had to say excuse me to get her to respond and all I wanted to do was give her the key.
I read quite a few reviews before making my choice and in doing so I saw that the manager/owner made after thought comments after some parties reviews. Most comments made were that the visitor should have told them their concerns. Well it was not until I was lying in the bed that I could see the cobwebs and spider. Also would they have moved me if I said it was dusty and the carpet is too spotty?Would they have had a better room as there were concerns reported by others about other rooms with similar problems. I will never know. They have to know already that the carpets are spotty and the cleaning staff should be checking for cobwebs daily. To charge over 300.00 a night is a total ripoff. The breakfast with two crossaints and a dessert dish of yogurt with a small amount of fruit was very minimal for the price you pay to stay. The basket with these items was left at my door and I did not hear a knock to let me know it was there so I really don't know how long it was outside my door. They gave us cups for coffee and coffee in a Karafe but only 3 sugar packets for two people.
Until they take their customers and repetation more serious, please be aware. After you have paid your money it is too late. This is the only review I have ever written but due to my disgust I thought it worthy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
christophersinn, Manager at The Bergson, responded to this review, September 17, 2010
As the Manager of Christophers Inn, I'd like to respond to a less than flattering review. In this review, cobwebs were mentioned as being present. This is definitely unacceptable if in fact they were actually there. Even though we dust the rooms daily, they unfortunately do appear. I personally followed up on this complaint as it means the maids may not be following explicit instructions to dust in all corners, including the ceiling. I did inspect the room personally, and could find no evidence of cobwebs. This is another reason why it is so important for guests to inform us immediately of a problem, which this guest did not do. That way we can physically see the problem and identify the maid that cleaned the room. The carpets are cleaned regularly, but we did locate an overlooked coffee stain by the fireplace after the guest left that was immediately spot-cleaned. As to what the guest felt was the high cost of the room, we are not clear as to what she felt was exorbitant. The room was shown to the guest prior to occupancy, and was accepted at the rate offered. The room is a luxury unit, featuring a king-sized bed, patio, Jacuzzi, fireplace and breakfast delivered to the room. As an additional bonus, we offer 10% off at several local restaurants and an $80 value given in free wine-tasting certificates. The guest also indicated the tub was small for her. The tub is a two-person Jacuzzi manufactured by the Jacuzzi Corporation. I cannot recall the size of this guest, nor her spouse, but normally two people can comfortably sit in this tub. The guest indicated that the patio area is not large. This is a 15 by 24 foot patio garden area containing a table, two chairs, and a fountain which has never been described as small by any other guests. She indicated she was angry for having to wait to hand in her key. For utmost convenience, we inform all our guests that there is a clearly marked express key drop at the front office and that there is no formal checkout process required. She must have forgotten this. It appears the guest was unhappy with the breakfast delivered to her room. We offer an expanded continental breakfast basket brought to the room containing fresh orange juice, Granola, yogurt and fresh-cut fruit, fresh-baked croissants or muffins, and coffee, tea or both. Having no idea what this guest normally consumes, it is impossible to respond to her complaint. The breakfast is left outside the door with a knock on the door. We instruct our maids to knock with modest vigor so as not to startle or disturb the guest. This guest was most unhappy with receiving only three sugar packets. She could have called the front desk for more sugar, coffee, tea, or anything else she required. We find it difficult to sympathize with a guest that is gauging her entire stay on the fact that three sugar packets were the defining factor of her visit. We have been in busines for more than 20 years, and receive many well-satisfied repeat guests who express their unqualified positive reviews, vastly outnumbering the small number of negative opinions.Two major movie studios and their stars stayed at the inn while filiming movies recently, and were so happy here that they stayed an extra week.
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed at Christopher's Inn with our extended family that were visiting from abroad. Della (the owner) was so nice and welcoming; we felt as we were at home. She not only upgraded our rooms and gave us an exceptional customer service, but also took the time to review the many restaurants, hot springs and wineries that the area had to offer. Had a wonderful time during our stay and would definitely consider going back to Christopher's Inn in a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We stayed at Christopher's Inn for our honeymoon. When we mentioned to Adela (the owner) that we were on a honeymoon, she upgraded our room to a honeymoon suite and for free!!! Wow, that was really nice!!! Adela is such a wonderful person and gave us an exceptional customer service! She even took time to show us the Map of Calistoga and gave us tips on what's the best place to visit and tour around. Because of her tips we've seen the best wineries and even the ones that were hidden! The honeymoon suite was cozy and beautiful, we felt at home!! We are looking forward for our next vacation at Christopher's Inn!!!

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Wanted to stay and successfully made a reservation on-line. got a cancellation notice a few hours later. The web site is NOT in sync with the real reservations. Call directly to avoid disappointment.

christophersinn, Manager at The Bergson, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Some weekends do require a two night stay with a Saturday night stay in our busiest season. This is clearly stated on our website to avoid confusion. This guest was very disappointed and truly wanted to stay with us as she had heard so many good reviews about us, but as we had such limited availability on the Saturday night she wanted to stay, we could not fulful her wishes. We try very hard to work with our clients, and offered many other options, however, none of the choices appeared to work for this guest who indicated she would post a negative review about us unless we offered her the specific room night on the date she wished. Unfortunately this option does not work for us.
sunnyvale
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Quaint and comfortable, great location-1 block from downtown Calistoga. The room was soo cute and romantic. The bed was to die for, we actually sunk into a luxurious feather pillow top and slept like babies. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious, grounds well kept. Everything was great, we will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Mount View Hotel & Spa
#6 of 15 in Calistoga
Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa
Best Western Plus Stevenson Manor
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn
Wine Country Inn & Cottages
Comfort Inn Calistoga, Hot Springs of the West

Been to The Bergson? Share your experiences!