“Thoroughly surprised - will come back”
Review of The Bergson

The Bergson
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
San Jose, California
“Thoroughly surprised - will come back”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Noticed this hotel on Expedia, and then got an even better deal on their direct website. At the AAA rate we paid, it was a no brainer. The place is very clean, bathroom had large mirror, coffeemaker, qtips, cotton balls, various soaps, real drinking glasses, wine glasses, real mugs, organic coffee. our room had three windows with plantation shutters, gas fireplace, flat screen TV, complimentary Wifi. Reception was very friendly, efficient and had coffee, tea, cookies, fruit plate, fire place, small library. We were surprised to learn that use of the hot tub at their sister property (the Euro Spa) was included. Fluffy robes were provided in the room. Window AC may be noisy, also some proximity to street may be bothersome for very light sleepers, however we found that route 29 (which is right next to the Inn) gets pretty quiet after 10pm.
Their breakfast is a super bonus: nice granola muesli, fruit salad, whole grain toast, danish pastries, milk, orange juice - all served with real silver ware, no plastic or foam!

Room Tip: Get the triple AAA rate on their website directly
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank usuallyhappytravels
James F, Manager at The Bergson, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear UHT,

Thank you for sharing such a glowing review on your recent stay with us at Christopher's Inn Calistoga. I'm so pleased to hear that you were delighted with your accomodations and enjoyed our complimentary gourmet continental breakfast. We look forward to having you with us on your next trip to Calistoga.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Pasadena, California, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great location. We got the queen bed room with jacuzzi tub and fireplace. We loved the tub and it was cold outside so the fireplace was awesome. The bed was ok. If I had to complain about something about this property it would be the breakfast. I've honestly had better breakfasts at Hampton Inns and Residence Inns. It's a continental breakfast and not a very good one at that. If the breakfast had been better I would give this place five stars. This seems like such an easy thing for them to fix!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for New Years Eve and New Years and I will tell you that this place is perfect. It's right on the main Napa Valley road, and if you're looking to visit the northern wineries in Calistoga or Saint Helena, this is a perfect place to stay.

Firs toff, Sandra, the building manager, is very charming and super nice. She gave us all of the information around the area and even recommended a place for brunch on New Years Day where most places would typically be closed. She attended to all of our needs, and even got us buckets of ice for us to enjoy our champagnes.

The rooms were quaint and very well decorated. Our room came with a complete jacuzzi / shower combo which was a pleasure to use. The interior decoration is very home-like and feels very comfortable. It was absolutely freezing outside, however, the rooms were very well heated. A four post bed was very comfortable and each bed had plenty of pillows, all of which were very comfortable.

Continental breakfast is included, with fruits, bagels, and pastries all self-served. Coffee and an espresso machine are available as well.

This place was perfect and should we need to stay in Calistoga again, we would not hesistate to call this place home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laztigger
Carmel, California
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Of the many places we have stayed this year, Christopher's had the most friendly and accommodating staff. We stayed in two rooms, one tiny but warm and cozy and the other much larger with ample seating area, gas fireplace, large jetted tub and shower and an excellent 4-poster bed. Breakfast included and terrific.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul B
Ladera Ranch, California
Reviewed November 28, 2012

This property is very charming! Walking distance to the town and very close to our favorite winery Castello di Amorosa. We arrive late on Thursday Thanksgiving day and Sandy was waiting to check us in. Shes very friendly and very helpful. We stayed in Room #4 Queen size bed was very comfortable but our heater wasnt working so it was a bit chilly. We mention it to Sandy the next day and she was on it right away. They werent able to fix it but she made sure we had a heater that night so she went next door to the spa and got us one :) Breakfast is delicious but try to make it early because it runs out. My only complain is that the room we stayed had pink carpet and i understand it goes with the decor but it had alot of stains :( that alone makes the room feel dirty even though it wasnt. Thats why im going to give it a 4. Other than that i will be back to Christophers Inn!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
James F, Manager at The Bergson, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Lidia,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us at Christopher's Inn Calistoga.I would like to apologize for the heater not working properly in your guest room. I'm so pleased to hear that Sandra was able to assist you in providing a temporary solution so you were comfortable the rest of your stay. We are in the process of redesigning our guest rooms and I'm happy to say the carpet will be going as well. I look forward to welcoming you back so you can see the finished product.

Monterey, California
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This property is listed as being a B&B. When we checked in we were told you get a gourmet continental breakfast. Really!! It should be listed as a Bed & Continental. This is not what we were expecting and were very disappointed. Staff did upgrade our room and when they showed us what was they had to offer we just took it without really looking it over first because I was somewhat bothered by the whole situation. The carpet was filthy which turned my stomach and I was not in the mood to inspect every room. We did make the best of the situation but would never stay there again or recommend it to anyone. Mind you this was my birthday weekend. Just saying!! :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toni A
James F, Manager at The Bergson, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Toni A,

Thank you for the honest feedback on your recent stay with us at Christopher's Inn Calistoga. I would like to apologize for the confusion with regards to our Inn. We recently purchased this property a few months ago when it was previsously run as a B&B. We are in the process of redesigning each of our guest rooms as well as our lobby area within the next few months. I hope you decide to give us another chance once we've completed this process so we can make up for your most recent stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at any time and I would be more than happy to personally assist you.

(707) 942-5755
Monterey
Reviewed November 14, 2012

You know when you receive excellent customer service and have a positive experience, it needs to be shared with others. That is what happened with Christopher's Inn in Calistoga. My excellent customer service started even before I arrived in Calistoga. I called the day before to confirm my reservation and talked with a very nice woman named Sandy. She confirmed my reservation and assured me that my room would be waiting for me whenever I got into town. When I did get in to Calistoga, James checked me in and gave me Room #16 (Joe Montana's number) I knew it was a good sign. The room was fantastic. It has high ceilings, a private patio with table and chairs, a fireplace, a jacuzzi tub, a very comfortable Queen size bed, etc. I would definitely get this room again as it was so nice!

They have a complimentary breakfast every morning from 8:00am to 10:00am which consisted of coffee, juice, a selection of cereals, pastries, bagels, hard boiled eggs, fruit salad, fresh fruit and other items. It was more than enough to get your day started on the right track!

One evening when I was there, they had a representative from a winery come in and she was pouring wine and had fruit and cheese to go along with it. A very nice touch indeed.

On my departure, Trevor checked me out and gave me some wine tasting passes for a couple of local wineries.

All in all, my experience in Calistoga and my stay at Christopher's Inn was most pleasant and I look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: I liked my room (#16) it was at the end of the building with a private patio and no room above. Very...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Hotel Napa Valley
Hotel Napa Valley
#6 of 30 in Napa
Wine Country Inn & Cottages

Been to The Bergson? Share your experiences!